99 + ARB + Deer + 75mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hit a deer today. Didnt see it until I hit it. Surprisingly completely twisted the ARB Damage on cruiser from ARB hitting it. It was a big doe though. I cant imagine the damage without the ARB
photo.jpg
photo (2).jpg
photo (1).jpg

You can still drive the car. Without the bar you couldn't.

What did it feel like on impact? Did you drive over it then? And as the previous poster said, your car probably would've been totaled.

another showing the top light mount pushed into hood. It was a hard hit. Didnt go under car. I cant tell theres anything wrong driving it.
photo (3).jpg

Actually it didnt feel hard. Deer was flat out angled toward me. It sort of stayed in grill then shot out onto the highway after I hit the brakes. Poor bugger never even kicked.

The bumper twisted upwards. The mounts look rock solid. They did not bend.

The slee bumper wouldnt have protected against a deer at all would it? I imaging a deer would go over the top of it. This deer was big it mostly hit above the bumper height. Its head took out my Hella.

Yea, I do feel bad for the Doe.

Klaus,

The slee bumper doesn't even offer any protection for the grill/hood/lights. It seems almost certain that it would not have protected the cruiser better. I think you're expecting too much out of a bumper if you impact a still object at 75 mph and are disappointed to find you've sustained some damage.

Comparing the ARB and Slee is apples and oranges. The bumper did it's job, the occupants were able to drive home. Hitting a deer, even a small one, is still hitting a couple hundred pounds and there is a huge amount of energy involved in that. Glad you're okay and it didn't flip up into the windshield.

I'm mildly surprised the airbags didn't deploy at 75mph.

Why would they, they're activated based on deceleration of the whole vehicle, and very sudden decel at that. The sensor is under the center console. There's no contacts in the bumper that you can hit with a baseball bat and make the airbags go off.

I hit an 8 point Friday night awhile traveling about 30 mph. Zero damage. Deer did runoff, so impact wasn't terribly severe. Still,I was glad bumper was I'm place.

ARB bumpers are air bag compatible per their website. Sucks to think that if you're traveling 70+mph and hitting a solid object (deer, car, tree, etc..) without hitting the brakes first, your air bags won't deploy. Hmm

Airbag deployment at that speed would have made it much worse. Most likely lose control then much worse damage. It worked like it should have.

if I hit a tree at 75, I likely wouldnt be typing this now. A deer is far from a solid object. It wasnt a hard impact. no way airbags go off.

ARB bumpers are air bag compatible per their website. Sucks to think that if you're traveling 70+mph and hitting a solid object (deer, car, tree, etc..) without hitting the brakes first, your air bags won't deploy. Hmm

Again, it's not brake dependent. There's a sensor in the middle of the vehicle that detects velocity and sudden negative changes to that, amongst a few other things. The damage to the bumper isn't surprising considering the mass of the object. The airbags not going off isn't either taking into account the truck probably didn't change speed much at all at the impact. There was someone in the 80 section that hit a stationary construction crane on the highway doing 75 in an ARB'd 80 series. They lived, airbags worked, truck was demolished.

The 80 series bumpers had the sticker and it was merely because ARB didn't shell out the pile of money required for crash testing that bumper and getting it certified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom