A750F in LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I'm looking at doing an engine transplant and I want to put in the A750F transmission in. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and how they have gotten the shifter to integrate into the 80 center console or what other console they used. I want it to look as stock as possible. If I couldn't get it to look good I wouldn't be apposed to using a tundra column shift.
Cheers,
Lindsay

Are you swapping in a late model 2UZ? If you feel comfortable tackling that swap getting the shifter to work should be the least of your concerns. It's nothing more than a mechanical lever, the indexing is done on the transmission side you just need to build a linkage.

I am actually going to be swapping in a 1HD-FTE which came with the A750 from Australia, so I want to get everything as planned out as possible so I get everything that I can foreseeably see needing imported in one go. For the shifter I want to find the one I'm using and make sure it's the got the same plug ins as the right hand drive one for the australian cruiser. There is actually a switch in the shifter that lets the tranny know when in 4th and 1st (or 2nd and drive). Cheers,
Lindsay

Hey I say give it a shot and try it. Just because someone has not done it doesn't mean it can't be done. If you have the electrical/fabrication skills.

If you are getting a 1HD-FTE, and an A750 from Australia, why not just also get the center console, shifter, and computers? Seems like that would be the easiest. All plugs match, console and shifter match, etc.

Scottryana:
The FTE was only offered in the 100 series, and I'm thinking the center console will be too wide. Also the transfer lever and transmission shifter and swapped around for what we have here. So, if the 100 center console does actually fit, then I'll get one from here with the transfer and transmission shifters in the correct place, and maybe just get the shifter assembly from the one in oz.
IMG_3411.JPG

Rockjock82:
I'm hoping there isn't too much fab required. From what I can guess, some work on the transmission tunnel, the crossmember, which I hope I can do by putting a small extension on and some work to get the intercooler through in front of the radiator. There may be a little bit on the airbox and the A/C lines. There will be the driveshafts, but I'll outsource them. The electrical on the other hand will be much more intensive, but I will be able to get through it (hopefully).

The FJ Cruiser also has a floor shifter and was used with the A750F. It should be easy to make work in a 80 console.

That's a great idea bonomonster. I was originally thinking a Lexus gx470, but they have an average center console and the 4Runner doesn't have a shifter for the transfer case so the FJ will be a great option. I have had to put this project on the back burner for the winter due to funds and I don't really want to do this in the summer, so it may be next winter before I actually tackle this project.

If you need help getting bits from here, let me know, might be able to help.

If you need help getting bits from here, let me know, might be able to help.
Thanks for the offer ALX4x4. I will let you know if I need any help sourcing parts.
Cheers,
Lindsay

I just got this newsletter from Wholesale Automatics and it looks like they're getting close to a stand alone A750F transmission ECU.

Wholesale Automatics 2015 Updates - Wholesale Automatic Transmissions
That's really cool. There are multiple threads on here discussing retrofitting the A750F into their 98-02 Cruisers who would be interested in this. I bet there would be a lot of people who would also mate them up to their 80 series if the ECU was a reasonable price.

This would be awesome for an 80 series. I would love a 4.7 V8 to a A750f into a crawl box and then into a split transfer case... Drool

Sent from my XT1254

I'd be happy with a A750F for starters. My 4Runner has that tranny and the gear ratio spread is very sweet. It'd really help keep the 1FZFE in the power band.

I'd be happy with a A750F for starters. My 4Runner has that tranny and the gear ratio spread is very sweet. It'd really help keep the 1FZFE in the power band.
Same here. I liked it in my FJ Cruiser. Just make sure to swap out the stock torque converter and run a cooler with a built up 80.

Sent from my XT1254

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom