Add P/S to non-P/S block? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bayfield, in the San Juan Mtns. of Colorado
How hard is this gonna be?

Is it even do-able?

Options? I.e. non-Toyota pumps & mounting options?

How hard is this gonna be?

Is it even do-able?

Options? I.e. non-Toyota pumps & mounting options?
My 60 had a Volvo pump and pulley when I bought it. I still have them and the tweaked out bracket if you need it John. Lmk.

I have an '85 FJ60, stock in the important places.

I also have an early 2F engine, likely out of an FJ40 that lacks mounting holes for the P/S.
This engine was aquired with the notion of rebuilding it (and breathing on it a bit) and sticking it in the FJ60.
I'm not willing to give up P/S but I'm amenable to replacing the stock P/S pump. If, that is, I can mount it to whichever engine is in the FJ60.
My 60 had a Volvo pump and pulley when I bought it. I still have them and the tweaked out bracket if you need it John. Lmk.

I'll keep it in mind. Volvo pumps are Sagninaw pumps but with metric connections. If it's not on, does that mean it didn't work? :hmm:;)
Current engine is running pretty well but compression is down on a couple cylinders. I'm pretty sure it's never been apart and has 325K miles on it.

Last edited:
Get a Saginaw pump and make a bracket.

I have an '85 FJ60, stock in the important places.

I also have an early 2F engine, likely out of an FJ40 that lacks mounting holes for the P/S.
This engine was aquired with the notion of rebuilding it (and breathing on it a bit) and sticking it in the FJ60.
I'm not willing to give up P/S but I'm amenable to replacing the stock P/S pump. If, that is, I can mount it to whichever engine is in the FJ60.

I'll keep it in mind. Volvo pumps are Sagninaw pumps but with metric connections. If it's not on, does that mean it didn't work? :hmm:;)
Current engine is running pretty well but compression is down on a couple cylinders. I'm pretty sure it's never been apart and has 345K miles on it.
Corrected. It was the res it had.... pulley might have been a Toyota pulley. Not sure now. I’ll go look now. Definitely wasn’t a sag. I honestly spotted a guy parting his truck and the GM setup was ugly and I wanted it gone so I got lucky w/ a used stock pump.

Here it is... w/ a pulley.

93E874D7-894F-4BAF-8C48-A8910388CE93.jpeg

FF736A49-CDB8-4426-B05A-719F365A960A.jpeg

31F656EA-0FBC-4CDE-B763-8CCD8930527E.jpeg

33A45DCE-8E0E-49B5-8183-0C338BCCD9F5.jpeg

you could drill and tap the block. working on a rig and pulled the ps pump mount off the block and who ever drilled it went a little deep and I drained the coolant down when I removed a bolt.

you could drill and tap the block. working on a rig and pulled the ps pump mount off the block and who ever drilled it went a little deep and I drained the coolant down when I removed a bolt.
The pre-79 2F and F blocks do not have the flat area machined so drilling and tapping them probably isn't going to be your best bet …..

Georg

The pre-79 2F and F blocks do not have the flat area machined so drilling and tapping them probably isn't going to be your best bet …..

Georg
Any reason I can't put the P/S pump where the smog pump used to be?
Also, any other reason I shouldn't use the early 2F motor?

Any reason I can't put the P/S pump where the smog pump used to be?
Also, any other reason I shouldn't use the early 2F motor?
The smog pump location works, and there are no draw-backs to the earlier 2F.

The smog pump location works, and there are no draw-backs to the earlier 2F.
Can your Saginaw conversion go to the smog pump location?

Can your Saginaw conversion go to the smog pump location?

Our bracket kit ( originally designed and built by Bill Dorry ) attaches to the engine mount bolts and locates the ps pump up above the smog pump; that way you can retain the smog pump if need be.

Georg

Our bracket kit ( originally designed and built by Bill Dorry ) attaches to the engine mount bolts and locates the ps pump up above the smog pump; that way you can retain the smog pump if need be.

Georg
Does it require the stock p/s mounting holes, i.e. will it work on a non-p/s block?

Georg
Does it require the stock p/s mounting holes, i.e. will it work on a non-p/s block?

already answered in the post previous to yours …….

Yes, works with non-ps 2F blocks.

already answered in the post previous to yours …….

Yes, works with non-ps 2F blocks.
Sorry to be a pita about this but I need to make sure I can do what I want to do with the non-p/s block before I rebuild it.
One last. . . no two last questions:
Does or can the p/s pump serve as the adjustment pulley for the water pump belt with your kit?
What does it cost?

No worries.

Yes, the PS pump bracket and pulley serve as the tensioners. We sell the bracket kit for $79, the rebuilt pump ( with cap ) for $89 ( no core charge ) and the billet aluminum pulley for $98. Everything is good in stock.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids
shop 209-475-8808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom