A Tale of Two Roof Racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me start with I am not affiliated with either company and the following are my observations and thoughts between the two racks. Do your own research, make your own choices.

Prinsu Roof Rack
With that out of the way, I did my research and landed on a Prinsu roof rack for my 1994 80 series. I waited until Black-Friday / Cyber Monday and ordered one with a 15% discount. It took several weeks for the rack to arrive and it was like Christmas when it arrived.

The Prinsu rack is solid gear and well executed except for how it connects to the gutters.

I assembled the rack according to the semi-detailed directions and had a buddy help me get it on to the roof. The directions are limited on where to place the rack fore and aft on the truck as the side rails do not run the full-length of the gutters.

Once I settled on a location, I began securing the rack to the gutters and that’s where my troubles came from. The j-clips provided with the rack did not conform to the gutter profile on my truck and the connection to the gutters was not secure. The clips would pop off the gutter when I pulled on them. When I didn’t pull on them and drove a mile or two around my neighborhood on paved roads, 3 or 4 of the 8 clips would be off the gutter entirely.

Several calls and emails exchanges with the customer support team at Prinsu was less than satisfactory as the initial rep blamed the truck.

I called again after detailed documentation of the issues I was encountering and spoke with Kenny Bowcutt with CBI Off Road Fabrication, the parent company of Prinsu and he was very helpful as we tried several alterations to get the rack secure to the truck.

After many hours of futzing with the rack, it came off and sent back to Prinsu. From the outset Kenny wanted me to be happy and kept to his word along the way of sticking with me. He paid for the return shipping back to Prinsu. I received a refund for the rack excluding the original shipping charges.

In the end the Prinsu experience cost me $235 of original shipping charges and many hours of work.

Bowfin Cruisers Roof Rack
As soon as I had the shipping label for the return of the Prinsu I ordered the Bowfin Cruisers rack. Took a couple weeks to arrive and it did this past weekend.

Assembly was quick and easy, just like the Prinsu. Many similarities in the racks, more on this later. Instructions from Bowfin are limited and concise. 1 page, no pictures. Given I had taken the Prinsu a part 3 or 4 times, assembly was quick.

I did have an issue with a mis-labeled side rail that caused some issues but I quickly got it sorted.

The fore and aft location was not an issue here as the side rails for the Bowfin are longer and the expectation is the second from the front gutter mount is located at the b-pillar.

Once on to the roof the Bowfin gutter mounts are a work of art and engineering. Solid, over-built and secure. The rack was secured within an hour of being on the roof.

I kept the basket attachment from the Prinsu and added that to the Bowfin.

Design
The design of the racks is nearly identical, both have a long gutter rail mounts, both utilize t-rails for the cross-members. The primary differences are with the style of t-rail, the length of the side rails and manner of securing the rack to the gutters.

The t-rails attach slightly different, the Prinsu has a couple of washers and the bolt goes thru the side rail into the threaded t-rail. The Bowfin uses a double washer approach which I liked better, assembly is a little faster with this approach too.

+ to Bowfin

20200125_132539.jpg

Fabrication
Fabrication of the side rails is exceptional. No quality issues for either. The finish on the Bowfin is better than the Prinsu, not in coverage but in durability. The Prinsu finish is not as durable as the Bowfin.

+ Bowfin

T-Rails
The t-rails are slightly different, the Prinsu rails have a slightly wider channel and have an opening to slide the bolt into the rail. The Bowfin relies on t-bolts.

+ Prinsu

Prinsu rail
20200125_132504.jpg

Bowfin Rail
20200125_132513.jpg

Left - Prinsu | Right Bowfin
20200125_131859.jpg

Gutter Mounts

The Prinsu j-hooks are not very robust and will deform as will the soft bolts provided. The Prinsu j-hooks did not conform remotely to my gutters. I have read posts from Prinsu owners where they had to alter the profile of the j-hook to conform to their vehicles. It seems like I am not alone in this area.

The Bowfin mounts are great. Very robust and they way the latch on to the gutter and then secure with a thru-bolt gives a great deal of confidence.

++ Bowfin

Prinsu J-hook gutter attachment
20191223_092723.jpg

Bowfin latch mount
20200125_132548.jpg

Cost & Shipping

The costs are close, with the Prinsu being expensive and the Bowfin more. Not a huge delta, but enough you will want to compare. However, the big difference here is the Prinsu cost $235 to ship to Texas and the Bowfin was $90. When you add shipping, the cost is much closer between the two.

Push

Good post. 👍
I'm still on the fence about a rack, as it increases the likelihood of putting weight up high.

No disagreement about the gutter attachments being better on the Bowfin. It's a nice rack. I have had my Prinsu rack for 4 years now with lots of use, lots of miles, lots of roof loads, lots of fast offroad driving and have never had an issue with the Prinsu gutter clamps coming loose or slipping off the gutter. I've noticed that many prinsu owners over-tighten the gutter clamps which deforms the j-hooks and makes it easier for them to slip off the gutter. Just getting them snug is more than enough. Mine have held securely, and the rack has never moved.

Not trying to convince anybody to get one over the other, just sharing my experience and observations. I think whichever rack is chosen will make the buyer happy.
IMG_7291 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

No disagreement about the gutter attachments being better on the Bowfin. It's a nice rack. I have had my Prinsu rack for 4 years now with lots of use, lots of miles, lots of roof loads, lots of fast offroad driving and have never had an issue with the Prinsu gutter clamps coming loose or slipping off the gutter. I've noticed that many prinsu owners over-tighten the gutter clamps which deforms the j-hooks and makes it easier for them to slip off the gutter. Just getting them snug is more than enough. Mine have held securely, and the rack has never moved.

Not trying to convince anybody to get one over the other, just sharing my experience and observations. I think whichever rack is chosen will make the buyer happy.
IMG_7291 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Adam, appreciate the counterpoint to my experience.

In the for whatever it's worth category, I tried two different sets of the j-clips with different degrees of tightening, both with the same results. The issue for me was getting the hooks close to the gutters, most of the time just a small bit of the j-hook made contact with the gutter. The pictures show my challenge.

Nice looking rig!

Last edited:
Thanks for the write-up. Been looking at roof racks for a bit now and was debating between the two listed above. Great info!

I have a Prinsu rack as well. I agree with you on the j hooks, However I made them work and have had no trouble with them holding the rack to the gutter. I am impressed with the Bowfin latches though. Do you think they could be swapped out if I was to get a set from Bowfin?

I have a Prinsu rack as well. I agree with you on the j hooks, However I made them work and have had no trouble with them holding the rack to the gutter. I am impressed with the Bowfin latches though. Do you think they could be swapped out if I was to get a set from Bowfin?
The racks are remarkably similar and expect the latches could be retrofitted to your rack.

I have no experience with Prinsu. However I did purchase the Bowfin.

It took about an hour to put together and was packed well. (If it can survive my delivery drivers its bullet proof)

Once up on the roof, one of the clamps stripped loose. The owner immediately replied to my DM and sent another.

Per him it has only happened a couple times. Didn't bother me as his customer service was amazing.

Pic below.

386B3A6D-9430-40E0-A993-2B4DA1836CA4.jpeg

For you guys with the older Prinsu gutter mounts, they will provide you the new style under warranty. Way nicer. The clamp design was overhauled toward the end of ‘22.

I got the new clamps and they are much beefier but they still aren't that great of a design. They actually take quite a long time to mount up. There were no instructions that came with them which can be not so great. There are 3 different parts that bolt to the side of the rack: they are labeled 'R' 'F' and 'M' ( I think that was how it was) . 1 for the front, 1 for the rear and 3 for the middle. I think they could have combined the design of the old ones and the new ones and made it a lot stronger with a quicker installation.

For you guys with the older Prinsu gutter mounts, they will provide you the new style under warranty. Way nicer. The clamp design was overhauled toward the end of ‘22.
This is great news! How does one go about getting the exchange?

Well crap! I bought a prinsu on 4th of July weekend and haven't installed it yet. Nice to know I'm looking at frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom