Ambitious Jump Back into Cruiser Life? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m not saying it can’t be good or decent for what it is, or done without doing a load of homework or fabbing up a completely new system, or maybe I am?

What’s the 5” axle width difference? FJ80 axles?

Are your hangers still under the frame or are they offset?

I will add that a custom SUA setup can also go a long ways to improve ride while providing some lift for large tires (~35”). If going 35’s or 37’s from the get-go, I would opt for the modest SOA. But to get the most out of SUA, I highly, highly recommend going the custom spring builder route, and making sure they have the added length to compensate for the arch. Cookie cutter springs of the past have failed in this respect, but cannot include OME in this statement because they seem to make a decent product, although the biggest lift for an FJ 55 that I ever found from them was 3”(?).

Even with all that being said about suspension, overall, still not the best DD. I find mine to be best when it can sit for awhile while I’m doing work to it.

I was able to test drive this one, granted not at highway speeds. It is noticably different than the later model FJ of course, but it was something I thought was immediately fun.

From what I could tell, it looked good on the surface other than that one roof spot, but I'm also clearly not expert on these things. I'm now well aware that the paint was just a cover up for some bigger problems. As for the floors, those all actually looked pristine under the carpet.

As for value, that's why I came here. I have really appreciated all the advice and saving me from pulling the trigger on a rig with more rust than the price justifies, I just didn't know what a $20k rig was supposed to look like. I am still up for the repairs that come with a classic, both in terms of cost and sweat equity. I am a very handy guy, but I'm pretty sure the 55 is not the right start into owning an older vehicle.

71greenpig, I'm in Austin, TX.

My FJ60 with leaf springs is Cush. Easily could make my 55 just like it on ride quality but getting it as quiet and insulated and have an AC as effective would take lots

@pumbaatx , 55’s have many awesome qualities, and many drawbacks, that can be remedied several different ways, all which require either superior mechanical skills, a fat wallet, and sometimes both.
If you are able to have one as a toy to tinker on as your skills and budget allow, that’s when they truly become fun and lovable.

Just keep looking.

@pumbaatx - good call getting advice here. These guys know their stuff in this forum. I rely on it as I am someone with inferior mechanical skills and comfortable admitting it. On the flip side, I've taken on some of my pig projects and it's been fun to learn. The biggest problem I have had is the scarcity of parts for 55s. 60s and 62s seem to be easier on the wallet in that regard.

FJ55s are like an old farmhouse. If you want to keep it in great condition, the projects never end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom