Air Conditioning supplier for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I used to use Cool Cruiser A/C kits when doing a restoration for the near stock look. They are now unavailable and their supplier is out of business.

I know about Vintage Air and do know their units are more efficient. However, I do not like the look and the loss of the original heater. However, it seems they are the only choice. I have heard mixed reviews about Nostalgic Air.

Anyone have a different supplier or is Vintage Air the only option? If so where is the best place to buy the kit?

Thanks.

I used to use Cool Cruiser A/C kits when doing a restoration for the near stock look. They are now unavailable and their supplier is out of business.

I know about Vintage Air and do know their units are more efficient. However, I do not like the look and the loss of the original heater. However, it seems they are the only choice. I have heard mixed reviews about Nostalgic Air.

Anyone have a different supplier or is Vintage Air the only option? If so where is the best place to buy the kit?

Thanks.

If you liked the look of CCOT's AC unit, then the Old Air Product IP-200 unit would be very similar.

If you liked the look of CCOT's AC unit, then the Old Air Product IP-200 unit would be very similar.

X2 on the Old Air Product underdash units. They look very similar to the original Nippondenso units. I installed the CAP-200B model which has the black face. I also opted to have the factory delete the front panel controls and instead installed them remotely in the dash for a cleaner look and easier access to the controls from the driver's seat. Cools well even in Florida heat.

Use the a/c compressor bracket from Vintage Air. It relocates the alternator below the A/C compressor for a very clean and stable install:
Bracket Kit (158217)
Kit includes Part Numbers:
158216 Bracket Assembly, Compressor/OEM Alternator
158212 Bracket, Compressor Adjustment
191131 Hardware Kit

If you have any questions let me know.

Last edited:
X2 on the Old Air Product underdash units. They look very similar to the original Nippondenso units. I installed the CAP-200B model which has the black face. I also opted to have the factory delete the front panel controls and instead installed them remotely in the dash for a cleaner look and easier access to the controls from the driver's seat. Cools well even in Florida heat.

Use the a/c compressor bracket from Vintage Air. It relocates the alternator below the A/C compressor for a very clean and stable install:
Bracket Kit (158217)
191131 Hardware Kit

Do you have pictures?

Last page of my build up thread has complete install pics start to finish with part numbers - Click for Pics: 1976 FJ40 Build Up/Resto Thread

It does not look like you have tube from the firewall blower to the stock heater? Is that correct? I assume it won't fit with that AC unit?

Bracket Kit (158217)
191131 Hardware Kit

Nice kit!

The Vintage Air #15465-VTB bracket/kit is what I used at the time. However, I sourced the longer M10 AC & ALT connecting bolts from McMaster-Carr.
IMG_2050.JPG

ACC - Engine before installation.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

I went from the below, CCOT's AC & ALT multi brackets that didn't align the pulleys very well. It looked as though it was cobbled together.
IMG_1590.JPG

To this, Vintage Air's AC & ALT single bracket that does align the pulleys well. Looks more professionally done.
IMG_1339.jpg

So if I am following this correctly....the Vintage Air AC & ALT single bracket is used to mount the AC compressor and the ALT and will mount onto an F2? Rick can you attach a photo of your PS mounting location. Is it in the factory tapped holes?

Bracket Kit (158217)
191131 Hardware Kit

Could you attach a photo of your ALT/AC Compressor alignment

It does not look like you have tube from the firewall blower to the stock heater? Is that correct? I assume it won't fit with that AC unit?

Correct, the OE plastic blower to heather 'tube' will not fit once the evaporator is installed. Instead the kit from OAP supplied two plates that mount on the heater core and the blower outlet that have an oblong 'O' shape to which a section flex hose would attach. I have not attached it. Another option would be to use the 'tube' supplied with factory Nippondenso A/C equipped FJ40's although those are difficult to come by.

So if I am following this correctly....the Vintage Air AC & ALT single bracket is used to mount the AC compressor and the ALT and will mount onto an F2? Rick can you attach a photo of your PS mounting location. Is it in the factory tapped holes?

I have the mini truck PS unit that sits on an after market bracket where the OEM steering box sat.
img_3337-jpg.1167997

The PS pump is installed on the bottom of the engine.
img_2356-jpg.1087612

Chris in my build thread you can see the installation of the Old Air Products unit I am using in the 45. I also had a custom setup for the heater duct made. The shop that made those plates retained the pattern for future use.

I'm wondering what it's going to take to get one of these systems into a Colombian FJ43. I'm not sure the prefab brackets will work. Has anyone seen the Vintage Air unit in a truck from South America?

I'm wondering what it's going to take to get one of these systems into a Colombian FJ43. I'm not sure the prefab brackets will work. Has anyone seen the Vintage Air unit in a truck from South America?

Not yet. I’m down here now for work and I’ve seen quite a bit of resto shops that do a number of different things. Ive seen none with any type of A/C unit in it. Whether it is OEM from a later model or aftermarket such as this.

So i will be trying this version out. Ill have to get some instructions on how to go about doing it as this is way beyond my own personal experience. I can do quite a bit but this is beyond my abilities. But sourcing the parts is way cheaper and has the potential to look much nice than the Vintage set up.

Thanks.
Had a Vintage heater/ac unit installed in my 71 FJ40. Not satisficed 8 months later. More problems with installer rerouting my 4WD cable/levers.

Bumping this with a couple questions. I like the to keep the stock heater and do one of the under dash units, something like the IP-200 or cab-200 mentioned above. When installing one of those, what happens to the blower air duct that normally sits under the glove box? Does it get integrated somehow?

Thanks.

Bumping this with a couple questions. I like the to keep the stock heater and do one of the under dash units, something like the IP-200 or cab-200 mentioned above. When installing one of those, what happens to the blower air duct that normally sits under the glove box? Does it get integrated somehow?

Thanks.

On the OEM unit that hangs under the dash a special duct was used that angles down and back instead of straight down. That is a long NLA parts. Would be plenty of buyers if someone reproduced it. Located a OEM evaporator but need a duct to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom