A/T OIL TEMP light won't go off (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick update. Drained and refilled ATF. Rechecked levels three times - twice 'hot' after highway runs, once 'cold' in the morning. Buddy sourced maybe the last A/T temp sensor in Canada. Burnt out sensor was stuck in good so, to avoid turning my Landcruiser into a lawn ornament, headed over to Juan's Auto to have the new sensor installed. All done with new fluids and A/T Oil Light warning light gone.

PXL_20220423_011455211~2.jpg

Quick update. Drained and refilled ATF. Rechecked levels three times - twice 'hot' after highway runs, once 'cold' in the morning. Buddy sourced maybe the last A/T temp sensor in Canada. Burnt out sensor was stuck in good so, to avoid turning my Landcruiser into a lawn ornament, headed over to Juan's Auto to have the new sensor installed. All done with new fluids and A/T Oil Light warning light gone.

View attachment 3013650

That's why you get them from partsouq.

1653037264918.png

worthless light IMO, just like the factory coolant gauge.

No idea why Toyota made the temp setting this high. Perhaps it's because it's measuring from the outflow to the cooler, and the oil in the pan should be a bit lower than that temp.

At least there is a mod to the coolant temp gauge we have now that works great.

Regards

Dave

richmondbob said: "Drained and refilled ATF."

Do you mean drained the transmission oil pan once and refilled with a few quarts of ATF, or was a complete fluid exchange done??

richmondbob said: "Drained and refilled ATF."

Do you mean drained the transmission oil pan once and refilled with a few quarts of ATF, or was a complete fluid exchange done??
Oil was cooked so drained it dry before refilling.

Unfortunately draining the transmission sump pan and refilling does not change all the oil, you should do it again as the valve chest will have held back some oil and the torque converter a whole lot more.

Regards

Dave

View attachment 3013650
@richmondbob Is this the correct sensor for the A343 Transmission? Having a tough time finding the right parts diagram for this sensor!

I feel your pain. This was for my '97 with A343.
Thanks. This thread helped me a lot. I ended up with small amounts of corrosion on the sensor terminals. I think that was messing with the resistance and triggering the light. I pulled the sensor, cleaned the terminals with a toothpick on the sensor and plug, and whammo - problem solved! I’ll get some dielectric grease and add it to this to hopefully give me another 25+ years. 😎

@richmondbob did you ever get this figured out? I have the A/T OIL TEMP (and CEL) lights on even when starting the car for the first time on a 36 degree morning.

I'm guessing its either my sensor or something else in the circuit since both lights go away once the car is running

Yes that is what I mean - key in On position (engine not running) and the A/T OIL TEMP and CEL light are both on (after the car car been cold for 8+ hours, in 36 degree weather).

Once I turn on the engine, both lights go away - to me that sounds like a circuit or sensor issue no?

I haven't thought about it for a while, but isn't that normal, along with maybe a few other dash lights?
Pretty sure it's normal for a 90's Toyota truck. I just tried it with my 2nd gen 4Runner and most of the lights came on, including those two.

I haven't thought about it for a while, but isn't that normal, along with maybe a few other dash lights?
Normal. The alternator is not charging without the engine running. Part of the "chrismas tree lights".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom