A viable alternative to the OEM Hand throttle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey friends,

Given that the OE hand throttle is hard to find / crazy expensive, I'm looking for an alternative. What do you all think about this one --- fits perfectly into the stock hole.

hand throttle

Fit pictures below.

Thx!

-Ophir

IMG_9388.JPG

IMG_9389.JPG

IMG_9392.JPG

That might be great.
For reference, the way the original Toyota throttle positioner works is the knob shaft is pulled outwards (no twisting required) and it has serrated cutouts along the bottom of the shaft that catch a semi flimsy spring that catches each step/notch to lock the shaft in that position. It's not adjustable with a fine grain screw thread, but incremental increases when each notch catches the spring retainer.

To release it, the knob needs to be twisted about 90° to disengage it from the spring clip and then the knob can be pressed back in or adjusted to a lower throttle position.

In a panic if some dufus yanks on the knob while driving and doesn't know how to release it, the knob can be slammed shut without twisting it, but doing that will mangle the stop spring and pretty much ruin the locking mechanism. I learned this from a fellow dufus riding shotgun who suddenly yanked on the throttle positioner (saying "what's this?) then slamming it shut as the engine started racing at a stoplight- breaking it. What a moron.

If there's kids in the cruiser - watch out

I know on the 80 forum, many have suggested the Toro mower cable. I personally like the looks of that one better than this one. Looks almost factory.

Installed and works great! Love the big red button emergency disable.

Cut cable to 17” from front nut and strip shield off the last 5”.

Easy mod - ❤ old toyotas!

ACA12316-F2CC-4BC5-85C4-83887DF16782.jpeg

197411CF-4763-42B6-88A8-9135462C3EFB.jpeg

BA6BC7A1-7D69-4054-BC07-F6FB6FF68950.jpeg

0883B851-CEA4-4571-B5B2-1A3BD1545147.jpeg

A2A73250-A618-49AA-B6CC-37E76A68B395.jpeg

Tried to upload video of it in action but no dice (file too large -- weird for only 8 seconds)

Last edited:
Videos have to be uploaded to YouTube, then linked on this page

After going on a test drive I can say that this option works great in both crawl mode (1st gear) and freeway speeds. Another benefit is that you have the full range of throttle available - you can depress the pedal all the way to the stop with this hand throttle. I like the heavy duty bolt design, when you are turning the knob you are using the threads to incrementally increase / decrease the throttle --- no spring involved.

Big red emergency button works great as well.

Finally, thank you Toyota... with the way that the linkage is set up, you can accelerate from wherever the throttle is set making it very convenient for passing on the freeway while engaged.

Net net - I'm happy with the setup. :)

Hand throttle Video

IMG_9417.jpg

IMG_9415.jpg

That might be great.
For reference, the way the original Toyota throttle positioner works is the knob shaft is pulled outwards (no twisting required) and it has serrated cutouts along the bottom of the shaft that catch a semi flimsy spring that catches each step/notch to lock the shaft in that position. It's not adjustable with a fine grain screw thread, but incremental increases when each notch catches the spring retainer.

To release it, the knob needs to be twisted about 90° to disengage it from the spring clip and then the knob can be pressed back in or adjusted to a lower throttle position.

In a panic if some dufus yanks on the knob while driving and doesn't know how to release it, the knob can be slammed shut without twisting it, but doing that will mangle the stop spring and pretty much ruin the locking mechanism. I learned this from a fellow dufus riding shotgun who suddenly yanked on the throttle positioner (saying "what's this?) then slamming it shut as the engine started racing at a stoplight- breaking it. What a moron.

If there's kids in the cruiser - watch out
So this dufus needs some clarity. I installed the manual OEM throttle cable and pull out and push in without issue. Am I one last use away from destroying the mechanism?

We (my son and I) just got back from a 100ish mile road trip on the freeway and dirt roads. I have to say that this mod is awesome! Driving on the freeway at 65 with the hand throttle on is delightful - going up a hill rotate it a half turn or so ccw to maintain speed, going downhill same thing but cw.

Rolling uphill for 30mins in 2nd gear at 15mph - set it and drive.

Best $50 I've spent so far on my rig :)

IMG_9447.jpg

IMG_9433.JPG

IMG_9443.JPG

Added to list. Love to have a cruise control like option. Would make longer stints on the freeway a little more comfortable.

Added to list. Love to have a cruise control like option. Would make longer stints on the freeway a little more comfortable.

It does! :)

I installed the manual OEM throttle cable and pull out and push in without issue

The Toyota cable I had, locked in incremental steps with a spring clip underneath (behind dash) into the machined ratchets on the bottom of the shaft. Mine couldn't be pressed back in without turning the knob 90° first. The twisting of the knob was spring loaded.
Who knows? Maybe they updated the design? I purchased my throttle positioner 31 years ago.

If your throttle cable holds position, that's all that matters.

Note for safety.

If you have to brake in a hurray have a plan. Practice the plan. If you have an automatic transmission and slam on the brake it's not going to stop. Turning off the key, putting the trans into N super fast etc might be a plan.
With a manual you can push in the clutch as you brake.

There is a reason this kind of hand throttle isn't on vehicles today.

I also thought there might be a way to use an electric actuator. That can be bumped up or down on tension. Have a micro switch on the brake to dis-engage if you encounter problems. More like a cruise control. But a throttle control instead of trying to maintain speed.

I've had my OEM hand throttle stuck, and panicked and had to push in the clutch letting it rev as I sorted out the hand throttle.

Note for safety.

I've had my OEM hand throttle stuck, and panicked and had to push in the clutch letting it rev as I sorted out the hand throttle.
What caused the "sticky situation" ?
Good safety reminder @brownbear
I don't believe Mr T intent was to provide a cruise control function for today's US freeway speeds.

I used mine occasionally as a poor man's cruise control on empty straight highways (at highway speed) when I was driving all day long. It allows you to take your foot off the gas pedal for a while to reposition and stretch your legs when the day wears on- really helpful. Even when it's locked off though, you can apply the brakes and the vehicle will slow down considerably even though you're braking with the engine pushing.
What I found it reeeeeeeally useful for was when driving offroad on very bumpy dirt trails in low 1 or Low 2. Not really trails but offroad completely. The throttle positioner could lock off the engine so the cruiser would crawl like a tractor instead of lurching forward every time I'd hit a bump which caused my foot to hit the gas like the tail wagging the dog

Reminds me of my first GL 1000 with a throttle lock. Helped on long rides, but yes everything would be a full rev if for whatever reason you laid it down. Yes, newer vehicles no longer have this for a reason. But for the folks that wrench their own vehicles I give them more credit than most for being aware of SHTF in terms of unexpected mechanical complications. How many of us are old enough to remember when DR ed included what to do if your hood popped and flew up at highway speeds? Think thats still included? (sorry for the minor hijack)

$.02

Glenn in Marana

Hand throttle on my 47..

What caused the "sticky situation" ?
Good safety reminder @brownbear
I don't believe Mr T intent was to provide a cruise control function for today's US freeway speeds.
My sticky throttle was probably a bit caused by surprise and not having the time to push it in. Also I did not know I could use my foot to relieve some pressure on the hand throttle. I had pulled it too much. And it was early in my cruiser years and I was not fully knowledgeable about turning it to release.

I use it mainly for bumping up the idle to charge the battery or warm the engine. Or if you a PTO winch or something else PTO it would be used for that.

Hi
Please don’t turn off the key
Mine doesn’t stop without brake vacuum.
I’ve experienced a broken alternator belt and I had almost no brakes
Regards
Alex

Hi
Please don’t turn off the key
Mine doesn’t stop without brake vacuum.
I’ve experienced a broken alternator belt and I had almost no brakes
Regards
Alex

Just to be clear, this doesn't make any sense...

There should be a 1 way valve that allows the booster to get vacuum as needed - generally for 1 or 2 actuactions of the brake after the engine shuts off... in fact, it's also how you can brake after being full throttle as there's effectively no vacuum at full throttle.

A broken alt belt wouldn't shut the engine down either and you should have vacuum still... if its a serp belt system you might lose water pump and power steering pump functionality, but doesnt impact the brakes nor engines ability to stay running.

As for the throttle knob - ours seems stock, pulls out, pushes in, and holds? Seems stock (88)

I installed the manual OEM throttle cable and pull out and push in without issue.
FWIW, my "stock" Toyota hand throttle operates in a similar fashion. Clicks as it is pulled out, stays in the last clicked position, and just pushes in to disengage,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom