93 auto trans starts from 2nd problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
93 with 190,000k. It's done it occasionally before, but has gotten more frequent. When starting from a stop and put in drive, the trans basically starts from 2, so slips. If you manually shift to "L" it does fine for start, then move up to drive and all is well. It's just not shifting to Low when stopped.
Fluid level is good, although I did just have to add a couple quarts, replaced radiator and lost some. Any ideas?

Bad solenoid in the trans, pretty common on the electronic A442F's.

Not that this is a long term solution but I'm curious whether yours acts like mine..

If from park you go into reverse and back up 6-10 feet, then put in drive will it act normal including first gear?

That was the most puzzling detail of mine.

Oh and a new 1-2 solenoid didn't fix the issue. Never got around to trying a new 2-3

No, mine seems to do the oppsite. If I'm shifting from reverse it's more prevalent. If I've been driving forward and stop, it doesn't usually do it.

Have you interrogated the transmission ecu for codes? Have you ever noticed the O/D OFF indicator flashing? Do you own a factory service manual?

Haven't checked ecu, haven't noticed OD light flashing. I do have fsm, just haven't checked that far yet.
Have you interrogated the transmission ecu for codes? Have you ever noticed the O/D OFF indicator flashing? Do you own a factory service manual?

Hi All - I have the same issue with my 93 , 4.2 diesel . It always wants to start in 2nd when placed in D. If I shift down from 2 to L it will shift down and start off again there, but as soon as I shift up it will always start in 2. The O/D light is flashing. Error codes pointed to the TPS and the solenoids. The lads at the garage checked the solenoids and all worked perfectly, The TPS has been changed so has the transmission relay and The transmission ECU. Still no change. I've changed the gear change switch on the side of the gear box too - no change. I've completely run out of options !! can anyone help ???

I had the same issue, Solenoid was what we thought (no big deal) in the end it was a loose connection.

Check your connections first, it could save you a bunch of money...

I had the same issue, Solenoid was what we thought (no big deal) in the end it was a loose connection.

Check your connections first, it could save you a bunch of money...
Hi - yup I think that's all thats actually left for us to check - can you please advise where you found the loose connection ?

Obviously we've checked the connections on all the parts that have been swapped. Just wondering where I may have missed some connections ? Again, any help greatly appreciated .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom