For Sale 91 HZJ73 with Chevy lump so LTJ73? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To preface, I'm a FSM thumping Cruiser nut, period, and feel the best place for LS1s is in a Chebby.

Need your help wrapping my head around why anyone would toss a 1HZ.

Ever driven an HZJ?

The true beauty is simplicity and longevity, as it's not exactly the pinnacle of performance.

That said, considering the ad insinuates imported as is, I'd bet it's a similar story to so many of those on these pages, the owner suffering from the 'what I want is what I've not got' disease, when what he needed was already present.

Can only imagine how cool he'd have been in Japan....

There's plenty of turbo kits out there??!!

No need for, quite frankly, as the best 'mod' for an HZ is IP and injector rebuild, the aftermarket turbo leaving a bitter taste when analyzing the cost versus chit eatin' grin factor, but the best way to build a well rounded HZ is the addition of the factory T.

I prolly won't race for pinks against an LS1....that's what my '76 Pig is for....but it's a powerhouse that feels good through the entire RPM range, all in the same spirit of simplicity.

Never driven a 1HZ. However I have a TD42 which should be a comparable experience.

If indeed the conversion was performed in Japan, then the importer wasn't quite honest when filling out the import paperwork. It clearly states that to be exempt from EPA regs the motor has to be original to the car.

I have a TD42 which should be a comparable experience.

My question was tongue in cheek as, again, I'm a diehard 1HZ fanatic, which I'd imagine is comparable to the TD42.

Happen to have a Patrol rear third laying around, by chance?

I've the front for an 'über build' but didn't consider gear ratio options between LC and Patrol were incompatible.

If indeed the conversion was performed in Japan, then the importer wasn't quite honest when filling out the import paperwork. It clearly states that to be exempt from EPA regs the motor has to be original to the car.

That may be, but don't know that adherence to is the norm.

I was speculating, to an extent, since I'd imagine and LS1 conversion would've been documented here, if performed in the US.

My question was tongue in cheek as, again, I'm a diehard 1HZ fanatic, which I'd imagine is comparable to the TD42.

Happen to have a Patrol rear third laying around, by chance?

I've the front for an 'über build' but didn't consider gear ratio options between LC and Patrol were incompatible.

That may be, but don't know that adherence to is the norm.

I was speculating, to an extent, since I'd imagine and LS1 conversion would've been documented here, if performed in the US.

Nope. No third row seat. Mine had a little gas stove in a drawer in the back.

I've got my eye out for a nice 77 with a stick. So a 1HZ is in my future.

Seller confirmed motor swap performed in Japan. Also confirmed he lied on his customs entry. Another day another dip**** importer.

Nope. No third row seat. Mine had a little gas stove in a drawer in the back.

I've got my eye out for a nice 77 with a stick. So a 1HZ is in my future.

I think Chris meant a rear Third member from a Patrol

It looks like that HZJ73 has been laying on his side ......after they repainted it ;)

I saw this for sale in Japan in July. I'm sure it has an interesting back story. To each their own, but not my cup of tea.

there's lots of speculation on this swap. In my opinion it is a nice looking Cruiser, and very desirable in the American market due to the lift, tires and american engine in it.
We TOYOTA guys would probably take issue with dropping the HZ platform on this unit.

One can assume that perhaps there was a reason why this mod/restoration went this way. there was either a lunatic who had a well kept and good functioning 73 with the HZ who NEEDED a corvette engine put in. Or there was a bigger issues with the original platform - damaged etc, and this frankenstein was a product of a wrecked corvette and a damaged HZ and fate put them together.

I think it's a nice looking 73, not my style, but I can see the 'merican crowd appreciating this set up.

I can see the 'merican crowd appreciating this set up.

Imma 'bout as 'Merican as it gets, from the 10 gallon hat covering my redneck, the handle bar 'stache, S&W revolver strapped to my big buckled belt, holding up the 'Ranglers o'er my fat ass

and I've no appreciation for.

If it were a LHD 76 with an LS1, I'd buy the damn thing and yank that Chebby out before firing up, rubber gloved and all.

IF, in fact, some catastrophic HZ failure promted the swap, I'd have no part of even that dream 76, because there ain't no damn tellin' what it's been, since the 1HZ is truly 'too dumb to die' -Pighead (RIP).

So.......as the former owner of an LS3 powered BJ 73, I know a little about 'Vette powered MWB 70 Series. It was the most fun I have had in a vehicle. Highway, trail, etc. that truck did/does it all.

Tor and I built a beauty of a truck and I/we are proud of it. That said, we learned a lot.... I drove it for around 5,000 miles and enjoyed every one of them, well almost.

Tor now owns the truck and it is going through some upgrades. Simply stated, the manual trans, part time 4WD and 430 HP were a handful, especially on wet Seattle roads. The truck is now getting a GM auto and the front drivetrain (TC and hubs) from an 80, which will provide four driving wheels to absorb and distribute the engine's output.

The H55 in my truck was brand new and a great box, but the ratios did not suit the engine well. The GM auto will provide a better driving experience on road and trail.

I know the diesel fans will likely disagree, but the engine and frame/body were a great fit - just needed a trans/diff/axle combo that was more controllable.

Also not a fan of RHD so the combination of hot rod motor, manual trans and "wrong shift hand would have put me over the edge.

:cheers:

Imma 'bout as 'Merican as it gets, from the 10 gallon hat covering my redneck, the handle bar 'stache, S&W revolver strapped to my big buckled belt, holding up the 'Ranglers o'er my fat ass

and I've no appreciation for.

If it were a LHD 76 with an LS1, I'd buy the damn thing and yank that Chebby out before firing up, rubber gloved and all.

IF, in fact, some catastrophic HZ failure promted the swap, I'd have no part of even that dream 76, because there ain't no damn tellin' what it's been, since the 1HZ is truly 'too dumb to die' -Pighead (RIP).

I hear your comment, but different strokes for different folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom