Alternator Brush part issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey yall,
93 HDJ81- found my alternator output low. Brushes are extremely worn, ordered part (looked up part # on jp-carparts to make sure had correct part # for my import) from local toyota dealer and it's a bit different. My old brushes didn't have the plastic housing around the brushes and will not fit because of metal around rotor. Anyone know what brush part # for my alternator. Part#'s ect in pics

64568.jpeg

20230828_165226.jpg

20230822_182150.jpg

20230828_165110.jpg

20230828_165055.jpg

@Beach80 : it's hard to see from the one photo but the slip rings on the rotor (where the brushes ride) appear to be worn (can you post up a better view?)?

Something to keep in mind, the slip rings can be replaced (but the alternator has to come apart), that would be done during a complete rebuild. FWIW

Example of worn slip rings (there should be no grooves, note also
how one brush has worn through one of the copper rings):

Worn slip ring example.jpg

Last edited:
Are the photos above of your alternator, or is it still in the vehicle?

Can you post up photos of your engine bay looking at the rear of the alternator
and if you have the brushes off can you include a photo of the slip rings?

Generally you have to remove the rear cover, a few small screws/bolts,
then a couple of screws that hold the brush holder in, pull the old part out, push the new part in, etc,etc.

But you will want to clean and inspect that area (using Electronics cleaner not brake/carb cleaner). It helps IME to use a strip of superfine sandpaper, 800-1000 grit to lightly go around the copper slip rings to remove any build-up of crud before you put the new brushes in place.

Can the brushes be replaced without removing the alternator?
Not easily, but perhaps?
Best to pull the alt to do it. This will give you a better view of the overall condition of the alt.
When I replaced my brushes the dizzy o-ring was also leaking, leaving a grimey coat of oil that I then washed off in the sink.
Best to remove the alt to do all this imo.
You can also test the regulator for proper operation at the same time.

Are the photos above of your alternator, or is it still in the vehicle?

Can you post up photos of your engine bay looking at the rear of the alternator
and if you have the brushes off can you include a photo of the slip rings?

Generally you have to remove the rear cover, a few small screws/bolts,
then a couple of screws that hold the brush holder in, pull the old part out, push the new part in, etc,etc.

But you will want to clean and inspect that area (using Electronics cleaner not brake/carb cleaner). It helps IME to use a strip of superfine sandpaper, 800-1000 grit to lightly go around the copper slip rings to remove any build-up of crud before you put the new brushes in place.
Indeed, the slip rings are pressed on. To replace the slip rings (if available), the same will be required.

Indeed, the slip rings are pressed on. To replace the slip rings (if available), the same will be required.
In my case slip rings were not available and I called a local alternator place to see if they could rebuild, that was a No. As for access, I definitely recommend pulling alternator.

There are more sources of alternator parts out there (try a search), IME most small local alternator shops don't completely remanufactuer alternators.

How did you fix it and did you get any photos of the slip rings of the alternator?

@Beach80 : Is this a subsitution that is known to work in your diesel,
the schematics appear identical, same amp output?

Can you post up photos showing the alternator installed?

Original HDJ81 alternator schematic (27060-17160):

HDJ81 Alternator.JPG

FZ80 Alternator schematic (27060-66070):

FZJ80 1FZFE alternator.JPG

Last edited:
@Beach80 : Is this a subsitution that is known to work in your diesel,
the schematics appear identical, same amp output?

Can you post up photos showing the alternator installed?

Original HDJ81 alternator schematic (27060-17160):

View attachment 3424850

FZ80 Alternator schematic (27060-66070):

View attachment 3424851
I was told by another member it would work on my 93 HDJ81. I installed it, works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom