Advice on hi-flowing CT26 turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I will have head off my 92 1HD-T shortly, and considering turbo overhaul while at it. Turbo is operating perfectly however is approaching 390k.

I will only be looking at 14psi maximum boost for a few reasons of my own.

A local supplier has offered a CT26 with upgraded Garrett 11 blade billet compressor wheel which I believe is a 28-60... Gtx or gtr was mentioned I. Regards to this but I have not written it down correctly.

Is this worthwhile over rebuilding to standard CR26?

Are there any disadvantages? The standard ct26 unit has been a very loyal and absolutely trouble free servant.

what's a rebuild going to cost? if you're looking at rebuilding the stock turbo, I would definitely look at upgrading.

I think there's better options than the GT2860 compressor. possibly better value for money available

I am fitting a used turbo from a 1HD-FTE to my HZJ105. it has a smaller turbine than 1hd-t ct26 which will help give a more responsive spool up, and has a larger compressor than 1dht ct26, so it delivers higher flow than the standard 1HD-T turbo.
it should result in better low end response, and stronger mid range, and a bit more top end. at 14 psi it will deliver a greater volume of air vs the standard turbo at 14psi. it will do more work, under less stress.
the 1hdfte compressor is larger than the garrett, and would be happy at 14psi all day, anyday

what's a rebuild going to cost? if you're looking at rebuilding the stock turbo, I would definitely look at upgrading.

I think there's better options than the GT2860 compressor. possibly better value for money available

I am fitting a used turbo from a 1HD-FTE to my HZJ105. it has a smaller turbine than 1hd-t ct26 which will help give a more responsive spool up, and has a larger compressor than 1dht ct26, so it delivers higher flow than the standard 1HD-T turbo.
it should result in better low end response, and stronger mid range, and a bit more top end. at 14 psi it will deliver a greater volume of air vs the standard turbo at 14psi. it will do more work, under less stress.
the 1hdfte compressor is larger than the garrett, and would be happy at 14psi all day, anyday

Interesting. Is the FTE a direct fit replacement? Funny it is not discussed more often. Sounds like a win-win.

Interesting. Is the FTE a direct fit replacement? Funny it is not discussed more often. Sounds like a win-win.

Not quite direct fit, but it can be an almost bolt in deal using a Supra compressor housing, or use and adapt 1hd-fte intake piping. Exhaust side, oil and water is bolt in.
It should be a decent upgrade from std, but not quite up to Gturbo level.
It's still using 20-30 year old technology.

Not quite direct fit, but it can be an almost bolt in deal using a Supra compressor housing, or use and adapt 1hd-fte intake piping. Exhaust side, oil and water is bolt in.
It should be a decent upgrade from std, but not quite up to Gturbo level.
It's still using 20-30 year old technology.

Let us know when you run it. I've been saying for a while this is a good path but I don't know of anyone who's done it.

Feel free to knock the turbine housing off and post up a photo of the turbine wheel.

Let us know when you run it. I've been saying for a while this is a good path but I don't know of anyone who's done it.

Feel free to knock the turbine housing off and post up a photo of the turbine wheel.

It's a slow moving project Dougal.
I'll take some pics of the turbine before i button it up permanently.

I chose it as a low budget compromise. I had a supra/1HD-T hybrid sitting here for it, but picked up the 1hd-fte turbo from a low mileage vehicle for $300. I was never going to pay Gturbo money, so this is definitely worth giving it a run IMO

Stubborn housing! Took more heat than I was keen on to get the turbine housing free.

IMG_20170430_141329.jpg

1HD-FTE
IMG_20170430_141815.jpg

1HD-T on left, 1HD-FTE on right. The differences in size are obvious on the bench.

I'll post more pics in the "official gturbo alternative" thread later with some dimensions.

Excellent, thanks. That's just a paddle-wheel but it's a nice paddle wheel. I've seen other, possibly aftermarket, turbine wheels for the CT20B which were a better design.

It means upgrades are easy. These run 15psi stock and appear dead reliable at that.

Excellent, thanks. That's just a paddle-wheel but it's a nice paddle wheel. I've seen other, possibly aftermarket, turbine wheels for the CT20B which were a better design.

It means upgrades are easy. These run 15psi stock and appear dead reliable at that.

do you think there's better turbine wheels that will be a direct replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom