Builds A Touch of Gray build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice rig. Wished I lived back in NC after seeing those pictures. Nothing like wheeling Tellico on Saturday and bombing down single track in Tsali on Sunday.

Where was this??

IT's what we call "the Holy Land".... we could tell ya' but we'd have to kill ya' :flipoff2:

Should be taking a trip there with either the Upstate cruiser guys or Old Northstate Cruiser guys. Join in and find out. :steer:

i am now pretty much convinced, IMHO, that 3.5 to 4 inch lift on the 80 is the perfect lift. Unless you plan on putting portal axles under it. But for stock drive train, that's the best target i think.

IT's what we call "the Holy Land".... we could tell ya' but we'd have to kill ya' :flipoff2:

Should be taking a trip there with either the Upstate cruiser guys or Old Northstate Cruiser guys. Join in and find out. :steer:

I know where the "holy land" is :grinpimp:
I believe we have a trip planned there for october but for now we are focusing on set up for the uwharrie trip.

Thank you for the nice write-up J. I was curious what sort of exhaust setup you had. Sorry to hear you're still having problems with your gas tank(s). Hopefully you can make it out to URE in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for the nice write-up J. I was curious what sort of exhaust setup you had. Sorry to hear you're still having problems with your gas tank(s). Hopefully you can make it out to URE in a couple of weeks.

He'll make it...he's got the tank swap down to a science :D.

I can't understand how a gas tank can start leaking the same as the previous one right after being installed. I've never heard of this before on any kind of vehicle. I hope you figure it out sooner or later.

You and me both !!! Ive got a new gas cap and Ive checked the ventline from the tank to the charcoal canister and it flows freely as well as the typical culprit which is the outlet end from the charcoal canister that terminates in the front USDS frame rail. All clear so who knows??

Ill make the URE trip.........10 gal at a time :D
Just came back from the OBX and everyone thought i was filling up at every stop LOL

Thanks Clint...... I really like the placement but the tone and welding left a little to be desired. I knew that price was too good to be a perfect solution. Definately thinking of redoing it in time and trying to find a denali muffler w/ single inlet or the 70/80 series instead of the 50 series i ended up with when i wasnt looking.

S4's right . First time was like 5 and a half hours. Last weeks swap was a svelte hour and 45 min. Thanks for the shots.... I love the progression when clicking through my pics; its like the old animation sketchbooks you flip through. Think the madre was a bit worried at the edge of that rock :D

:doh: and now w/ more character .....

and a tentative date to spray the flares this weekend work/weather permitting:)
yankeestoys09 050.jpg

What are you running for bumpstops with your setup? I have the same springs/shocks ready to go in and am considering my tire options now.

What are you running for bumpstops with your setup? I have the same springs/shocks ready to go in and am considering my tire options now.

I'll answer for him. nothing. just has stock bumpstops in.

THe rear tires rub a little on the frame rail and the fronts a little on the control arm at full turn, but that is because the tires/wheels are not spaced out properly.

Last edited:
yup, stock bumpstops. I did lower the sway bars. Lots of good choices out there.

Concrete is running my old trxus and we both liked them. Can be a bit of a bear to balance but its a great in between tire that does good on road and great on the trail. However im running the two sets for now. Road (315) and Trail(37).
roadvstrail 002.jpg

:doh: and now w/ more character .....

and a tentative date to spray the flares this weekend work/weather permitting:)

It's just a flesh wound. That sh!t'll buff out. :D

Seriously though, a good scrub with clay bar and polish will make a huge improvement.

I'll definitely take a peek at your exhaust setup at URE. At some point I'll be looking for a new muffler...

Last edited:
I cant believe it took me this long to notice this is youre rotw. Great write up. This 80 is one of the reasons I sold my 40 to purchase one. I loved my 40 but after riding with J to Tellico I knew I had to get an 80. I have had the opportunity to wheel with J and ride in this truck many times and it is pretty much point and shoot. Always a blast to watch. Heres a couple of more pics.
tmpphpeQcTGt.jpg
tmpphpvAyTZz.jpg

2'' .120 woody :D

Thanks threadkilla ;)

thought i'd update w/ the newest mod.

Picked up a new driveshaft from Tom Woods this week. Was surprised to hear Tom himself answer the phone and make placing my order a breeze. I followed their abc's and 123's for sizing the appropriate build, but if you go to their website there are a few other factors to include to ensure vibe free performance and longest life.(pinion angle, tcase angle and driveshaft slope)

For my application(Your results may vary) I ended up selecting their T4 flange w/ a 2'' diameter shaft vs the OE 2.75 but the wall thickness is .120 compared to .083 (i believe but am not positive) of the stocker. The U-joints are 1310 series I also opted for the extended life splines and the boot. I did not realize the shaft splines did not have a zirk but im not too worried as its caused some folks some problems from overgreasing and with the limited miles the 80 sees now i can add it to the annual maintenance if its even necessary.

and thanks to the folks who were kind enough to PM me about these being FZJ 80's but i picked my screen name to sound like JF's 80 using my initials :D
woody 001.jpg
woody 002.jpg
woody 003.jpg

Nice!

So does this mean we are wheeling first thing in the morning???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom