Advice needed, re tire and wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
I am in the process of sorting out my HDJ-80 to outfit for a beach/off road and street driver. Yes, I know that is quite a combination of things, but I want to be able to get to the beach and trails with reasonable comfort and performance. I plan on doing the creature comforts- i.e. audio and tinting, and hopefully can retrofit the air con to r134, but that will be a later undertaking. I am looking to do the overland route- limb risers, rack, rear spare tire carrier, lighting, replace the bull bar with a full one, snorkel, etc.

My main concern is ditching the 17" wheels with street tires(!) that it came with (I'll send a pic later). Interesting thing is that the spare is an off road tire!! Funny thing, is that the Spanish registration stated it had a winch(!) on it previously. Anyway, my intention is to put steelies, and an agressive tire that can handle off road and street. Noise is not a factor. I run Kumho Road Ventures on my Grand Cherokee and they fit the bill for a truck(?) that does minimal off road use.

Recommendations? Would a FJ Cruiser steelie fit? What other steelies work? What size of tire and wheel? How can I tell if this has rig a lift kit on it? I would love to have the wheels that the UN Cruisers have, how can I get them? Would it be smart to do 15"? Bring on the opinions, I am ready and eager to attack and work on this rig.

Recommendations? Would a FJ Cruiser steelie fit?

I think I've read that the wheels fit, but need a one inch spacer.

FJ wheels on 80 series

What size of tire and wheel?

255/85R16 if you want tall and skinny.

How can I tell if this has rig a lift kit on it?

Measure from the bottom of the fender to the center of the wheel/hub. You should be able to find values on 'Mud for stock ride height.

I would love to have the wheels that the UN Cruisers have, how can I get them? Would it be smart to do 15"?

I think it's getting harder to find tires in 15" sizes. Edit: and I don't know if you'd clear the brakes with smaller diameter wheels.

Here's a website that can give you the offset of most stock wheels.

Since the LC has 0mm offset, to get back to stock offset with any other wheel, use a spacer equal to its (positive) offset. Adjust as you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom