Builds A Touch of Gray build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We parted ways Sunday and I had crafted my work schedule to get me up in the area Wednesday to start the weekend and also some work Monday in VA so I stayed and poked around another night Enjoying a new to me trail and campsite.

Work went well for a Monday.
The ride home not so much.

Had stopped for a to-go pie from my favorite pizza joint. Hung out with good friend for a brief moment and got back on the highway. In second gear trying to get up to speed up the southbound ramp grade I looked over my shoulder for traffic (all lanes clear) and looked back in front of me to see the girl in front of me had just stopped in the merge lane.

Only thought I had was to miss them. Unfortunately this was a hard left at 55-60 into the Jersey barrier.

Typical fashion the front end of the 80 can get up and over most any obstacle. The high clearance bumper and 37s didn’t hurt. Resulted in basically a gnarly backside grind but I totally biffed the landing on the northbound lane shoulder :(

Maybe fitting having just left a skateboard inspired pizza shop.

Most importantly myself and the two pups survived unhurt. Even the pizza made it out alive. But, the 80 is gone.

A giant thank you to @Comet and @fj40z for helping coordinate the gathering and mudshippjng of myself, my pups and my gear home.

Hope to be back in an 80 some day.

RIP LUNA. 336,732 miles
5/04 - 10/23
19yr 5mos and 154k miles 20 states
Not a bad run but sad it has come to an end.
IMG_3458.jpeg

Last edited:
But I never did put that door on…….. 😂

Because of the updates you posted yesterday I read through this whole thread start to finish. I am new here to the ih8mud community and to the 80 club. I just got mine in November after losing my Sequoia in an accident in 10/23. I just couldn't stop reading, update after update. It is 1 AM now, and I am practically in tears for you. This was like a beautiful love story for living life and going on adventures. Spending time with friends and family. Having an amazing time all brought on by your love of Luna, wheeling, and adventure. This was a wild ride and I can't believe how much you've gotten to do with the 80. I can only hope my experiences can emulate this. So sorry for your loss and hope you get back to an 80 soon so you can continue your adventures.

Sorry to hear about the 80 Jason. I have had the 80 addiction the past few years. I am just getting a 96 on the road and enjoying it after driving a 94 for the past 1 1/2 years. Did you keep the truck? parting it out or saving the parts for the next one? I saw you just bought a new to you Luna.
Rob

Because of the updates you posted yesterday I read through this whole thread start to finish. I am new here to the ih8mud community and to the 80 club. I just got mine in November after losing my Sequoia in an accident in 10/23. I just couldn't stop reading, update after update. It is 1 AM now, and I am practically in tears for you. This was like a beautiful love story for living life and going on adventures. Spending time with friends and family. Having an amazing time all brought on by your love of Luna, wheeling, and adventure. This was a wild ride and I can't believe how much you've gotten to do with the 80. I can only hope my experiences can emulate this. So sorry for your loss and hope you get back to an 80 soon so you can continue your adventures.

Thanks. Guess I could just started with that last post and the end but the truck and the adventure of owning it deserved a quick conclusion. I’m just much better at getting out and using it than keeping up her social profile.

10/23 here too. A couple of us 80 series long time owners lost some nice rigs last year. Glad to see us all still around. Saw the truck you grabbed and the quick progress you’ve made. That next step looks pretty epic. Enjoy the ride! 🍻

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the 80 Jason. I have had the 80 addiction the past few years. I am just getting a 96 on the road and enjoying it after driving a 94 for the past 1 1/2 years. Did you keep the truck? parting it out or saving the parts for the next one? I saw you just bought a new to you Luna.
Rob
See that folks? First one takes flight 😂.

Thanks Rob. Yeah been fun watching you dial in your ride over the last couple 80s. I’ll admit the navy one had me tempted.

Yeah truck is home. Smart man would’ve bought Stephen’s but im not often accused of that. Would still consider but his 9yr old was beyond relieved “his” 80 is coming back. Not like it’s going far.

It’s past rebuilding so I’ll be making a list of viable goods and trying to get that up shortly. A few things spoken for but reach out if you have any specific needs. Can bring to RR.

Perhaps we start the bidding on that @MrsCDan beautified and @OGBeno ‘modified’ gas tank.

$1000 for a 1 of a kind piece of IH8MUD lore ha.

Last edited:
“Deep sigh” knowing this for too long now. I hope Katie and Pepper are no worse for the wear. Thank you for sharing the ending for your truck with the MUD community. The Queen is dead, long live the Queen. I hope that translates well from your 80 to the new…..?

Good times Jason. Sorry to see her go but it saved your life and that’s what these are made to do in the end as well-constructed mobility machines.

Over the years…. Very memorable experiences. Those are valuable.

IMG_4865.jpeg

IMG_2398.jpeg

IMG_4820.jpeg

One of the best builds and most capable driver/rig combos I’ve ever seen. Very sad to see the 80 that made me want an 80 go down. I’ve got many good memories of your rig, many, but nowhere the amount that you created with it. Take solace in the fact that even though it’s gone the memories and friends made because of that rig are still there.
IMG_8020.jpeg

Last edited:
Potts Mtn, Relic or Logans Run, and maybe donate it to these guys?

IMG_4047.jpeg

IMG_3252.jpeg

IMG_2259.jpeg

I almost shed a tear when I got the text that "she gone". It actually reminded me how you can bond with a vehicle. I started thinking about my 80 and all the trips, friends and fond memories that she has brought me.

Touch of grey might be gone but never forgotten. Now we turn the page to chapter two.... or three or four... where are you now in the book of Land Cruisers?!

Good times Jason. Sorry to see her go but it saved your life and that’s what these are made to do in the end as well-constructed mobility machines.

Over the years…. Very memorable experiences. Those are valuable.
💯 She did her job. Great times and invaluable experiences and friendships. Definitely sticking around for more. Have met some of the best people and friends through the LC network over last 20 yr.

Was just at Vann York parts counter to replace a TRD rim. Phil is my go to guy. We start chatting and guy calls in by phone. He knows me. Talk some more to Phil and he mentions Jacques his head parts guy previously. I said Toyota of Dallas? he’s like yeah. We chat some more and butch and heather come up. Customer walks up and is ONSc member. Salesman walks ups for his parts and we cross paths at concerts all the time.

Crazy how land cruisers network can really tighten that circle of friends and folks you know.
One of the best builds and most capable driver/rig combos I’ve ever seen. Very sad to see the 80 that made me want an 80 go down. I’ve got many good memories of your rig, many, but nowhere the amount that you created with it. Take solace in the fact that even though it’s gone the memories and friends made because of that rig are still there.

Definitely shared some epic adventures in that rig. You were along for a respectable cache of memories. But would be cool to catalogue the solo meanderings and miles somehow.

Good news is you still got one. Let’s go.
Potts Mtn, Relic or Logans Run, and maybe donate it to these guys?
I’ll be back. We will share a trail and bottle of bourbon afterwards soon! Soon amigo. Soon. The PIZZA curse was tested just this week. Not at fault. Deemed a random accident ;)
I almost shed a tear when I got the text that "she gone". It actually reminded me how you can bond with a vehicle. I started thinking about my 80 and all the trips, friends and fond memories that she has brought me.

Touch of grey might be gone but never forgotten. Now we turn the page to chapter two.... or three or four... where are you now in the book of Land Cruisers?!
True story. I didn’t realize how much I had mentally invested in that relationship until it was over. A blow for sure but climbing back in the saddle. I guess if we skim over the 40/55s parts rigs we can say we’ve started chapter five. Can’t express enough how great it’s been to have you sharing the journey from start.

Chapter 5 might have taken some cues from your experience again; I picked up a 200 last week. Time to sample the bougie cruiser life and see if it’s for me. Looking for to our next adventure. 🍻

Damn man. I just found out. This one definitely hurts. This has been one of my absolute favorite cruisers of the club. We’ve had a lot of good off roading trips in this rig. Throw back to 2013.

IMG_9233.jpeg

IMG_9234.jpeg

IMG_9235.jpeg

IMG_9236.jpeg

IMG_9237.jpeg

Damn man. I just found out. This one definitely hurts. This has been one of my absolute favorite cruisers of the club. We’ve had a lot of good off roading trips in this rig. Throw back to 2013.

View attachment 3604470

View attachment 3604471

View attachment 3604472

View attachment 3604473

View attachment 3604474
LOL ….” Runs with white fender” era
And sequoia wheels. And arb #3

Thanks John. That truck will always be missed. LOTS of good times poking down unknown roads and some great off road trails as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom