Another 1HZ DIY turbo conversion.... ALL DIY not a kit... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am running a stock FTE ct26 turbo in my 1HZ, have been since Jan of 21. I have EGT and psi in the a pillar mount you showed. One of these days I’ll get an intercooler installed, but for the last almost 2 years it’s been a blast and I’m very happy I did. I just did a basic adjustment with the max fuel and idle screw. I should have done the boost comp star wheel adjustment using pressure before I installed it to really dial it in, but I just left it stock. I push 14psi max, and my exhaust is very clean. My max opacity is 6% at 60mph (for reference my grandpas stock 92 Cummins was 30%). The good news is diesels aren’t hurt by running lean like their gasoline brethren. So I just adjust my screw to where it felt like the turbo spooled well, but I wasn’t blowing smoke(really just wasting fuel at that point). AFR makes it earlier to know what’s goin on, but not impossible without.
What EGT’s are you seeing if you push it a bit?

If I'm pushing it up a grade, I will get to 1000-1100F, pre turbo. If I'm towing or heavy loaded it will go past that, so I just back off. But it will hold at 1000 pretty well. Most driving it just fluctuates between 600 and 1000 the whole time.
Watching and reading all this, as I get ready to do a stock style 1HD-FT retrofit as well. I have a hard time holding under 1k EGT's as it is, N/A. Hopefully some denser air will help with more complete combustion, here at 3600 plus feet.

@Pasechnik any updates? Its been a while since you posted...

The key is the intercooler. And big exhaust.
My GT2873 is faaaaaaaast, powerful, builds as much boost as you can shake a stick at… and my EGTs are 1000 max pre turbo

This is a new build. 1HZ in an 80.
Updated disco potato. The original model of the Disco Potato was the 2860rs. Now there’s an updated version called a 2863rs. It seems to spool faster and hold boost through the range.
The intercooler is a China special
https://a.co/d/3LJi05O

I’m 99% sure this larger one would fit
https://a.co/d/4FS5MVS

308C3185-EE9B-48BB-9971-620B873C76DF.jpeg

9D0081E0-4C26-4159-BCB4-45F7FE3CDF33.jpeg

11203727-FE4C-4CEC-973E-A393687E1202.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom