Ambitious Jump Back into Cruiser Life? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a few years ago, I had one of the late-model FJ Cruisers. I really loved that truck, but I was a foolish kid with a new job. I got hit in an intersection and rather than fixing it, I sold it and bought a BMW. As fun as it is to drive, I hate maintaining it while it loses value while I do it. Outside of the gas mileage, I loved everything about the FJ.

Fast forward to today, and I am days away from pulling the trigger on a '71 fj55 that I intend to make my daily driver. I have read up on the commitment I am getting myself into, but I just want some validation that I'm not paying way too much for this one. I'm pretty set on a pig, I just want the right one.

Currently, the cruiser is in New Orleans and I have negotiated a purchase price of $21k. The guy bought it on eBay a few months back for $15.5k and says he has put about $5k of work into it. It has the original 1F motor and 3 speed transmission. He recently replaced the shocks and tires. There are definitely aftermarket wheels and bumpers. As far as I know, everything else is stock and in very good shape, it drove well last week. To my current knowledge this is a list of the things that I will need done soon.

Diagnose and fix the roof line rust (new roof or cut out problem area)
Exhaust smoke is visible (owner is looking into color of the smoke tomorrow morning)
Steering box is kind of loose (play in the wheel)
Rear window motor not working
Missing windshield wipers (working motor)
Door seals

Any clue how much I can expect to pay for these fixes? I expect a mix of DIY and mechanic shop.

Am I paying too much for this particular rig? What would you pay for it?

That hurts to hear, but I appreciate the help. Given that it was all but on a truck on the way to Austin, expect to hear from me again soon.

That does seem like a nice rig minus rust. My only hang up is the idea that you would daily drive this. Is seems like this is an old pig with an interior and a paint job. A 1f and a 3spd is not daily driver material and definitely not for that kind of money. I think you could find a much better deal. 20k could get you an updated rig that is driveable at freeway speeds with the same amount of rust. Are you into a project? Are you doing work yourself? Or are you looking for a turnkey driver? If you are looking for a driver, I think you could do way better for the money.

Ideally, I'd get a turnkey driver. I know that pigs come with a lot of work and I intend to do whatever I can myself.

I hear what you're saying about the 1F and the 3 speed. I was worried about that myself. I guess I am a little lost in terms of how close to stock (engine, drivetrain, etc.) these should be to warrant the prices they seem to command.

That is a lot of money for that cruiser. You should find another one with your budget and you will, just gotta be patient. That roof rust is no easy thing to wrestle! If that is there, there are other problems. Which will make you sad. There are a couple guys like lilJon who can handle stuff like that but the rest of ya mortals get really sad.
That rear bumper is a real bummer.
Cool headlights tho.

nope. 8-10K too much.

roof rust is a biatch....and if the roof is rusting, that paint job is almost guaranteed to be hiding other rust demons.

smoking engine? no good for that price.

Lots of odd choices on that truck. Why such huge bumpers? why take the wipers off? pretty crucial for selling and driveability. Why not fix the rear window? They aren't that complicated. If they can't fix it, then it may signal something more sinister.

I''d never DD a 55 with a stock drivetrain..they are slow, hot, and don't handle well. The center steering arm pivot can be rebuilt and may help the steering slop.

20180324_124306.jpg
20180324_124309.jpg

That's what's underneath :(

Wow! Thanks guys, saved my ass on this one. I guess you can put lipstick on a pig.

Anyone mind helping me out with valuing a cruiser with an engine drivetrain swap? They seem to call for the same amount of money, at least in ads. Is this what I should expect?

Wow! Thanks guys, saved my ass on this one. I guess you can put lipstick on a pig.

Anyone mind helping me out with valuing a cruiser with an engine drivetrain swap? They seem to call for the same amount of money, at least in ads. Is this what I should expect?
All good advice from a bunch of good guys. Good things come to those who wait.

Get an FJ60. It’s a much much better candidate for a daily driver.

For $20,000 you can have a superb 60

If you don’t work on them yourself don’t get a Pig.

Hey My wife bought me a "restored" turn key FJ55 as a surprise. Sadly, of course there is no such thing. Mine looks great in pictures - even the roof close ups (yours have obvious major rust) - And I still have put a ton of work in to it.

Pigs are money pits. They are awesome money pits, but expect to pay a lot and at some point have it sitting in a shop for a long time for dealing with Rust.

I still have to sort out adding Air Conditioning but I haven't found a great solution for cooling down a giant leaky heavy metal box off a 2F engine. I'll add aftermarket AC at some point, but it might just have to wait until I kill this engine and do an engine swap (i'm looking at your Cummins...)

I bet you will need steering tie rods and ends. Maybe you can do that yourself. I also imagine you'll need to rebuild the diffs if they've never been done.

Anyway, it's a great looking pig, but I agree with the others in this forum that it's overpriced. You are going to have to do some serious work on it at some point.

Also - I got my pig as a gift and I love it, but if you have $20k to spend follow @wngrog says and get a sweet FJ60!!

I have a 72 with a 2f and a 3 speed. Trust me when I say you don't want to daily Drive them. It's okay for the occasional trip to town or just a stroll out to drive it to have fun. That alot of dollars for that one. But even if you buy one at a better price point just be prepared to still spend money. The pigs are love over money. You can spend dollars real quick even with you doing the work. I have probaly 3k in parts sitting in a box waiting for the day of paint and body and still buy more stuff.. Lol but man I love my pig...

Small town daily driving is fun but interstate and lots of traffic is not good on orginal power plant. Then also look in the breaking is it still drums all the way around? Leaking wheel cylinders? That poor guy paid little more than he should and where did he spend another 5k at?

Also look for Frame and Body Rust especially in the back behind the rear wheels. I have it there. They painted over it to make it look nice, but one of these weekends I'll be out there grinding it away and coating the frame.

so don't be surprised if you find a bit of this
upload_2018-6-20_16-19-46.png

or worse with that bubbling paint

The interior looks original.
Smoking 1F Not good
Black head liner it's like living in a cave (Chester's headliner is black FWIW)
It's not a $20 pig.....I wouldn't go $10
upload_2018-6-20_16-24-17.png

When "Arnold" came home he had good bones - a smoking 2F (replaced), leaking radiator, crap brakes and a Fairy OD. I would never consider it for use as a DD.

Chester came home in the $5k range...

Save your money. If you are tempted to spend $20G on a rig that needs major work, then what is one worth to you that’s had those issues taken care of?

You might want to get with someone who has one who’d maybe let you drive one before you dive into the realm of Pig ownership, which depending on your constitution, will be either really depressing, or being like a meth addict.
A pig isn’t going to drive or be anything like your later model FJ. Most people who broke their teeth on other makes or models don’t quite end up in love with 55’s.

I don’t want to talk you out of buying it if you love it, but $20k is well above market rate for a 55 with rust and engine problems. Add in the possible engine replacement? What’s a proper price. 8-12k?

Realistically, for this orange one? Still hard to say. Subtract the cost of a new roof for sure. What’s the floor look like under that carpet kit? I’d go over it with a fine-tooth comb, and anything that looks like work is a deduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom