A343F Trans compatibility: FJZ80 & LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hiya friends.

I need some pro mudder opinions/advice here. I have a 97 FJZ80, where someone (before my ownership) destroyed the threads on the A343F's trans oil drain plug. They did a crappy job with an insert, and when I did a drain/fill on saturday, the insert came loose. Now, the hole is seeping, and nobody likes that. :rofl:

Of course the Toyota part for the trans pan, 35106-60100 is discontinued. But, I did find that the LX470 (circa 2001) uses the same trans, and that part is available (35106-60110). A quick look at the schematic, picture on ebay, and gasket hole pattern seems to indicate that they are the same. I also cross-referenced websites of trans rebuilders/resellers, and they indicate that the A343F is used in both trucks.

What do y'all think? Is this likely a direct replacement, and the same part? I'm a super s***ty welder (and don't have equipment), so replacing the pan is a better option for me than patching and redrilling/tapping the drain hole.

Thanks!

Probably not even close but the only way to find out is to buy one and compare to what you have.

But realistically even if the pan were to bolt up to the transmission the dipstick tube would very likely not be in the same position or even be the same design/length due to the different engines (L6 vs V8) and different positions of engine bay components.

Easier to find someone to weld in a new bung/threads or start searching
Salvage yards for a used pan.

Maybe someday someone will design a weld-in replacement A343F transmission pan drain plug bung?? @NLXTACY

Right on, I appreciate the reply.

Well, the part is returnable, so I ordered it, and will report back on my findings. One way or another, this will get sorted

Definitely take and post up some photos of the pan; front view, rear, side, bottom views, etc so we can compare.

Will do for sure. I should have the part in a couple of days. The Toyota parts network to dealers in SoCal has been super robust in my experience so far

Last edited:
Might be wrong and it might be a year thing but if I recall 100 series does not have a dipstick check where the 80 does, 100 has the plug and Allen check. If that’s the only difference no problem but not sure.

Update: I picked up the UJZ100/LX470 pan today.

Here are the first 5 pictures (I can't post more than 5, but I'll create another post)

The pan looks almost identical to the one for the FJZ80. The gasket for the 80 lines up perfectly with the UJZ100 A343F pan.

When I crawled under the truck and held up the new pan to the old one, the only difference that I could see is the shape of the dipstick tube; they're curved a little bit differently. That being said, it looks like it ends up in the same place. Everything else looks exactly the same.

At this point, I think it's close enough that it warrants dropping the old pan, and trying to fit this one. As long as the pickup is the same depth, the inside of the pans look the same and the dipstick works, it should be good.

I ordered the wrong drain plug, so I have another order out to the dealer. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow, and I'll work on this over the weekend.

I'll be sure to report back.

IMG_5823 copy.jpg

IMG_5824 copy.jpg

IMG_5825 copy.jpg

IMG_5826 copy.jpg

IMG_5827 copy.jpg

Nice I thought hundreds got rid of the dip stick maybe it’s later years. Worse case maybe you need the dip stick too from the same year?

Nice I thought hundreds got rid of the dip stick maybe it’s later years. Worse case maybe you need the dip stick too from the same year?
The later 100s don't have a dipstick; and they don't have a A343F transmisions. All the early (A343F) transmssions do. The difference in the 80 and 100 series A343Fs are the clutch disks and the solenoids; the cases and torque converters are the same. Toyota apparently thought the V8 needed a little stronger transmission.

The later 100s don't have a dipstick; and they don't have a A343F transmisions. All the early (A343F) transmssions do. The difference in the 80 and 100 series A343Fs are the clutch disks and the solenoids; the cases and torque converters are the same. Toyota apparently thought the V8 needed a little stronger transmission.
Makes me wonder if we can substitute the 100 goodies into the 80 trans?

Allrighty then. Time for a post-mortem report.

@Kernal was exactly right. The dipstick tube is the problem. The pan is otherwise identical to the 80's pan, but the lower dipstick tube has incorrect bends, and is shorter than the one that's on the 80 pan. I ended up repairing the old pan, and reinstalling it.

That being said, if you wanted/needed to use the new pan, I think the easiest way to do so might be to drill out the 3 spot welds where the tube meets the pan, swap out the dipstick tubes, and re-weld.

Were the pans identical otherwise, and do you have photos of the two pans sitting next to each other?

Last edited:
The pans were identical otherwise. Apologies, I didn’t take comparison photos, Doh!

The original 80 pan’s dipstick tube is about 3” longer, and bends outward more than the one for the 100

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if we can substitute the 100 goodies into the 80 trans?
From my comparison, the 100 series A343F is a replacement for the 80 series A343F, but not the other way around (I have one of each sitting in the driveway). It's not a drop-in; there are minor differences, but if you had both, you could make it work. I suspect you could make the 80 work in the 100, but Toyota changed the clutches for a reason, and I haven't compared them side by side yet, that's coming later this year, and my SWAG is that it'd work, but the longevity wouldn't be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom