Air Lift 1000 Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agreed on the T connection to ensure even inflation pressure both sides. If there is a blowout or a leak you actually want both sides deflated. Towing with one side only inflated could get very sketchy very quickly.

Great point, one I didn't think of but I think this is how I will do mine now. I have been debating about this. Thanks for the insight.

DO NOT T THE AIR LINES!!!!

Under load, the air will push out of the bag needed psi and into the other bag. This will introduce a lot of sway going around corners with a load.

I don't think that's true. The pressure of the whole thing is the same. Wouldn't it work like a sway bar, where compressing one bag would drive air into the other bag, keeping the truck level? Also the manufacturer recommends T-ing the lines unless you have a permanent uneven load.

My PS line keeps popping off the airbag, but I'm glad they're T-ed. Otherwise the DS would stay higher than the PS, throwing everything off.

It will work the opposite as a sway bar.... It may have the same psi but one bag will compress while the other extends. Trust me, you don't want those t-ed if you are hauling any serious weight. As for your PS line, either give it more slack or drill a bigger hole for the air line.

I don't think that's true. The pressure of the whole thing is the same. Wouldn't it work like a sway bar, where compressing one bag would drive air into the other bag, keeping the truck level? Also the manufacturer recommends T-ing the lines unless you have a permanent uneven load.

My PS line keeps popping off the airbag, but I'm glad they're T-ed. Otherwise the DS would stay higher than the PS, throwing everything off.

I'm not t'ed and I had one of my lines pop off. Surprisingly it held the load evenly bc swaybar was distributing the load. I t'ed my last install on my fjc and I didn't like the sway it caused on the road, but it did help with articulation on the trails. I wish I had a valve so that I could open and close it for different scenarios.

Btw my lines don't come off anymore since I opened the hole larger with a grinder

DO NOT T THE AIR LINES!!!!

Under load, the air will push out of the bag needed psi and into the other bag. This will introduce a lot of sway going around corners with a load.

Agree. I installed mine with separate hoses. Takes an extra 45 secs to inflate/deflate. Big deal. Much better handling.

...Btw my lines don't come off anymore since I opened the hole larger with a grinder
^ this. Make the holes big. The springs really stretch out on extension, and depending on where the bag gets "stuck" (usually at the top of the spring on mine), you can end up sucking 6-8" or air line up through the hole. Funny though, mine was worse on the DS due to the odd angle the line has to take up through the spring perch. On the PS, there is a nice straight feed, whereas on the DS it has to make a bend before going up into the spring area.

Wait, just to double check, you are running the air lines out the bottom, right?

edit:-> just re-looked at your picture. I'd say you need a bit more slack in your air line, based on looking at the DS pic. Deflate them, then jack up the truck and let the axle down. See if you can push the bag all the way to the top of the spring with the slack you have.

edit:-> just re-looked at your picture. I'd say you need a bit more slack in your air line, based on looking at the DS pic. Deflate them, then jack up the truck and let the axle down. See if you can push the bag all the way to the top of the spring with the slack you have.

Good idea. I'll have to buy some new air hose. I have the hoses entering the spring perch from the rear of the axle. So the angle is a bit weird on both of them.

Someone had the idea of leaving part of the spring retainer so the bag can't move around as much. There maybe something to that as well.

Is there any danger of losing or unseating the coil from removing the rubber bumpstop/spring retainer thing?

The line kit is cheap. http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...tml?feed=npn&gclid=CP-Y0-6tjLcCFa9cQgodlUQAFg

Punch that hole up to 1" and give a generous amount of slack. :cheers:

[STRIKE]Or even cheaper if you just need the line.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Firestone/F9151.html[/STRIKE]

With shipping it's more. This is your cheapest bet. I wish I could find stronger 1/4" lines though.

http://www.amazon.com/AIR-LIFT-2200...eywords=Replacement+Air+Line+Kit+for+Air+Lift

Doing this in the next week or so. Can the sway bar bolts be reused? Do I need to buy new ones like on a an 80?

Not actually sure which sway bar? I guess the rear since you have to disconnect it in order to lower the axle to pull the springs. I know on the 80 series they say the bolt is not reusable.

I don't know if it was mentioned previously, but on an 80 at least you don't need to unbolt or remove anything to install the air bags. You just shove them through the spring coil gap and use a right angle die grinder bit to open up the bottom hole.

Maybe a 10 minute job per side.

Following all the tips and advice here, I installed Air Lift bags (pn 60744 as recommended by jonharis) in my Slee heavies. Tent, fridge, bumper, 4 people, a dog, and a ton of camping stuff had the rear sagging too much for my tastes. Sag no more!

tankspace1.jpg

I decided on the separate air lines and mounted both valves in existing holes in the rearmost cross member. Not the easiest place to reach, but these are up and out of the way and most likely won't be accessed often.

airbags2.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Made installation easy.

Looks great! ^^ Did you remove the springs or were you able to squeeze them between the coils?

Looks great! ^^ Did you remove the springs or were you able to squeeze them between the coils?

Thanks. I removed the springs. It is easy enough to do and I wanted room to drill out the bottom mount for the air lines. Also, the Slee springs seem to have more coils than others which would make it tough to squeeze the bags through. When removed, the bags just dropped right in the top of the springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom