air lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reffug said:
Just my 02 but I feel you will regret an auto locker in an 80 period.

So you've had one and then removed it because you hated it?
I know 3 people with the Aussie (me included). And after other 80 owners ride with me on and off road they think it wa the best $250 I could have ever put in my unlocked 80. One even noted on a Hiway ride once as to why I had the sticker but no locker! That is proof in the pudding... he didn't even hear it or know it was there on the pavement and he drives an 80.

I first tested a friends 80 with an Aussie at GSMTR in Tellico this past year. I then put mine in 1 month later I was so impressed. I've been to Tellico 3 times since then, and the same trails that I used to have to "umph" up are getting to be boring with the Aussie.

I do not like all other auto-lockers I've ridden on. They are too loud and sometimes bind up. They all look the same but are not the same. I would not have purchased the Aussie but had the honor of driving an 80 with one installed. I suggest doing that, if you are near me, I'll let you trail ride mine sometime

On-road or off-road, the Aussie is seriously serious.

Last edited:
land speeder
I have read there can be issues on driving an auto locker on the highway. What is this binding you are referring to? Someone else mentioned that on ice or water an auto locer can be scary on paved roads. Is this valid? And why?
Anyone's input would be appreciated.
thanks
terry

ronin-0707 said:
land speeder
I have read there can be issues on driving an auto locker on the highway. What is this binding you are referring to? Someone else mentioned that on ice or water an auto locer can be scary on paved roads. Is this valid? And why?
Anyone's input would be appreciated.
thanks
terry

No issues on driving on the hi-way, in fact it shines on the hiway since you are going straight as an arrow. You must make sure your tire pressure is even but since we are talking full time four wheel drive it should be anyway. If you live in snow and ice prone areas then it could a problem because the locker will not "un-lock" when turning on a slick surface since there is no opposing force there. This would/could swing your rear-end around you and cause hydroplaning. I live in South Alabama where that is not an issue however.
The binding I am refering to is on some branded autolockers, when turning a corner they do not disengage until a huge force is put on them binding them up until POW! they unlock. Mine has never done that nor has any other Aussie I've heard. But rather when you DO hear the Aussie, if ever, it sounds like the wheel of fortune wheel, only quieter.

I'm assuming Jaxcruiser is from Jacksonville, FL. I figured an Aussie locker will be fine for his limited trail use and there's no ice in part of the country!

Auto lockers such as Aussie and Detroits are great for long wheelbased vehicles. This is why Land Speeder isn't noticing anything detrimental on the hwy and local streets. I know many people run them in SWB vehicles but they can get squirly on the road coming out of a turn and giving lots of throttle.

Also, Jax noted the lack of lots of funds (seems to be a commonality amongst us!) and an Aussie is a good bang for the buck, IMO.

My .02 cents worth :D

Ali

Followed Eric in the rain at Telico, didn't look like he had any problems with traction...other wagons in group (62) were a slipping and a sliding in sections.

Land Speeder said:
... the only time I wish I could unlock it is when I'm on someone's lawn and hope that I do not tear up their grass! :flamingo:

and...
Auburn, Alabama

Does anyone else see the humour in this? :D

j/k LS, it's all in fun.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Does anyone else see the humour in this? :D

j/k LS, it's all in fun.

-B-

I'm the first person to laugh at myself (it's just too easy, look at my sig-line & Avatar) but I don't get it.
Oh, I get it, Southerners are the only ones with grass in their yards... ROTFLMFAO :rolleyes:

Land Speeder said:
Oh, I get it, Southerners are the only ones with grass in their yards... ROTFLMFAO

Ummmm, not so fast there Bubba.

Southerners are the only ones that wouldn't find it a little crass that someone is parking their truck on the grass in a friend's front yard.

-B-

(Born and raised in East Texas. Spent ~10 years in north Louisiana, so don't get all huffy about the comment on bizzare Southern behaviours.)

Beowulf said:
Ummmm, not so fast there Bubba.

Southerners are the only ones that wouldn't find it a little crass that someone is parking their truck on the grass in a friend's front yard.

-B-

(Born and raised in East Texas. Spent ~10 years in north Louisiana, so don't get all huffy about the comment on bizzare Southern behaviours.)

I'm southern, not country, so "Bubba" does not apply. You were the one trying to make fun of me, so don't get offensive slinging the term "Bubba" around when I become sarcastic to what you started. And anyway that's all it is sarcasm, tongue and cheek. Hell, I figure you throw a comment out at/about me so why can't I volley it back. I now know, when Beowulf makes fun of me, I better not make any comment about it.
My appologies for not getting your joke. I guess since I've parked on the grass in many areas of the country that I'ved lived and not just in GREENBO ALABAMA then I missed what you were joking about. Sorry you got offended by my response.

Land Speeder said:
I'm southern, not country, so "Bubba" does not apply. You were the one trying to make fun of me, so don't get offensive slinging the term "Bubba" around when I become sarcastic to what you started. And anyway that's all it is sarcasm, tongue and cheek. Hell, I figure you throw a comment out at/about me so why can't I volley it back. I now know, when Beowulf makes fun of me, I better not make any comment about it.
My appologies for not getting your joke. I guess since I've parked on the grass in many areas of the country that I'ved lived and not just in GREENBO ALABAMA then I missed what you were joking about. Sorry you got offended by my response.
Ummmm... I think Beo was using some of that same, sarcasm, toungue in cheek, humor, ie. joking, that you are talking about. I doubt he was offended :???:, hopefully you weren't either.
Have a :beer: and relax :)

thanx i am buying the aussie locker on fri

jaxcruiser said:
thanx i am buying the aussie locker on fri

What year is your 80? I hear the full-float rears don't do well with Aussies, but that's hear-say, so make sure you cover your bases with that.
Otherwise you'll enjoy the Aussie and it is easy to install on a semi-float since all it takes is removing the inspection plate. Enjoy!

So let me guess, semi floaters don't have 3rds? Just remove the back cover and do all work from there?

Land Speeder said:
I now know, when Beowulf makes fun of me, I better not make any comment about it.

As Ben astutely noted, it is sarcasm and self-deprecating humour. As in "White Trash of Elmwood".... Or like it's OK for one coon-a$$ to tell a Beauxregard joke to another coon-a$$, but it's not OK for a yankee to tell the same joke. (Optional: substitute red-neck and Bubba.)

Hang around Eric, you'll catch on after a while. :D

-B-

(And has anyone else noted that hypersensitivity and the name "Eric" seem to go hand-in-hand?)

alia176 said:
So let me guess, semi floaters don't have 3rds? Just remove the back cover and do all work from there?

Nope, semifloats have removable thirds too... Not sure where you got this from...

alia176 said:

I'm not the one to answer this I don't guess since I thought I did have 3rds. Maybe I just don't know what a 3rd is. I do have the removable cover on the back as all rear semi-float 80's do (all 91-92 and some 93-94's).
Don't ask me why the full float doesn't like auto-lockers, that's just what I hear around the camp fire...

alia176 said:
semi floaters

Had one of those this morning, probably due to the fiber tablets

I take a stab at some of this,

a 3rd member is a cast assembly that houses the ring & pinion, differential carrier and differential, unlike most American axles where this housing is one and the same as the axle housing a 3rd member can be removed from the axle housing and worked on a bench instead of on you back under the truck.

As far as I know all 40 through 80 series Cruisers and Toyota trucks with solid axles have third members front and rear weather they be SF or FF.

the reason SF axles have a cover opposite the 3rd member is you have to remove this cover to pull the axles out, the axles on the SF are retained by clips in the differential, the differential had to be partially dissembled to get theses clips out to remove the axle shafts, hence the need for a removable cover to get access.

On a FF (front of all 40 through 80 series cruisers and rear of later 80 series) there is not removable cover as the axles are retained by clips at the hub or bolted directly to the hub. The axle shaft can be removed without getting near the 3rd member.

I have no idea how the SF/FF differences would effect auto lockers.

Land Speeder said:
It was CHEAP and does everything all the other lockers do.

Not exactly. They do not unlock :D Also, they do not strengthen the carrier. That said, John Hocker wheeled the crap out of their 91 with a lockrite for years without problems. I would tend to agree that $250 is about what would spend on a locker option for a 91/92 truck (only in the rear)

However if you go to the full floater axle I would not do a auto locker. I know of a couple of people that brake the rear dowels and studs on the hub due to the autlocker in there. For some reason they cause the hub nuts to loosen and if you do not check it regularly, you have a good chance breaking them when you least expect it.

The ratheting and banging they cause is a lot less (or more masked) in a automatic long wheel base vehicle.

On a short wheel base vehicle it made it virtually impossible to drive in the snow. Ask me I had a Jeep with Lockrites front and rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom