Aftermarket Battery Terminal Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClassyJalopy

Congenitally insane nor irretrievably stupid...
SILVER Star
Threads
I am not a fan of OEM battery terminals since they don't provide any additional cable mounting options. A lot of aftermarket terminals that do have provisions to mount extra cables, but don't really work with our trucks because the fusible link assembly needs a vertical post to mount to.
This thread is to discuss the available aftermarket options and folks experience with them. I am listing the ones I know off in no particular order:

1. Slee Billet Aluminum version:
@sleeoffroad makes these beautifully crafted pieces that are perhaps the best option out there. Just a little rich for my taste but you get what you pay for:

1622221982866.png

2. Slee Military Terminal Extensions:
@sleeoffroad seems to have ceased production of these. I installed a set on my prev. truck and they are very functional - I would love to buy another set

1622222098372.png

3. Marine Battery Terminal:
Universally available, work with our fusible link assembly. Do not provide any additional cable mounting holes
Amazon product ASIN B091FVL3F1
1622222223131.png

4. 12 way connectors:
Talk about overkill! These seems to tick all the boxes and are reasonably priced. I am a little unsure of their quality
Amazon product ASIN B08CGCWY72
1622222430929.png

5. "Make your adapter and stop whining" option:
The MUD ingenuity way: Military Battery Terminal Adapter Plate Mod (w/ pics) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/military-battery-terminal-adapter-plate-mod-w-pics.501323/

Are they expensive? Yes. Are my wires still a mess? Yes. Do I regret buying them? Hell no

D498A53E-BD6D-4E60-859C-359D54219A6F.jpeg

I'm just copying this from my local club post.

Just finished installing the mil spec battery terminals to get rid of the hodgepodge I had connected before. Digging these things. Busted out the welder to make my own bolts from all thread and nuts I had laying around, and fabbed a 90* turn bracket for the fusible link and welded in the old battery post using an old engine cover bracket that was laying around. Fun little project.

These are the ones I got. They are made in USA and arent just coated to look like lead like some of the other ones. I had some modification to do, but nothing big.

Amazon.com: Fastronix Top Post Military Spec Battery Terminal and Cover Kit: Automotive

Buy Fastronix Top Post Military Spec Battery Terminal and Cover Kit: Terminals & Ends - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

I replaced the 3/8 bolt on the backside with a 5/16 bolt so that I didn't need to drill out everything. Worked great and has plenty of contact.

You will need to make a 90* twist for the fusible link with something highly conductive and with enough meat on it for the amperage. Lots of guys on mud using brass stock and twisting it. I used an old piece from an engine cover bracket - cut what I needed, reshaped it with the torch, drilled a hole and tacked in the post top from the old battery terminal. I wanted something that would fit under the boot supplied by fastronix. Brass would have been infinitely easier to shape up but I didn't want to go to the store. Here's what it looks like:

1622253937431.png

1622254057557.png

1622254095309.png

I'm just copying this from my local club post.

Just finished installing the mil spec battery terminals to get rid of the hodgepodge I had connected before. Digging these things. Busted out the welder to make my own bolts from all thread and nuts I had laying around, and fabbed a 90* turn bracket for the fusible link and welded in the old battery post using an old engine cover bracket that was laying around. Fun little project.

These are the ones I got. They are made in USA and arent just coated to look like lead like some of the other ones. I had some modification to do, but nothing big.

Amazon.com: Fastronix Top Post Military Spec Battery Terminal and Cover Kit: Automotive

Buy Fastronix Top Post Military Spec Battery Terminal and Cover Kit: Terminals & Ends - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

I replaced the 3/8 bolt on the backside with a 5/16 bolt so that I didn't need to drill out everything. Worked great and has plenty of contact.

You will need to make a 90* twist for the fusible link with something highly conductive and with enough meat on it for the amperage. Lots of guys on mud using brass stock and twisting it. I used an old piece from an engine cover bracket - cut what I needed, reshaped it with the torch, drilled a hole and tacked in the post top from the old battery terminal. I wanted something that would fit under the boot supplied by fastronix. Brass would have been infinitely easier to shape up but I didn't want to go to the store. Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 2687713

View attachment 2687714

View attachment 2687715
As usual elaborate and unique! I wouldn't expect anything less from you!
I think @geanehas sold me on the SDHQ billet terminals

Reactions: C3P
Went to add some windshield washer fluid today in the LX, and admittedly so, I haven't popped the hood in months and saw this:
IMG_6583.JPG

So back here on MUD during the late hours on Father's Day and discovered this thread. Just ordered the SDHQ terminals. Will update this thread after I swap terminals!

So as I was wiring up (after sitting on them for almost a year) my Ironman 4x4 driving lights because I actually had time to work on the LX today, I forgot that my positive terminal was looking fuzzy, but by sheer luck, the mailman came by around noon today and my new SDHQ terminals were in the mailbox! Just in time! Quality is nice, a little too nice for this rig, but I installed them without any real issue. Biggest thing you have to do is cut away the original negative cable away from the OEM terminal and use the supplied negative lug to reattach for a cleaner fit. I used my Milwaukee sawzall to do this (overkill, I know, but an excuse to use it was fine with me), and bada bing bada boom it was done.

IMG_6628.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

IMG_6633.jpg

IMG_6636.JPG

that positive lug one from the last post is seriously good. it looks like you could use the stock terminal cover used in the later years.
I couldn't find one that made it easy to use aftermarket bigger and thicker and still use the stock cover from 2005+. That one looks like you can.
My cheap version.

PXL_20210625_085037783.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210625_084927503.NIGHT.jpg

I am using the Slee Military terminals. I don't care for them at all. It gets hot here in Florida... when it gets in the 90s in summer, the cycling from hot to cooling off over and over causes them to loosen up every 5-6 weeks, pretty regularly.

Last edited:
Get one of these. I mounted mine to the top of the original fuse cover - I just drilled holes for zip ties (non-conductive), and sealed the holes.
Amazon product ASIN B01BV1MTF0
Yup that's the plan! Currently putting together all the parts needed to do a complete makeover of all aftermarket electrical accessories. Got a rats nest under the hood and dash, some wires are rubbing in places they shouldn't be, etc... Thinking of either making a custom fused relay panel under the hood, or just go with the SwitchPro system for the integrated low-profile switch bank since I'm running out of places to put switches haha.

Jason (@TRAIL TAILOR ) had been working on a mount that went next to the fuse box around the evap box that is right next to it. I had drawn up a small kydex holder for my small 4fuse kit and my amp fuse but the kydex wasn't thick enough to withstand the heat of the engine bay. Now that I am in my new place and will get all my tools again soon, I will likely take another shot at my little holder I fabbed up when I get a chance.

Jason (@TRAIL TAILOR ) had been working on a mount that went next to the fuse box around the evap box that is right next to it. I had drawn up a small kydex holder for my small 4fuse kit and my amp fuse but the kydex wasn't thick enough to withstand the heat of the engine bay. Now that I am in my new place and will get all my tools again soon, I will likely take another shot at my little holder I fabbed up when I get a chance.
think owl expedition and yotamd both are selling a mount like you describe.

think owl expedition and yotamd both are selling a mount like you describe.
Ok I knew there were a couple other guys that were working on them as well but couldn't remember who. Really it is something we could all use!

Ok I knew there were a couple other guys that were working on them as well but couldn't remember who. Really it is something we could all use!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom