Closing this thread out (for now). On a drive today at 85F ambient and after cleaning the evaporator and installing cabin air filters, I'm getting 45-50F at the center vent, a
35-40 degree differential. That's really what counts, and that's a normally functioning system by most measures.
I'm also putting automotive A/C in the same box as crop circles and missing socks in the laundry: it's a Thing That Exists, but don't ask too many questions - they will just lead to more questions. Example: the air vent temp tested a little
lower when idling and stationary than when moving at 40mph
Thanks for all the discussion which led me to learn that:
a) my evaporator box was full of debris,
b) my 99 can be 'upgraded' to have cabin air filters (by simply installing them),
c) I have a condenser cooling fan, which
possibly only shipped with rear A/C-equipped trucks in 99.
'Mud is amazing as always.