SOLD Anacortes, WA: 1993 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Anacortes, Washington 98221 United States
Mileage
Color
White
This is an initial post - more detail and pictures will be added as time allows.

I would love to get 10,000 - but I know that's wishful thinking. PM me with offers - I'm reasonable.

Up for sale is my long-term project truck. There were quite a few issues when I got it, but now it's running smoothly and safely. But, it's certainly no beauty pageant winner. I've put a lot of time and sweat into this rig, and I'd really like to sell it to someone who will appreciate it and keep it going rather than trash it.

Selling because of changed circumstances and more important things demanding my time.

Bought at 303,000. Now sits at 315,400ish. Here's what's been done in the last 12,000, listed from most recent to oldest:
- Fresh brake pads
- LR brake caliper replaced & bled
- rear rotors replaced (9/2023)
- Slee upgrade light harness & Aux light harness
- Ironman4x4 bumper and badland winch
- New battery, battery cables, and fusible link (8/2023)
- New accelerator cable
- Wit's End PCV valve kit
- Coolant flush
- fuel injectors & fuel filter replaced (7/2023)
- Shaky & wobbly mirror fixes
- New tires, BFG T/A KO2 (x4, no spare)
- birfields replaced (7/2021)
- reman transmission installed & drive line checked/lubed (2/2020)
- Spark plugs, distributor cap & rotor replaced (12/2019)
- Wit's End Valve cover leak kit (12/2019)
- New denso alternator
- phh & new belts (5/2019)

Regular oil changes, no real modifications other than the bumper & winch. Mostly replacing bits as needed.

Previous owners kept it on the highway, but didn't take great care of it. Thankfully it's completely overbuilt for highway use. I removed an aftermarket security system and 6 CD changer shortly after buying it.

The worst:
- It needs paint - there's hardly any clear coat left.
- There is currently no radio
- A/C is non-functional
- Oil leak at oil pump & crank seal. I have the kit from Wit's End, but I haven't had the time to install it yet.
- It has 300,000+ miles and has almost 30 years of neglect. Stuff breaks as you go in to fix other things.

Plenty of spare parts that I would like to send with the truck, along with a few LC-specific tools.

Old roof rack and old Yakima space box will come with it.

More details and pics to come.

IMG_20230917_170238882_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230917_170214654.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty decent to me. Sounds like the worst thing is the crank seal.

Sorry it's been taking so long to get more information up. Like I said: more important things are demanding my time. Here's some info I've put together for others who have PM'd me for more info:

Urgent needs. Mechanically, the most urgent item is the crank seal. The truck runs well, but that oil leak will only get worse. Other than that, it needs a windshield. It's not broken, but there's so much road rash that you can hardly see a thing when the sun is in front of you. Most everything else is convenience and cosmetic.

Transmission. It is a remanufactured Toyota transmission. It's an very sturdy, long lasting, reliable transmission. I've never driven it anywhere as hot as Moab, but I haven't had any problems with it. But if you're looking into really serious rock crawling, I'd recommend you look for a jeep. The land cruiser is very capable, but other vehicles are much more capable in extreme terrain.

Crank seal. One of my favorite things about the 80 series is that it's truly made to survive and be repaired in the bush. Most repairs short of a transmission overhaul can be done without a lift. The FSM recommends removing the radiator to get to the crank seal, but there's several threads on the tech forum showing how to do it without removing the radiator. Either way, you will need to rent a 3/4" drive torque wrench that can go up to 500ft/lbs. I have digital copies of the factory service manual, electrical wiring diagrams, and other Toyota documents that I can share if you'd like.

Recommendations. I would recommend checking out the rear axle and changing the differential oil. Not that I've had particular problems, it's just those were the next things on my to-do list. There's a slight rhythmic hum when you get up to 70 or 80 mph that I've been trying to chase down. My next guess is the rear wheel bearings. There's no radio right now, and I haven't done anything to troubleshoot the A/C.

I'm going to take a trip this weekend, so I'll keep an eye out for anything else and take some more pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom