Events/Trails After Christmas trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Overlandeffex

SILVER Star
Threads
UPDATE!!!

The California BDR is a go!!! Plan is to meet the on the 26th about around 9 to 10 with a location TBD soon. From there drive to Yuma to fuel and grab last minute items and on trail by 3. We will get maybe two hours on trail so have a few spots I'm looking at for day 1 camping. Looking at the trail via videos and satellite views it seems like it a desert road that is a good two track or nice fire road in other areas. That being said not sure how far we will get these days but here are miles we could cover.

Section 1 Yuma to Blythe 120 miles
Section 2 Blythe to Sahara Oasis- 127 miles
Section 3 Sahara Oasis to Primm 94 miles
Section 4 Primm to Furnace Creek 168 miles
Section 5 Furnace Creek to Race track 111 miles
Section 6 Race track to Lone Pine 66 miles
Section 7 Lone Pine to Bishop 92 miles
Section 8 Bishop to Belton 40 miles.

I have no doubt we will cover at least three sections but maybe four depending on the size if the group, speed, stops and weather/ road conditions. With all that said will try to be on the trail by 0800 each day and in camp by 1600 or 4 pm each day. The google from Furnace Creek to Escondido is just under 5 hours. We will stop for fuel when we come across it but for food plan on at least three to four days on your own meals. A potluck or cooking competition could be brought to make the trip a but more fun. So..... List below of those committed to come.

1. @Cruiser Bauers
2. @BMinSD
3. @hamilt0n
4. @SoCalDesertCruiser

Last edited:
Interested AF! A Jeffepic!

We're a maybe. Need to see if we can get the days off.

Yes

The goal at the moment is to make it to Primm , which is the end of the 3rd section and the beginning of section 4. In the FAQ's there is a question of how hard is the BDR... here is the response

The CABDR route is designed to be ridden on adventure and dual-sport motorcycles, as well as driven in 4×4 vehicles. There are no single-track style trails on this route. You can expect to cover sections of road with deep ruts, loose rocks, deep sand, rocky hill climbs/descents and other challenges. Road conditions change from week to week based on the recent weather. Depending on time of year and weather, there may be a few small deep water crossings. Flash floods can cause significant damage to roads. Don’t cross flooded washes. Wait until water subsides. Overall, the CABDR-South is one of the harder BDR routes, and is suited for riders with intermediate and above off-road skills.

So with this makes me think we can make it. As for a trailer...lets do it.

Jeff

After doing more research...this looks like we will probably be able to finish section 4...but will probably have to bail out on section 5 to 6 if I can't get a day off. Who's coming???

If you are going to bail after section 4, then may as well stop once you hit the 15 (Bailey Road). No sense in going to Primm. Plus coming back up that grade south of Primm would suck...

I'm thinking we are going to finish section 4 and finish at the beginning of 5 as doing the math on asphalt sections to Prim equal out to about 150 miles at a average of 50 mph....that's 3 hours of drive time of the total 350 miles to Primm and if they are open roads/ easy to track like I think , we could maybe even push in to Lone Pine if it all works out perfectly.

UPDATE!!!

The California BDR is a go!!! Plan is to meet the on the 26th about around 9 to 10 with a location TBD soon. From there drive to Yuma to fuel and grab last minute items and on trail by 3. We will get maybe two hours on trail so have a few spots I'm looking at for day 1 camping. Looking at the trail via videos and satellite views it seems like it a desert road that is a good two track or nice fire road in other areas. That being said not sure how far we will get these days but here are miles we could cover.

Section 1 Yuma to Blythe 120 miles
Section 2 Blythe to Sahara Oasis- 127 miles
Section 3 Sahara Oasis to Primm 94 miles
Section 4 Primm to Furnace Creek 168 miles
Section 5 Furnace Creek to Race track 111 miles
Section 6 Race track to Lone Pine 66 miles
Section 7 Lone Pine to Bishop 92 miles
Section 8 Bishop to Belton 40 miles.

I have no doubt we will cover at least three sections but maybe four depending on the size if the group, speed, stops and weather/ road conditions. With all that said will try to be on the trail by 0800 each day and in camp by 1600 or 4 pm each day. The google from Furnace Creek to Escondido is just under 5 hours. We will stop for fuel when we come across it but for food plan on at least three to four days on your own meals. A potluck or cooking competition could be brought to make the trip a but more fun. So..... List below of those committed to come.

1. @Cruiser Bauers
We are in at least till Primm.

For me it will come to if I can get my truck running. If so I am there.

Think this would be suitable for a new Subaru Outback Onyx with slightly upgraded tires (BFG Advantage T/A Sport)? No lift or anything and the typical bad approach and departure angles. Oh, and don't want body damage or pinstriping :(

It's good on dirt roads and washes but not so good on rocks or technical stuff.

No way?

Think this would be suitable for a new Subaru Outback Onyx with slightly upgraded tires (BFG Advantage T/A Sport)? No lift or anything and the typical bad approach and departure angles. Oh, and don't want body damage or pinstriping :(

It's good on dirt roads and washes but not so good on rocks or technical stuff.

No way?
Just make sure you have recovery points incase sand gets too deep?

I am not sure any of us have ever driven it. I haven't. I was browsing pictures and most just show a wide open dirt road. However, there are a few interesting sections. If it's anything like the AZ Peace trail, while most of it, even the majority, is wide open, when it's not it got tight and technical. I'd say watch a lot of youtube and see if you find anything you'd want to avoid. Sometimes too, even if there is a part, it can be bypassed and you can meet up with the group farther down. Many did this when we ran Mojave road to avoid the then-deep Afton Canyon water crossing.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom