'93 FZJ80 - Shock Size - Unknown Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear shocks are done for. I am not 100% sure what kind/size of lift I have. Can someone help me out with this project? Bought the truck in 2014 and it was already lifted.

I do not trust that the last owner had the right shock size and simply just pulling the old ones off and replacing with the same will not cut it for me.

1. What can I measure that will tell me the correct lift size.

2. When I find out what size lift it has do I simply just add the lift height to the OEM shock specs?

3. If I take the old shocks off and lower the truck back to the ground, would this give me the correct measurements? What would I measure if this is the way to do the job?

4. Should I replace front and rear at the same time?

5. Any recommendations for shocks? The vehicle is currently my wife's DD but in the near future will be our recreation rig. Some trail riding, camping, fishing trips, etc. I do not need crazy performance at the moment but will in the future. Something capable but not too pricey.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you.

Budget: Fox 2.0 ifp's
Money doesn't matter: kings or radflo
You need to measure lower shock mount to upper shock mount with the suspension fully extended and fully compressed.

For the lift size and general idea, measure from the center of the wheel vertically to the fender well lip. Stock is around 19"-20".

Thank you for the quick responses. I was wanting to get this done soon and ya'll have really helped. Great community!!

So I took the rear shocks off and my depressed measurement with the tires on the ground is 22" and the extended measurement was 26 3/4".

For the lift, my measurements were 23" in the rear (shocks removed) and 22" in the front. Would you say this is about a 2.5" or 3" lift?

Fox Racing's website gives 2 options for the 2.0 IFP's based on lift height and not for depressed/extended measurements. Options are 1.5"-2.5" lift and 3"-5" lift. Wish they would show the actual specs for the depressed/extended measurements of the shock. Any suggestions on this?

I called O'Reilly's and they had a Bilstein shock for a 2.5" lift for $40! The depressed/Extended specs were a couple of inches off from what I think I need though.

What do ya'll think?

Is your compressed measurement taken just sitting on the ground or with the wheel raised/stuffed all the way up into the fender well (axle against the bumps tops)? Latter is the correct compressed measurement. For your use you could go with the 1.5-2.5" lift ones and be great (would just lose some droop but it doesn't sound like you will be flexing it out completely on the trail).
Check with downsouth Motorsport. I'm pretty sure they have measurements. In fact, I posted them in the "fox ifp shock" thread..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom