AC Dryer alternative? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
After searching I've come up short. Im getting ready to service my AC system and am trying to decide on the dryer route. I have a bull bar without the dryer protection. I've heard of camry and tundra dryers that are smaller and tuck up out of the way, but I cant find any specifcs for doner vehicles.

Any one know what im looking for?

i think there's a relocation kit from JDM. never seen anyone done it but i remember someone mentioning it.

I was looking at my 80 a few weeks ago and it seems to me that you could use the R12 setup from the condenser to the dryer in front of the battery and then from the dryer to that joint on the side of the fender.

I was going to ask about this as I'm not sure if there is some sort of compatibility issue between the two types.

A long time ago someone found that some manufacturers' dryers are shorter. I visited several parts stores and found one that was at least an inch shorter. Then I simply twisted the dryer at a 45 degree angle and mounted it with one screw in the original position and the other in a factory welded nut that happened to correspond with the dryer's new position. Bending the lines was a bit nerve wracking, but it worked perfectly and the dryer is above the lower part of the core support and out of the rocks. Even with my minimalist bumper, the dryer hardly shows at all, which was the whole point. :D

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8515.jpg

IMG_8516.jpg

-Spike
IMG_8514.jpg
IMG_8515.jpg
IMG_8516.jpg

Any after market dryer ought to work,if the fittings are the same. Go to an a.c. auto. supply house. Mike

Pretty sure any good AC shop can relocate the dryer, any way shouldn't be too hard.:cheers:

My dryer sits behind this bumper. I loosened the strap that holds it in place. Then I worked it upword. Both lines can be managed without problems. Just take your time and don't kink them. Once I had it where I wanted it I cut off the extra part of the cradle that was still hanging down. I raised it to the point that I can just bairly get the turn lamp in place. I also had to trim some of the plastic on the back of the turn lamp to clear where the lines go in the dryer. These cuts did not go through to the inside of the lamp. You can just see the dryer under the turn. Yea, in a collision the dryer is still toast. But, It's up out of the way and minor offroading bumps and hits it should be fine. Hope this helps.
IMG_0159.JPG

Last edited:
PM Mot and do it right. Sucks having to design a bumper around part of your AC system.
Dryer Relocation.jpg

But thats where I keep my oil. ;)

x2 on the aftermarket. Mine hides behind an ARB non-winch. I understand that, with some carefull tweaking you can move it up ~1".

PM Mot and do it right. Sucks having to design a bumper around part of your AC system.

Thanks, Nay! :crybaby:

The shop I get it from uses Toyota components and modifies them, I belive.

BTW, I've got only one left, but can get more if anyone needs it. :grinpimp:

My dryer sits behind this bumper. I loosened the strap that holds it in place. Then I worked it upword. Both lines can be managed without problems. Just take your time and don't kink them. Once I had it where I wanted it I cut off the extra part of the cradle that was still hanging down. I raised it to the point that I can just bairly get the turn lamp in place. I also had to trim some of the plastic on the back of the turn lamp to clear where the lines go in the dryer. These cuts did not go through to the inside of the lamp. You can just see the dryer under the turn. Yea, in a collision the dryer is still toast. But, It's up out of the way and minor offroading bumps and hits it should be fine. Hope this helps.

Looks like you could use the front left turn signal lense.

I've got used sets if you're interested (Check my e-bay sig line). :grinpimp:

Sorry for the hijack! :doh:

CARRY ON!!

Just went to the Pick N Pull today and guess what...the A/C dryer, bracket and lines from a 91 (to relocate to the DS) are plug and play for an FZJ. Unbolted them and will have an A/C shop drain and refill my system. Cost, $29.99. Looking forward to having the dryer well out of reach.

:cheers:

Steve

P.S. Also pulled the PS battery box, for future dual-battery setup...$5! Gotta love the C4C progam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom