Amateur Radio (HAM), Trail Coms, and Navigation Resources

DesertLake

SILVER Star

Also worth noting, even though I took precautions with the 2m like running power straight to the battery on a heavy twisted pair, and routed the coax away from everything else where possible, I have to turn the stereo off before transmitting. I get a loud buzz when I key up, no matter what volume setting on the crap aftermarket stereo. Doesn't matter what input the stereo is set to either. I never got around to troubleshooting it. You may need to experiment with routing, buy extra wire.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
SILVER Star

Thanks Greg! What about ground plane? The 2M Firestik antennas require one.
Since this is connected to the the body (fender or hood depending) could you not run a separate grounding wire from the bracket to the body? Or wouldn't the bracket act as a grounding source? Still not the best at understanding electrical.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

On my XJ I mounted the 2m antenna right above the dome light. That really was ideal, the one time I needed it I contacted my destination at the Cow Canyon trailhead from the crest above Gabbs. On my 80
both CB and 2m will eventually be on the front bumper, which is less than ideal but also less likely to scrape off. I tried mounting to the roof rack but it's just too tall for the trails around here.

Side note - when I tuned my replacement CB antenna last week, which is in the typical rear quarter location, the best SWR I could get was 2 with the antenna not moving. When I bounced the antenna so it sprung back and forth the SWR needle bounced from about 1.8 to near 3. In other words you don't want your ground plane to be vertical and next to the antenna.
I swap out my quad band antenna on the 100 with a short 2M antenna on the trail. It's basically a NMO rubber duckie, works great at the short range typical of trail runs.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

Since this is connected to the the body (fender or hood depending) could you not run a separate grounding wire from the bracket to the body? Or wouldn't the bracket act as a grounding source? Still not the best at understanding electrical.
A ground plane provides a "reflector" which improves the antenna performance. (Very oversimplified explanation)

Top Bottom