A343 Seals While Its Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While I'm putting the engine back together, I was going to send the tranny out for seals. Intent is preventive so I don't have to drop the tranny 10K miles after putting it back in. I figure most every thing else can be done in the truck if its an issue down the line. Looking for input on the below, please. More? Less?

(CAVEAT I do ATs like dogs do calculus)

Trq_Convert.JPG

Always did the torque converter seal to tranny, that was it, and rear main. Could also reseal the pan arch on engine.

It was a complete rebuild so pan arch and rear main are new.

250k and the tranny is dry, I just don’t want to have to drop it in 10k miles for anything preventative I can and should do now while it’s out.

Definitely change the ATF. I'd also be tempted to replaced the torque converter, since it's out, so that when you get around to replacing the clutches, you don't have to wait around for it to show up. It's not cheap at around $250, but it is cheap insurance. And it's only twice the cost of the ATF change...ouch!

Definitely change the ATF. I'd also be tempted to replaced the torque converter, since it's out, so that when you get around to replacing the clutches, you don't have to wait around for it to show up. It's not cheap at around $250, but it is cheap insurance. And it's only twice the cost of the ATF change...ouch!
Where did you find a TC for $250? Everywhere I look the PNs below are NLA….

3200060080 /​

3200060090​

That sucks. Their prices have gone up significantly then; they quoted me $250 in March. Florida TC's prices were the same. I got all my quotes within a week of each other.

Im trying to not get myself in over my head on this one. Looks like the pump has to come out to replace the seal, which means the o-ring needs to be replaced as well.
The 343 repair manual says you need SST 09610-20012 to remove the pump. What are my options?

Capture.JPG

It's just a two-jaw puller. Advance Auto has them to loan.

Ok. Looks like the only way to get any purchase is to get a skinny puller and go behind the seal?

image.jpg

Just so no one gets the idea this is a one step process...
A343F Assembly

Last edited:
Ok. Looks like the only way to get any purchase is to get a skinny puller and go behind the seal?

View attachment 3167109

Dude,

Just yanky my wanky with a screwdriver or a seal puller. As long as you don't scratch up the sealing surface, you're golden. I'm at 295xxx and the only thing I've done is to replace the front tranny input seal, rear output seal/tcase input seal and that's really all I did when I dropped the Tcase+tranny many years ago.

well crap...The assembly link is fixed now. My undying thanks to the mystery that is the Windows clipboard.

Last edited:
well crap...The assembly link is fixed now. My undying thanks to the mystery that is the Windows clipboard.

I looked at the video in that link and holy cow, that's impressive. I had to keep telling myself that red stuff in the bottle is NOT hot sauce, but ATF :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom