A/C Compressor Seal Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a 4Runner from TX over the weekend. The PO told me I needed to recharge my '87s A/C system with R12 and it'd be good to go. Bought R12a on Amazon and went to work.

The system held pressure but I could hear some hissing. A/C finally blew cold, but wasn't freezing as I was expecting. Then saw some splatter on the battery and let it rest for the night.

The next morning this was below the Compressor:
IMG_1381.JPG

Looks like a seal leak in the front of the Compressor? Here is the splatter:
IMG_1382.JPG

And the Compressor itself:
IMG_1387.JPG

Is this an easy fix or do I have to spend $200-300 on a new Compressor?

I'm thinking of doing a 3.4L swap and a few more things like this could expedite my swap timeline.

4Runner on its way from TX to AL last Saturday (it decided to ask for a new alternator at 11pm in central TX...)
IMG_1315.JPG

A full gasket and shaft seal kit will run you 30-40 bucks and any tools you may need to do the rebuild. Might be the front shaft seal.

Maybe see if you can get a used one cheap from a pick and pull. If your 3.4 swap is a way off, maybe get a reman compressor.

I am getting ready to do the R134 conversion on mine in a few weeks, should be fun.:doh:

I've never had luck replacing that front shaft seal, very easy to damaged with out the proper seal installer tool.

phrogger has some good advice...

I've never had luck replacing that front shaft seal, very easy to damaged with out the proper seal installer tool.

phrogger has some good advice...
Sounds like I need to put a rush on the 3.4L swap instead. I was looking for a reason to start it anyway!

I tried to replace that seal on mine years ago, it was difficult to get out, I seem to remember you need special snap ring pliers. Then it still leaked. Ended up ripping all the AC out. I would try to find a boneyard compressor if I were you.

Nice truck.

I tried to replace that seal on mine years ago, it was difficult to get out, I seem to remember you need special snap ring pliers. Then it still leaked. Ended up ripping all the AC out. I would try to find a boneyard compressor if I were you.

Nice truck.
Probably a wise suggestion. Thanks!

Ok, I found a replacement A/C Compressor (remanu unit with 1-yr warranty). Is the swap as straight-forward as I could hope? Unbolt old compressor and lines. Remove Fan Shroud (hopefully not radiator) and pull the old one out. Put new one in. Recharge with R-12 (or alternative). Put everything back and good to go? Or am I missing the complexity?

If you open the system, it is my understanding you should replace the dryer canister. You'll also need to replace all the O-rings on the connections you open. System needs to be evacuated before adding refrigerant.

If you open the system, it is my understanding you should replace the dryer canister. You'll also need to replace all the O-rings on the connections you open. System needs to be evacuated before adding refrigerant.
Surely someone makes a kit for all of this? I've got an air compressor - can I somehow use it to evacuate the system and make sure there is now water in there or do I need to spend $$$ on special A/C tools?

You don't need compressed air, you need vacuum. And at least a set of gauges. You'll also need to convert the compressor ports to R134a. And add ester oil. And...

Or just take to a place that does AC work. That's what I did.

I took all of yhe A/c components apart, cleaned the condenser and line with brake clean and compressed air cleaned the AC compressor and took all the o rings down to Napa and bought new ones. Currently doing it to an 86 f250 as well. After that I take it down to my local AC shop have them vacuum it and test it for leaks and they refill it for about $400.

I took all of yhe A/c components apart, cleaned the condenser and line with brake clean and compressed air cleaned the AC compressor and took all the o rings down to Napa and bought new ones. Currently doing it to an 86 f250 as well. After that I take it down to my local AC shop have them vacuum it and test it for leaks and they refill it for about $400.
$40 or $400?

I know autozone loans out vacuum pumps and gauges if you want to DIY...

$400. That was including a special oil, vacuuming for a couple hours and fixing one or two leaks.

$40 or $400?

I don't think an A/C shop will unlock the doors for $40. The reality of it is that they are licensed with the EPA and have a shop full of very specialized tools and the price reflects this. Having said that I have about $200 total into Harbor Freight manifold/gages and their 2 stage vacuum pump. But I also have 6 or 7 mobile A/C systems around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom