Am I making a mistake? Daily driver thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently own 4 cars. But for the first time only 1 is really a normal rig I'd be willing to daily. My 80 series.
Its not been the most reliable. I think I have it ironed out, but sometimes you just never know.

I've thought of picking up an 84-88 2wd truck as a daily for just back and forth to work and the occasional dump run. I'll keep the 80 for road trips, camping and anything that involves me running the kids around.

I know, i could just pick up a cheap civic or accord and that's the more responsible idea, but I like the mini trucks and have always kind of wanted one.

My commute is 24 miles 1 way and about 75% freeway(60-65mph). I've been doing this commute for a year in my diesel 80 so really anything i buy is going to be cheaper to buy, and with the amount of driving i can re-coup the cost of purchase pretty easy, not to mention im keeping miles off the 80.

I feel the truck should be able to handle this drive and knock down mid 20s while doing it. Its big enough for just me. Im not a big person. 5'11" and 180lbs if i pooped this morning.
That said, I've never driven one. the closest I've come is a first gen 4runner with a 3.0. But it was on tons with 40s. So its not comparable.
Thoughts?

Some matg
My diesel is currently costing me about $.26 per mile in fuel.
18.5 mpg and $4.85 a gallon for diesel

If i can knock down 25 mpg with the cost of 87, the little truck would run $.16 a mile

This would save me about $120 a month in fuel and likely more when counting in tires, and basic maintenance. Lets say $140 for fun.
Basically within 2 years i'd be money ahead on the truck with a budget of 3500-4000.

Last edited:
you'll get sick of a single cab. imo mid 20s is wishful thinking.
i dumped my mini for 3rd gen Runner.

Why would I get sick of a single cab? I own two single cabs currently.

I don't want another 4wd SUV. A 4runner makes no sense.

used 2nd gen Nissan Leaf is screaming your name.

I'll keep driving the land cruiser before i buy that.

I'm not looking for a dd to save fuel. I'm looking for a dd that is something I want to own and drive and to keep miles off my diesel land cruiser.

Saving fuel is just a by product.

As far as mid 20s, I see plenty of guys claiming that on mini truck forums.

I’ve got an 89 4WD mini with a desmogged 22re. I get right at 20mpg. You might be able to get 22-24 with a 2wd. What are your other 3 vehicles?

That being said, my daily driver to work is a 95 Tercel. 40mpg. A lot cheaper to work on, drive, and it’s a blast on dirt roads. It’s nothing to look at, but my .02, I’d pick up something like that.

A 1st Gen Taco is going to be a better truck in every respect for the use case you describe.

I drove a 1980 Toyota pickup daily for awhile. Had the 20R and 4 speed and got around 18 mpg. Chugged along great at 60-65 on the highway all day too. Super reliable, never left me stranded. I’m around 5’ 10”. Single cabs are fine for awhile but lack space imo.

im 5'11". single cab is too small.
Again, I've owned numerous single cabs.
Everything from rangers to classic f100s. I drive very short legged(my 5'9 daughter scoots my seat back)
Leg room isn't a concern.

I daily drove a gen 1 lightning. A gen 2 lightning. A 95 and 99 single cab ranger. I have a gen 2 lightning now and a 66 f100 that are both single cabs.

I drove a 1980 Toyota pickup daily for awhile. Had the 20R and 4 speed and got around 18 mpg. Chugged along great at 60-65 on the highway all day too. Super reliable, never left me stranded. I’m around 5’ 10”. Single cabs are fine for awhile but lack space imo.

I don't really need space. I don't take anything but a back pack to work and i have the land cruiser if I need room.

My concerns are realistic mileage.
How they drive in the highway
I'm not concerned with reliability because it's a 22r/e I know they're reliable.

But I don't like first gen Tacomas.

LOL. Ok.

What's the point of this thread, again?

Comedic content first thing in the AM, I suppose.

LOL. Ok.

LOL. Ok.

Here from like 2 posts up...

My concerns are realistic mileage.
How they drive in the highway
I'm not concerned with reliability because it's a 22r/e I know they're reliable.

Look, I'm old enough, single and have had enough cars that at this point I drive things I want to own. Not always because they're what people think are best for the situation or even what is the most responsible option. I currently daily a ****ing 30 yr old diesel from Japan.

I like the 84-88 Toyota. They're about the only Toyota truck I do like.

So the thought of picking one up as a dd is being entertained. So long as they'll handle my commute and net me the mileage I wanted.

I thought it was pretty clear. Nowhere did I ask for suggestions on a daily.

Gnob says mid 20s are unrealistic, but I've seen otherwise so I asked for real world numbers.

Obviously, a 35+ year old minitruck is the perfect DD.

1661864383411.png

I'm used to reading and ignoring this type of thread in the 60/62 section. I was the moth drawn to flame. I will try to learn from my error.

Obviously, a 35+ year old minitruck is the perfect DD.

View attachment 3101097

I'm used to reading and ignoring this type of thread in the 60/62 section. I was the moth drawn to flame. I will try to learn from my error.

I didn't say I wanted a perfect dd. If I did I'd buy a civic or an accord and be done with it.

I like my land cruiser. I just wanna keep the miles off. I like simple and old.

I'm 6'3" and dailied a stock 4wd '85 22R 5spd in the winters for a couple years in my mid twenties. It was a bit cramped, but it worked. It ran the interstate fine, but it was definitely putting in work to do so. Exhaust was quiet, but the engine was loud enough at highway speed that the poor little radio was drowned out.

They're so small and old that they make little sense for me now... So I got another one. It makes my 5th vehicle. It's a blast and I love the little thing.

Go get one. Enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom