SOLD 96 / FZJ80 / NW Colorado - Price Drop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Have a Triple Locked 80 that I need to clear from my parking area to make room for another 80 that should be here next month.

This is the first 80 that I've owned, even though I have some time behind an FJ80.

Found this one on Craigslist here in Colorado. Rust free, and in good condition. I fell into another 80 (which is still being built/put together) shortly after buying this one, otherwise I'd be keeping it.

It's not perfect, and not a collector grade vehicle by any means, but being rust free and triple locked, will still makes it a good base to build your overland or rock crawler dream rig.

Here's the details from the previous owner. Around the time this vehicle turned 200K miles, and prior to PO taking delivery, it was taken to Slee Offroad in Golden Colorado and had a full check over, where they replaced all the belt's and hoses under the hood. They also installed a 2-1/2" OME lift kit, and OEM dual battery tray, with the Slee manufactured washer bottle relocation kit. Previous owner was going to turn this into an Overland rig, but this is where they stopped. There's a wire running from the second battery to a solenoid, but it's disconnected at that point. Cable was also run to the rear bumper for something planned?, and the connector is still mounted to the rear bumper, but the cable has been removed.

The oil and oil filter was changed prior to me taking delivery with Mobile 1 5W-30, along with the "cleanable" K&N air filter being cleaned.

Like I said, the vehicle is not perfect, but is mechanically sound.

I'm not aware of the head gasket ever being replaced, and neither was the previous owner, as I asked the question.

Previous owner did reach out to Slee if he could get records of when the vehicle came through their shop, but hasn't received anything back yet.

Here's what I can tell you;

Original color was Night Shadow Pearl (Blue). To my non-expert opinion, it was not repainted, but has heavy paint fade and the clear coat is pretty much gone from the hood and roof. That doesn't mean it wasn't repainted, and may have been with a tint change in color if repainted? You be the judge, sold as is, where is.

Driver's side door was replaced sometime in the past. Repainted (original door color was red), so that placard on the door showing the VIN, paint color code, etc. doesn't exist anymore.

Right side sliding rear window was replaced sometime in the past with a solid piece like what the Poverty Pack had.

Third row seats are gone, don't have them.

Factory roof rack removed sometime in the past, and holes filled in with RTV (Silicone), don't have them.

Current roof rack and cargo pod comes with the vehicle, but the lock cylinder is broken. You can buy a replacement from most hardware stores. Brand of rack and cargo pod is unknown?

Power antenna is broken off (physically). I have not tried to see if any of the antenna will protrude up if operated.

All windows operate, but the front passenger side is slow when it's cold.

Rear electric door lock is intermittent to non operational according to the PO, and haven't had time to mess with it. Manually it still works I'm told.

Rear center brake light housing is in piece's in the back. Haven't had time to mess with it.

Typical for 25+ year old vehicle small rub marks, divots, pen stripping, etc. There is a small dent in the rear hatch, that will be identified in the pictures.

Tires are in real good shape, lots of tread life, and are siped. Amazing how well They do on hard packed snow and ice. They are Falkin Rocky Mountain AT in 265 size. The one picture shown is from the Previous owner with oversized tires, which he said made it a dog. He took them off and replaced with current tires.

Inside the factory cloth seats are in good shape, and the foam is still firm, but the left bolster on the driver's seat is gone, but not really noticable when sitting in it.

Carpet is in fair condition, and floor mats are random from Lexus and/or other vehicles.

Dash pad is not cracked, but typical stuff like drivers side door pad just below window is cracked. Bass and Midrange knobs are missing from the OEM radio which still works, but I haven't tried the CD player. There is some kind of ball mount for iPod or cell phone mounted to the center console forward of the shifter.

Three keys (non original) and one key fob remote comes with the vehicle.

Some of the outside plastic and rubber coated trim around the windows is becoming brittle and cracked from the high altitude Colorado sun.

The only rust is the typical exhaust system surface rust, and a couple brackets under the hood. Otherwise it's amazing how rust free the body and frame are.

Typical D light burnt out on the dash, and the triple lock indicators do operate as normal.

Clean Colorado title in hand, but do not have it insured or registered currently. Test drives can be done on my private subdivision snow packed roads. My schedule for showing the vehicle is quite flexible, just need maybe a day or two coordination.

Price is $13K firm $12K to the Mud community before I advertise elsewhere.

I also have a rebuilt 96 1FZ short block and head assembly (just over 200K before rebuild) that I picked up shortly after buying this rig to have a spare. It's currently in Texas if the buyer of this vehicle is interested.

If you need some detailed pictures, please PM me with your cell number as trying to post or email pictures is agonizingly slow for me to do with poor bandwidth.

Screenshot_20221219-112833.png
Screenshot_20221219-112704.png
Screenshot_20221219-112631.png
Screenshot_20221219-112600.png
81458.jpeg

Last edited:
In post #17 of this thread New (for me) 80-series - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-for-me-80-series.1303346/ you stated you paid $12.5k for it and that’s what you’re selling it for. I get that you changed your mind and went back and edited your post. Your cruiser, you sell it for what you want.

Just don’t act like you’re doing the “mud community” a favor by attempting to sell your cruiser for more than you bought for to the mud community.

Clearly a repaint, I’m guessing you have buyer’s remorse, found a better cruiser, and want out of this one ASAP.

Good luck to you.

In post #17 of this thread New (for me) 80-series - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-for-me-80-series.1303346/ you stated you paid $12.5k for it and that’s what you’re selling it for. I get that you changed your mind and went back and edited your post. Your cruiser, you sell it for what you want.

Just don’t act like you’re doing the “mud community” a favor by attempting to sell your cruiser for more than you bought for to the mud community.

Clearly a repaint, I’m guessing you have buyer’s remorse, found a better cruiser, and want out of this one ASAP.

Good luck to you.

If someone wants it for $12.5K I'm not going to haggle or loose sleep over $500. Several "Cruiser" people I know, some Mud members here suggested I advertise it for $15K, and could likely sell it for that.

No buyers remorse, just found an almost perfect for me 80 shortly after getting this one.

Also, I'm not going to argue about the paint. It is what it is, and it's a take it or leave it deal.

Good luck to y
A 96 triple locked with cloth manual interior for 13k. Regardless of the paint, thats a great deal these days in my opinion. Original paint with that mileage probably would have been rough anyway.
Hey Tanner agreed! I know Alpine and he's being completely transparent. No buyer's remorse here; you're guessing wrong.

Does it pass Colorado emissions?

I found an emissions test report from 2014 in my paperwork pile on the vehicle. Previous to the previous owner. The vehicle was located in Golden Colorado, where they have mandatory emissions testing. Looks like it passed back then.

Buyers will want to know if it passes emissions, and in Colorado it’s a legal requirement for nearly all sellers to provide a passing emissions test. Even though you may not live in a place that requires emissions, the vast majority people do live in places that requires it, so any potential buyer (like me) will need to know. If it was last tested in 2014, that doesn’t help a buyer in 2023.

View attachment 3250082

I understand your view, but for me there's no requirement as an owner or seller. The closest emissions testing place for me is 3-1/2 hours away (one way), and a mute point if someone buys it who lives in a Free Colorado County, or from another State. I'm only 25-miles away from Wyoming for example, which doesn't require emissions testing any where in the State that I'm aware of.

I understand your view, but for me there's no requirement as an owner or seller. The closest emissions testing place for me is 3-1/2 hours away (one way), and a mute point if someone buys it who lives in a Free Colorado County, or from another State. I'm only 25-miles away from Wyoming for example, which doesn't require emissions testing any where in the State that I'm aware of.

I’ve been looking for a cloth interior 95-97 80 for a long time, but I live in a county that requires emissions like the vast majority of the country. I was actually interested in this very 80 when it was posted on Craigslist last year when you bought it, but the seller also couldn’t verify emissions compliance. I totally understand you live in a place without a required smog test which is great and makes life easier for sure. I have a diesel in my driveway right now that didn’t pass emissions recently and I truly don’t what to do with it now because it isn’t cost effective to fix. It’s a rough situation which is why I am asking, and if I’m asking, others are thinking it too. Good luck with the sale though it’s a cool rig with cloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom