Alternator Change in a 1988 FJ62 - Requesting Tips, Suggestions, How-to Videos, etc! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! My alternator died on me recently. My replacement one is coming in soon and I'll be working on it this weekend. If anyone has any suggestions, tips, or an idea of the general difficulty of this task I'd greatly appreciate any help. I'm brand new to wrenching on cars in general, let alone Land Cruisers. I'll have help from some more car savvy buddies of mine, but they're still unfamiliar with these old trucks.

Thanks!

Its a bit buried in there. I would deff recommend removing the smog pump above it, cant imagine trying to wrestle it out of there without doing so. One tip I found helpful is that you can loosen the power steering reservoir to gain some clack/adjust some out once the alternator is in. Great opportunity to replace all three belts!

What alternator did you go with? Most aftermarket ones seem to last only a year or so. I did the 90a upgrade in order to retain a Denso alternator.

Heres a good link:
Changing Drive Belts on a 3FE Powered Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser - Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures

You pretty much have to take the smog pump and bracket off to get at the alternator. Check the condition of the belts while you're there and replace if they look marginal. Also, remove the electrical connections on alternator carefully and inspect their integrity.

Did you spend the money on a Mean Green? So worth it. I got so sick of rebuilds going bad. I must have put 4 in my truck in the last ten years. I'm like a NASCAR mechanic now with these things. This sounds much easier to do in 60. Sorry I have no tips for install.

as stated, systemically remove the surrounding components, take time, cut the shroud in 2 and fab some brackets to it so it can be bolted back together. new belts, and you might also have a good hard look at the hoses and water pump...sometimes it is easier to unbolt the air bypass valve from the fender and remove the smog pump, hoses and valve assy as a unit. those hoses like to break when trying to pull them off their stubs...

Very good advice from @LAMBCRUSHER . I didn't disconnect the smog hoses either but instead got everything loose and unbolted, then just reflected the smog pump back to access the alternator. It's a pain for sure. The belt routing design in the 3FE is maddening.

the last thing adjusted should be the ps pump...

I was able to do it without removing the smog pump (couldn't get the hoses off without ruining them) but did have to unbolt it to wiggle the alternator out. It was a major PITA so take it off if you can.

I had to loosen the belts (PS pump, alternator, and smog pump provide tension) and still had to pop them off. Plus side is you'll know how to replace them.

The fan shroud also made loosening the bolts a PITA so I'd recommend removing it and modifying it into two pieces (search for examples). If you have very long socket extensions it may not be an issue though.

Take the opportunity to clean the corrosion off the connections with sand paper or a file.

I'm a minor mechanic and have had to replace the alternator three times now due to refurbed pieces of sh**.

It would help to remove the fan shroud but you don't have to. You can get the belts out by keeping them in the same position WITHIN the shroud and spinning the fan. Then they just pull out of the shroud.

Also it is a big help to remove the smog, makes maneuvering the alt super easy and its only a couple bolts.

Lastly multiple length ratchet extensions and a swivel head ratchet make it WAY easier. Just like joebattle1 I can get mine out and on in a about half hour now...not so much bragging as I am ashamed of how many times ive had to do it. :rolleyes:

I'm taking my 3fe FJ62 in today for an alternator change. My understanding is that the stock Denso alternator is no longer available. I get rebuilt alternators and they tend to last about a year. It's a real weakness on the truck.

I have read mixed reviews about the Mean Green. Some say it's not worth the money.

I'm in conversation with my mechanic about going with a Sequoia alternator. It put out more power and you can actually buy a NEW one. A bracket will have to be fabbed....not sure at this point if we can make it work. Anything must be better than a refurbed original Denso.

These posts just raised my spider sense about my new alternator...I might look at getting the brushes and guts for the old one I kept...

So, on the off chance that I f-up one of the hoses whilst removing the smog pump, where can I find replacements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom