Builds An HJ61 followed me home to Texas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brought my powder coating set up home from Tucker's today where it's been residing last few years. It's just an old junk oven and and eastwood gun. I bolted this movers dolly to tge bottom of the oven to make it easier to move around. Not sure why I didn't think to do that years ago.
20200315_184320.jpg

20200315_200155.jpg

Sand blasted these side covers over at my friend Michael's place.

20200315_185837.jpg

20200315_185848.jpg

Gassing out

20200315_195234.jpg

Mainly waiting on pistons now, but did a few little things to the block this weekend. Pulled the cam bearings Thursday and yesterday cleaned all the gasket surfaces at the timing cover, side covers, oil cooler, and head gasket. I still need to degrease it just to get to the paint so it can be stripped before it goes to the machine shop. The hot tank at the machine shop is great at cleaning stuff but doesn't do much for removing paint and I don't want to do any more cleaning or stripping after the machine work. Also need to knock out the oil galley plugs so it can be flushed properly after machining.

These engines are getting old, and even since I rebuilt the last one only three years ago some more parts have become discontinued. The pushrod tubes are discontinued so trying to exhaust all resources to find these.

Screenshot_20200317-172906.png

I was able to get thrust bearings and 6 of the main bearings from toyota USA, the 7th center main bearing shows to be on the way but no eta so fingers crossed.

20200317_171853.jpg

20200317_171602.jpg

The rod bearings I ordered from toyota were wrong so going to have to try to source those from down under. There are 3 different rod bearing styles for the 12ht, and like my last one this one has no oil hole and the tang on the right. Stealing two of these screenshots from my thread just so we have some more reference.

Screenshot_20200317-172720.png

Got the nastiest stripper I could find and it didn't work as good as I'd hoped. It took off most of the paint but I think laying it down on the wet block probably kept it from working as good as it could have. I pressure washed to degrease, stripped, pressure washed, stripped, and washed one last time. I got it back inside in front of the torpedo heater and blew it out with compressed air and finally soaked down with wd40

20200318_173206.jpg
20200318_175333.jpg
20200318_175338.jpg

@roma042987 this is a great thread! You have me a little bit worried about parts getting harder to find.. when it comes time for me to rebuild I might be out of luck.. keep up the awesome work!

@roma042987 this is a great thread! You have me a little bit worried about parts getting harder to find.. when it comes time for me to rebuild I might be out of luck.. keep up the awesome work!

I think it's a sound investment in hoarding a one or two spares for these engines. At some point Toyota will discontinue even more. If something ever happened where you sold your vehicle or it became a total loss you would have no trouble in recouping your money from your spares.

When I bought this HJ61, I went to Partsouq and bought every single 12HT spare that I could find. It’s now helping when it is engine rebuild time. I should go back and buy two more of every part that’s available.

More or less waiting on parts at the moment. I dropped of all the hardware for plating this morning and separated the pistons from the rods. The rod bushings show no wear so other than the one jacked up bolt and stud they're ready to go.

20200320_194442.jpg

I got the cam bearings and injector washers. I’ll drop them in the mail to you tomorrow if I can.

I don’t envy you that task, but the hardware and lines do look amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom