For Sale 97,hdt diesel, 5 speed manual, locked, dream cruiser, oregon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been putting off selling my 80 for awhile. I really love the truck and its super handy, but I'm really starting to feel the need for a full size truck or newer 200 series cruiser. I'm in the middle of some big construction projects and I need a little more towing capacity.
Anyhow I bought the truck off of Mud, heres the original add: For Sale - 97 diesel hd-t 5 speed part time 4x locked

Before I bought the truck, the previous owner decided not to add the oem subtank because we both felt it was unnecessary. He did add an upgraded larger turbo and intercooler system though. Which made the truck even more fun to drive.
I have done the following:
slee upgraded wiring harness
led spotlights on bumper
warn winch
dynamat most of the interior
new speakers throughout
custom 8'' subwoofer in rear i built so no cargo space is lost
alpine carplay double din with reverse cam
two amplifiers
white knuckle step sliders
did a little slee spacer in the front to even out the stance
couple new bushings on the control arms
wits end lock box in center console
put seat heaters in the front seats controlled by some oem switches i got out of a lexus
prob some more things I'm forgetting.

I paid $25,750 for the truck because the previous owner did a fair amount of work to it before selling it to me and the quality of his work was very good and honest.
I'm putting it up for $28,000 considering the amount of fun stuff I've put into it. It cost a fair amount and was a lot of labor.
It's hands down the most fun land cruiser I've driven. I drove a some other diesel conversions before this one and was unimpressed. I test drove this almost on a whim and it blew me away.
I live on the central oregon coast, theres a possibility I might be able to deliver it to the right buyer. After I bought this truck I sold my lx450 to a Mud guy in Arizona. I drove it down there and flew back and it worked out fine. I'm also very busy so thats up in the air.
Has 262,000 miles on the body.

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

all that change in the center console will get your window broken around here. nice truck!

Crazy I never even think about the change. I suppose I’m usually parked in the woods or something. It’s a fairly rural area, I’ve never been broken into.

6A256A83-0A7B-494A-A623-BEE89171A1C4.jpeg

Custom volume control knobs for stereo and subwoofer. I like the tech of new double din screens, but hate the distracting volume controls. These knobs are much easier to adjust volume with while keeping your eyes on the road.
5F1A043E-78C4-4B9C-8656-7315C5EB12A9.jpeg

Always on USB ports I wired in. Super handy for working or camping to charge stuff while the truck isn’t on.

Do all the power accessories work, like the power windows, locks, seats?

Is there any type of 3rd row or jump seats for this? I have a lower mileage expo build 200 i would consider trading, for the right cash. I just like the styling of the 80 series and always wanted a diesel like this....

very cool 80. and much cheaper than pursuing a conversion.

is the upgraded turbo and intercooler from the 1HDT-FTE?

what kind of mileage do you get? any issues going 80mph?

trailer wiring 12V?

was the TJM lift just their coil springs, or did it have anything else changed?

i, too would be looking for a third row seat set. i'm in Texas but i would have to call the DMV to ask about having zero emissions stuff, when the truck was originally sold with emissions. some places here are sticklers about that.

@tominboise, yes all the power windows, locks, seats, power antennae etc work. The only electrical gremlin i haven’t figured out is the rear driver door courtesy light doesn’t work.

@hatleye
I don’t have the 3rd row jump seats. They are pretty easy to find on craiglslist though, a lot of guys yank them out and sell them cheap. Let me know the details on your 200 and how much cash you would want along with a trade.
The 80 styling is pretty hard to beat. It’s a pretty great classic look.

@texfredbastiat
I’m not sure about the turbo and intercooler. I believe it was a Canadian knockoff of an Australian safari turbo upgrade? Not sure though it was a few years back lynchmob was explaining it all to me. I want to say it’s not a Toyota one though.
I don’t do a lot of long road trips, and a fair amount of my time is doodling around my property doing projects. That kind of driving I get about 16-17 mpg. I’ve seen 19 mpg before on tanks where I did some longer hwy drives.
I’ve never been close to 80mph, I’m in kind of a hilly coastal area in Oregon where the limit on the freeway is 65mph. It’s a five speed, but if I was in the desert or a place where I was doing high speeds I would prob slap some 35” tires on it.
Yes it’s got trailer wiring I pull firewood trailer and stuff all the time.
I believe the lift is just coil springs, it’s not a huge lift or anything.

I would also consider a trade straight across, or cash on my or your end for a bmw x5 diesel... Never had one, but a buddy of mine has one and I kinda like it.

No bites? You guys think my asking price is to high? Or is this just a very limited niche market?

I agree with below and also consider some factors, engine should be the 1hdfte for 97, its also impossible to bring to California, where as a JDM truck could be. It's a great rig that I would love to own but...
Price is high, as the 25 years US import rule is making the supply of these units easier to get, just look at the number of R32 GTRs in the market.

No bites? You guys think my asking price is to high? Or is this just a very limited niche market?

I was stalking a few 5speeds that languished for sale on the east coast in the last 6mo. Both @ $17500 forever.....then one dropped to 14,500 and the seller said I could get it for $13500. needless to say i passed - mainly because I just don’t see paying that much of a premium for sub 20mpg diesel. funny enough the seller said he was selling it and picking up one with 1fz with half the miles and half the price. niche market makes this is tough sale over $17k unless mileage is real low.

It’s a great rig but the premium prices are a holdover from the days when there were less alternatives

I was stalking a few 5speeds that languished for sale on the east coast in the last 6mo. Both @ $17500 forever.....then one dropped to 14,500 and the seller said I could get it for $13500. needless to say i passed - mainly because I just don’t see paying that much of a premium for sub 20mpg diesel. funny enough the seller said he was selling it and picking up one with 1fz with half the miles and half the price. niche market makes this is tough sale over $17k unless mileage is real low.

It’s a great rig but the premium prices are a holdover from the days when there were less alternatives

Cherokees and Explorers are cheap rigs LC's not. For the few that actually know and have had the pleasure of owning a lhd 1HDT 5 speed cruiser there is no comparison to the gaz guzzling soccer mom FJ/FZJ80 you guys got here.I have driven 80 series most of my life but after living a few years in the US and having owned a few FJ and FZJ80's I looked for alternatives.

28K is not for everyone and it might take a while to find the right buyer but the lhd 1HDT/5 speed can't be compared with the mostly rhd 1hdt/auto vs and especially not with the domestic models.Just look at the market in Aus where they sold both models at the same time the second hand diesel trucks are in much higher demand at premium prices over the sometimes in better condition gassers (they where used as grocery getters )

Just my 2 cents

Price is high, as the 25 years US import rule is making the supply of these units easier to get, just look at the number of R32 GTRs in the market.

I am constantly looking all over the globe for lhd Diesel Cruisers and clean 80's in Europe are selling these days around 20 to 25K unless they have a million miles.

The days of finding a cheap nice lhd diesel 80 with low miles for cheap are gone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom