AC/Heater blower motor died...replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My AC/Heater blower fan just died. Took the motor out of the housing and piles of black brush dust fell out. It's shot, brushes worn completely through, etc...

Not many threads on replacement motors...other than the one NAPA carries that has to be wire spliced.

Is this best option? Any other options, other than sourcing another 25+ year old unit?? Will call Napa but thought I'd check the brain trust here.

Need asap, it's freekin hot here.

Four Seasons 35638 is about your only option, now.... Good replacement. Canadian made. Any local parts house should be able to get it in a day or so. Vatozone and O'Reilly's had it.

Depending on how much you love OEM parts.... NOS ones can be found if you want to pay more $$.

Yeah, they're all the same motor, far as I can tell... Not sure what NAPA sells, but might be worth a look.

Funny (well, maybe not for me), but I was organizing today and came across my NIB back-up blower motor and was curious about it because of this thread. Took it off the shelf and opened it and...

:crybaby::bang::doh:

Found I had been sent a 24V version.

Oh well, I suppose into classifieds it goes for somebody with a diesel....

Just to put a cap on this thread....I ordered the 4 Seasons 35638 from Autozone. Pleasantly surprised when the box showed up on the doorstep a few days early. Very simple replacement that doesn't need much explanation, but always nice when a thread wraps up with a few specifics and a few photos.

As advertised, it's a direct OEM replacement, just needs some wiring fitment. In a hurry I crimped on some basic male spade connectors to the new fan's raw wires, will probably re-crimp new connectors with proper heat shrink. The 4 season wires are plenty long to allow for trimming if wanted/needed. It does matter which way the wires plug into the factory connector, if reversed the fan will run backwards. Good chance to give the squirrel cage fan a proper cleaning as well. The new fan motor seems only slightly louder than the original, but not really noticeable when driving, I suspect it will "break in" some and will never be noticeable.

Pics.....
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just ran into the same issue, thought it was the resistor and ordered one of those (New, they can be had for $15-$20) not the $75 that they go for in a few places. Then I thought i would pull the blower motor and check that, lots of black powder everywhere, pulled the cap off the motor and found one brush completely gone and the other just a chip of it left, the part of the armature where the brushes ride was all worn down. Of course it is 10 degrees outside right now! Ordered from PartsGeek
Parts Ordered
1986 Toyota Land Cruiser Blower Motor Price: $80.08 Qty: 1 Part #: 35638

CruiserParts.net also has motors with a few options available; used, better, best

Makes me wonder how many other things are about to fail.......at 223k miles

Just ran into the same issue, thought it was the resistor and ordered one of those (New, they can be had for $15-$20) not the $75 that they go for in a few places. Then I thought i would pull the blower motor and check that, lots of black powder everywhere, pulled the cap off the motor and found one brush completely gone and the other just a chip of it left, the part of the armature where the brushes ride was all worn down. Of course it is 10 degrees outside right now! Ordered from PartsGeek
Parts Ordered
1986 Toyota Land Cruiser Blower Motor Price: $80.08 Qty: 1 Part #: 35638

CruiserParts.net also has motors with a few options available; used, better, best

Makes me wonder how many other things are about to fail.......at 223k miles
Hard to believe it has been 4.5 years since I posted that.

What I learned searching this fan motor from numerous sources, seems there is only one manufacturer making these. Everyone sells the same unit.

I think all those aftermarket blowers are made by Siemens, in Canada. They are quite good. I have one in mine. Compared to the old unit it was like having a leaf blower as replacement.

Fwiw, often the performance of the HVAC system has declined because the foam seals around the ducting has disintegrated. Good idea to replace with Home Depot HD weatherstripping, but might involve removing the dash.

I think all those aftermarket blowers are made by Siemens, in Canada. They are quite good. I have one in mine. Compared to the old unit it was like having a leaf blower as replacement.

Fwiw, often the performance of the HVAC system has declined because the foam seals around the ducting has disintegrated. Good idea to replace with Home Depot HD weatherstripping, but might involve removing the dash.
I honestly hate them. Poor airflow and they squeal like a chimp throwing a temper tantrum. I've gone through about three until I got fed up and chased down a repairable OEM unit. On my to-do list is finding a reliable method for doing a legitimate restoration of OEM blowers. For the one I did I reconditioned the commutator as best I could and put new bushings in them that have more surface area on the ends than the Roger Brown bushings. Works very well and is silent, but I think I can do much better once I can invest the time into it.

@Spook50

I've been very happy with mine and I've had it on the truck for 10 years or more. My analog A/F meter makes more noise than the blower. I even bought a back up that I plugged in to test and it's same as the other... Maybe they changed mfg ? Dunno. Been a while since I looked into them... You sure your air intake cage in the cowl isn't clogged with debris? That's common.

Anyway, no doubt the OE Toyo is superior, I saw the pix you posted of the differences in motors. But since it's the only game in town, at the moment... ;) Wish I had kept my old OE unit. I tossed it. :(:mad:

Same unit City Racer now sells.

:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom