'98 Engine Noise Diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes , we went from a 90k service on the lx470 ,which was all the fluids replaced ,oil ,diffs ,trans, brake ,coolant,transfer,t-belt,drivebelt,wipers , rotate ballance, and alignment ,throttle bdy svc ,valve adjustment , and a computer relearn , Dumbed down to a lof rotate and a visual/audible inspection . just for the sake of cost .being competitive with the other dealers .

Would you agree we should all physically inspect gap at some mileage and what would a good mileage point be in your opinion?

90k, 180K or 270K mile with T-belt job makes perfect senses to me. But I'm more interested in what your experience with the 2UZ-fe has shown to be best practice.

at 180k for sure would be great . 90k didnt see many shims out mbe 1 or 2 per car and not far enough out to justify pulling cams

Glad to hear 180K.

I've notice my MPG dropping over the years. I'm very good at maintaining and have investigated even viscosity of oils & lubes effect on MPG. I'm down to three possible issues that could account for the bulk of this drop. Valve gap has always been one I've suspected, and is now at the top of my list.

Thanks again for your input @fj55-100.

@fj55-100 that means if cam shaft bearing caps clearance is out of spec replace cam shaft or possibly bearing caps & head. Were/do the shops inspect with Plastigage when caps pulled? Do you ever find the need to replace any of this stuff?

Last edited:
I see the FSM references inspecting the camshaft bearing and camshaft journal oil clearance, but I don't see any part numbers for bearings.
The FSM does say that if damage is identified, replace the bearing cap and head as a set.

the bearing caps are installed on the head numbered for location , then line bored to the final dimension, they are essentially part of the head , , if one becomes damaged you must replace the head ,as they are matched to that location only and on that head only ,. they are usually damaged from oil starvation .. lack of proper service . if i have a 4.7 apart today i will provide pictures

Pictures are always cool.:popcorn:

Have you seen replace necessary on a reasonable PM'd 100 before? If so what kind of mileage?

caps are numbered , and arrow to show direction , no bearing
20170131_094150.jpg

Good stuff. What is mileage on this one @fj55-100. Is that normal buidup or is my screen picture off.

Interesting original check is at 90k. That would help those valve cover bolts from getting stuck and broken in the salt climates. Probably good advice for us all to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom