96 LT1 into my 86 yota pickup! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone I hope I'm posting this in the right place, as the title says I'm going to be tackling a V8 swap in the coming months. My father in law gave me a 96 LT1 Corvette motor that has 22,000 miles on it and put down close to 400hp on the dyno right before pulling it. So a little background on my pickup it's an 86 that I am currently in the process of putting FJ80 front and rear axles under with Trail gear 4in Heavy duty leaf springs so the 460lb motor will not be an issue as far as weight goes. I'm looking for help if anyone has any idea what trans and T-case I should put behind this thing? I'd like to keep it an auto trans and maybe stock t-case but am not sure where to look as far as conversion hardware goes. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I think the take-away here is since you are going to be running the offset 80-series rear axle, the offset 80-series transfer case will be preferred.

I think the take-away here is since you are going to be running the offset 80-series rear axle, the offset 80-series transfer case will be preferred.
Alright I misspoke, the T-case out of the 80 series will not work and here's why- I'm already flipping my rear semi float 80 axle 180° to put the offset drive shaft on the driver side to miss my fuel tank. I'm going to need a conversion adapter to get my stock t-case to work with that GM transmission any ideas?

Hey everyone I'm Back looking for some info on my build I have been working on, I am In the process of putting FJ80 front and rear axles underneath my 86 Toyota pick up. The original plan was just doing a simple SAS swap However I have found myself wanting more power instead of this 22re and it just so happened that i had a LT1 V8 Corvette motor fall into my lap so I have begun piling parts up for the V8 swap now. Here's where my question starts, I have already bought 529 gears for my axles and am starting to worry that the FJ80's will not be able to handle the power produced from the V8, I'm Also worried I may have Wasted my money on these 529 gears and thinking I should have got something more along the lines of 4.56's? Hoping the 5.29s will still be a good combo tho because they were $800.... TIA

It depends on how you drive. If you're easy on the throttle, the 80 series stuff you've got with upgraded cromo axles will be fine.
If you're heavy on the throttle, sell the 80 series stuff and go with 1 tons.

Just my 2 cents.

I hear what you are saying, the V8 will have plenty of power to push taller gears. 4.56 and 4.88 are supposed to be stronger than 5.29, it's my understanding the pinion gets a bit small and can shear.

Like Tigerstripe says ^^^, it's all about how you use the skinny pedal.

Hey everyone I'm going to need to swap my T-case to a RF1-A for this build and I just need to make sure that's what this is. I know it says it is but I want to be 100% sure it is before I buy it haha

20190416_180544.jpg

20190416_180526.jpg

Sure looks like it to me.

Awesome any idea on the difficulty level to convert this to a Top shift instead of the forward shift?

Well I'm throwing yet another twist at you all!! After doing extensive research on everything it looks like a RF1-A T-case will be to weak for my comfort behind the V8. I am now searching for a Dana 300 T-case, I almost hit the "buy it now" button on the RF1-A sure glad I read up a little more before I did! Sorry everyone bare with me here I'll get it together haha

Take a look at an Atlas II while you're at it. After you've sourced a Dana 300, rebuilt it, done all of the upgrades and added a LoMax gear set, you're pretty close to Atlas II money.

You might also look at an NP203-NP205 setup. NP203 GRB (2:1) with an NP205 (1.99:1) gives you two low range ratios to choose from and is ridiculously skookum.

Take a look at an Atlas II while you're at it. After you've sourced a Dana 300, rebuilt it, done all of the upgrades and added a LoMax gear set, you're pretty close to Atlas II money.

You might also look at an NP203-NP205 setup. NP203 GRB (2:1) with an NP205 (1.99:1) gives you two low range ratios to choose from and is ridiculously skookum.
Doing some research on those transfer cases, I'm going to try and tighten up the budget a little tho so I think I'll be sticking with a Dana 300 and twin stick it, anyone have any experience with the ones from powertrain products? Looks like I can get one for about $1,000

Doing some research on those transfer cases, I'm going to try and tighten up the budget a little tho so I think I'll be sticking with a Dana 300 and twin stick it, anyone have any experience with the ones from powertrain products? Looks like I can get one for about $1,000

Do you already have a Dana300 core t-case to send them?

Well as it turned out my buddy did not have a Dana 300 for me to send as a core however a Dana 20 just fell into my lap that I got for $150 so I figured I'll get a rebuild kit for $200 with a twin stick kit as well and be done with it. From what I can tell there is no real difference between the Dana 20 and Dana 300 aside from the lower gear the Dana 300 has so I figured my 5.29 axle gears will probably make it about the same. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom