93/94 Y pipe is trashed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an exhaust leak at the y pipe and an intermittent o2 sensor CEL due to the heat shield (i believe). Y pipe is toast.

What are people doing to solve this these days?

Much help appreciated.

Is the 93/94 the same as the newer models?

Magnaflow is the way to go. Stainless steel, perfect fit, high quality, about $340 IIRC. I've bought two and both were perfect.

DO NOT get the bosal y-pipe.

Run the magna flow pipe go to single cat single pipe eliminating the double side by side and put your o2s in the pair location

I've got an exhaust leak at the y pipe and an intermittent o2 sensor CEL due to the heat shield (i believe). Y pipe is toast.

What are people doing to solve this these days?

Much help appreciated.
Do you mean the Y pipe is rusted out or cracked? Does your exhaust system whistle especially under load?

Do you mean the Y pipe is rusted out or cracked? Does your exhaust system whistle especially under load?

It's rusted / cracked etc. When under load it's more of a roar than a whistle. I'll pop my sliders off in the next day or two - if we ever get a day without rain - for a better view. I know the heat shield is rattling around as my car sounds like a hoopty sometimes at stoplights. I know there's an exhaust leak at the Y pipe b/c when it's very cold I see exhaust coming from it at startup.

Run the magna flow pipe go to single cat single pipe eliminating the double side by side and put your o2s in the pair location

Yep. That's what I did. Magnaflow unit is quality stainless and with a single high efficiency cat, I had zero issues passing smog. Removing the PAIR system took all of an hour. As a bonus, you will free up a ton of space in the engine compartment and around the cat area. I could move the cat protection part of my sliders up at least another 3" now.

Magnaflow PN is 23120. Pretty good deal on Amazon.

I may have one more year of smog testing here in Seattle. Anyone know if these edits will affect that?

I may have to stay as is, since I have 93/94 specific sliders. Unless I'm missing something in your explanation @BadReligion

It's rusted / cracked etc. When under load it's more of a roar than a whistle. I'll pop my sliders off in the next day or two - if we ever get a day without rain - for a better view. I know the heat shield is rattling around as my car sounds like a hoopty sometimes at stoplights. I know there's an exhaust leak at the Y pipe b/c when it's very cold I see exhaust coming from it at startup.

Good way to check for leaks is with a little Seafoam. Just let it idle after sucking up 1/4 of a bottle and you will see smoke come out of any part of the exhaust system that is leaking.

I may have one more year of smog testing here in Seattle. Anyone know if these edits will affect that?

I may have to stay as is, since I have 93/94 specific sliders. Unless I'm missing something in your explanation @BadReligion

Sliders will still fit w/o any issues. You will just have plenty of additional clearance between the cat protection part of your sliders and the actual cat. So if you wanted to, you could cut and reweld it to gain a bit more clearance.

So this morning I had the Walker factory fit replacement muffler installed by a local guy for $68. Fits perfectly and the annoying exhaust whistling is now gone. I think this muffler lets a little more sound through but it’s not significant.

I will be relocating to southern WA in about a month so yesterday I called the dmv folks in my new area to ask some questions. Apparently my 1993 cruiser won’t need to emissions tested to get it licensed. She also informed me that testing in WA will cease in one and a half years anyway.

I will be relocating to southern WA in about a month.[/QUOTE said:
Tired of MOC Steve?

Tired of CA buddy.

The sun never shines here. Stay in CA.

The sun never shines here. Stay in CA.
I'm not moving to seattle and I have done my home work. If you have spent your whole life in Seattle, you would probably be ok here in the land of fruits and nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom