And now the fun begins. Titling my HZJ75. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SkiBum506

SILVER Star
Threads
So I got my TROOPY! I bought her and picked her up in Bend Oregon. Then I was informed that material did not show up at the job site and I was not needed until Monday (3/13). Being that it was Saturday (3/4) I had ample time to get home to Colorado. So why not see several friends, all of which used to live in Crested Butte. So off to San Fransisco first to see my college roommate.
IMG_3272.JPG

Then off to Missoula Montana, as this is on the way back to Colorado
IMG_3387.jpg

Got to see two great people that recently moved to Missoula, and another two still in CB were visiting at the same time. It was a little CB reunion and good times. Then down to Sun Vally Idaho for my next stop, this one was actually on the way home.
IMG_3414.jpg

A little sunset on Highway 75 headed into Sun Valley for the night.
IMG_3416.jpg

Then it was the final push home to Crested Butte. I entered Colorado after dark but here is the truck entering Utah.
IMG_3423.jpg

It was one awesome trip home in many ways. The Troopy ran well the whole time and I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and quiet she is.

Now I'm in the process of titling her here in Colorado. This seems like a straightforward process, just a few steps to go through.

Last edited:
Did you get any approving looks or comments? Pity about the crack in the windscreen, it would have been so much cheaper to fix before it left QL.

You can quieten down a troopy even more. I always have a couple of light but thick foam mattresses in the rear, keeps the wagon boom to a minimum.
They can be a good hwy vehicle with a little prep.

Nice truck!

Will it pass inspection with a broken windshield?

@roscoFJ73 I got a few thumbs up and nice truck, I think many people just don't have a clue what they're looking at. I would like to make the interior and quiet and rattle free as possible. That said I was pleasantly surprised with how little noise I experienced on the ride home.

@gkanai I hope so but either way I will be getting the windshield replaced in the next few months.

@ozcrusier thanks!

@D21FJ60 I have changed the oil, checked all fluids (had to top of batteries), and rotated the tires. Thats all I have done to her since so far. As far as titling goes, I am waiting on some paperwork in the mail but everything appears to be moving along fine. Looking forward to doing more but need to get some work in before I can afford anything at this point.

A couple pics for you

@D21FJ60 I have changed the oil, checked all fluids (had to top of batteries), and rotated the tires. Thats all I have done to her since so far. As far as titling goes, I am waiting on some paperwork in the mail but everything appears to be moving along fine. Looking forward to doing more but need to get some work in before I can afford anything at this point.

A couple 70 inside build ideas for your enjoyment

IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG

Hi everyone, haven't been active in awhile. Its been a great, but busy summer. In that time I registered the Troopy and now have a Colorado title in hand! She has been great so far and I have had her around the southwest a bit. I have plenty of things I would like to do to her, but upkeep and maintenance is all the budget allows at the moment.

A few images from this summer.
IMG_0466.jpg

Top of paradise divide outside Crested Butte, Colorado.
IMG_0570.jpg

Imogene pass outside Telluride, Colorado.
IMG_1472.jpg

Hot springs along highway 50 in Nevada.

@LandCruiserPhil that is one sweet Troopy and the buildout is beautiful.

I agree the build out is well thought out with workmanship of the highest quality . Looking at your recent travels you drove right past it:D

The owner made an excellent point on the layout. If you notice the camper seating is across form from each other. This gives the camper a much larger feel and because you sit next to each other all day when driving it give a much better vib and view when sitting across from each other.

Is it legal to drive it back to CO without registration? Do you just need insurance and a temporary tag? I ask because I would love to drive my troopy from LA to Denver in December and bypass $950 dollars of shipping cost.

Thanks!

Is it legal to drive it back to CO without registration? Do you just need insurance and a temporary tag? I ask because I would love to drive my troopy from LA to Denver in December and bypass $950 dollars of shipping cost.

Thanks!

Yes, a temp tag and insurance is all you need.

With Covid, you get extra lenience.

Holy dead thread.

Thanks Willis,

Sorry for my naivety, but do I talk to US customs about the registration or Colorado DMV? My shipper isn't the least bit helpful and neither is the CO DOT website.

Thanks!

Thanks Willis,

Sorry for my naivety, but do I talk to US customs about the registration or Colorado DMV? My shipper isn't the least bit helpful and neither is the CO DOT website.

Thanks!

Colorado DMV should be able to issue you a temp, in person or online maybe if you have a VIN number.

Hell, just make the drive with a Bill of Sale and explain you couldn't get a temp because Covid has closed DMVs. If you get pulled over.

I’ve driven from New Jersey to California on French plates. No temp tags, no title, no worries. Drove it off the port and onto the highway. Lol. Just be sure you have insurance. If you have all the import paperwork you should be able to explain why you don’t have title/registration yet if anyone asks, but you gotta have insurance, no matter what.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom