Alternator Upgrade Help Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

battery would die within about an hour or so of driving
On most modern cars they use electric engine cooling fans so if you add A/C you need to add an additional fan or fans on the condenser to keep your pressures in check. This extra amp load wouldn’t apply to you guys just adding an A/C compressor to your existing combo on a Pig.

I would guess if you see a volt/amp drop when the A/C is running then you didn’t add an idle up solenoid to the carburetor and the alternator is dropping out at the lower idle speeds. If you are running a single wire alternator and idle for long periods or driving at slower speeds with lower engine RPM’s then yes you’ll drain the battery until the alternator is re-energized.

Good luck guys!

Are you sure about that?

We all have our own opinions.
I wouldn't say anybody that doesn't agree with me is wrong but I would say you should look into it and decide what's best for you..
I'll start with wire sizing, if you have a source that is capable of producing 60 amps I believe 10 gauge wire has the potential to fail catastrophically.
Bluesea has a handy little chart that says 6 gauge would be better suited for that job.
You should look into it and decide what's best for you!

Bigger conductor/less resistance always seems to be a good idea when feasible.

Also, replacing old, crusty wiring w/ new can reduce resistance if you have broken conductors in the multi-strand wiring and oxidation at the connectors...

I think it would be hard to wrong replacing old 10 w/ new 6.

Bigger conductor/less resistance always seems to be a good idea when feasible.

Also, replacing old, crusty wiring w/ new can reduce resistance if you have broken conductors in the multi-strand wiring and oxidation at the connectors...

I think it would be hard to wrong replacing old 10 w/ new 6.
Yeah, was thinking that same thing on a new 6 gauge, regardless. Also thinking I might do all the 4 gauge ground wires to the frame and block etc..too. can't hurt. They're damn near 50 years old at this point!

Thought I'd close this one out with a final update. I finished getting a GM 12si in this weekend. Put a 65amp unit from Napa in. I think it was like $75. Because I have a Saginaw PS conversion bracket that made use of the low driver side alternator location, it was easiest to stick with this. Also no plans for water crossings so I'm fine with this placement. I tracked down another mounting bracket off of ebay and did something pretty similar to this. Forgot to take pics before my install. Ran a new 6 gauge to the battery and pulled a keyed power trigger wire off the fuse panel. Works great. This thread was one of the helpful ones I used:

1649687607740.png

Thought I'd close this one out with a final update. I finished getting a GM 12si in this weekend. Put a 65amp unit from Napa in. I think it was like $75. Because I have a Saginaw PS conversion bracket that made use of the low driver side alternator location, it was easiest to stick with this. Also no plans for water crossings so I'm fine with this placement. I tracked down another mounting bracket off of ebay and did something pretty similar to this. Forgot to take pics before my install. Ran a new 6 gauge to the battery and pulled a keyed power trigger wire off the fuse panel. Works great. This thread was one of the helpful ones I used:

View attachment 2977838

your #1 focus point i think :

you updated the non -oem unit with the OEM Cogged belt 17mm wide oem land crusier drive belt pulley

excellent show and tech too !

matt :)

1649694893424.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom