alternator wiring gremlin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my alternator and voltage regulator and it still won't charge my battery. It will die if I unhook the positive lead from the battery. I'm not sure what is going on. Do any of you have a wiring diagram for the alternator and voltage regulator for a 1969 40 series.

Everything is wired properly but the alternator still isn't charging at all. I must have something strange going on

Sounds stupid, but start with checking the fuse. Even when the fuse looks good..... check with ohm meter for continuity.

Rudi

Yep, bad fuse block contacts would cause this.
Also check that the regulator and alternator are well grounded
See it you have +12V on the White/Red wire at the regulator, if not check fuse block for corrosion.
Do you have the correct alternator and did the wire harness for the alternator plug right in or are you using push on connectors? If you reverse the White/Green and White/Black wires at the alternator, the alternator will not put out anything. That might also fry the regulator...

Fixed. Got the volt ohm meter on it today. The brand new voltage regulator from spector wasn't working. I had 11 volts at the ig terminal and nothing on the f terminal. Put the old regulator back in and it works like a charm. So either the new regulator is defective or it needs adjustment. Is it common to have to adjust a new one?

Yep, bad fuse block contacts would cause this.
Also check that the regulator and alternator are well grounded
See it you have +12V on the White/Red wire at the regulator, if not check fuse block for corrosion.
Do you have the correct alternator and did the wire harness for the alternator plug right in or are you using push on connectors? If you reverse the White/Green and White/Black wires at the alternator, the alternator will not put out anything. That might also fry the regulator...
Coolerman I do need a new plug for the alternator. It's a 69. Do you have any in stock

I guess I will ship that defective alternator back to SOR with my alternator core. That's what I get for trying to be pro active and replace an old voltage regulator that still worked

new voltage regs(3-4 styles) can be had from Toyota, about $25-30, AFAIK they are available for all years, at least 64-87

Fixed. Got the volt ohm meter on it today. The brand new voltage regulator from spector wasn't working. I had 11 volts at the ig terminal and nothing on the f terminal. Put the old regulator back in and it works like a charm. So either the new regulator is defective or it needs adjustment. Is it common to have to adjust a new one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom