91 FJ80 first mods? (1 Viewer)

Hey guys, I have a 91 fj80, and I want to make it into something for occasional fire roads and sleeping inside the vehicle. I've already got 31" K02's. What should I do next? Comms? Rear bar to gain some departure angle? Front bar? Other than the tires the rig is stock. Any ideas would be real helpful. Thanks guys.

Couple of things.

This is a 29 year old vehicle. Replace all rubber bits and pieces. That's belts, hoses, soft brake lines, etc. Use OEM parts.
You are going to want to rebuild the front calipers and possibly the rear wheel cylinders. Use OEM rebuild kits.
You probably want a new Aisin FCT-049 fan clutch. Again, 29 years old.

You don't have CVs, you have birfield joints.
The transmission filter is a steel mesh screen that gets cleaned and reused.

In short, every item on your list that has "CHECK" should be replaced.

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
You hit on most of the maintenance stuff. I would replace the fuel sock in the gas tank and maybe upgrade to a higher output alternator (stock is 80 amps). I'd also consider the following:

- Replace the PCV and associated hoses: 80 Series 1FZ PCV Valve Kit
- Replace the coolant (don't know how long it's been in there) and change the thermostat: 80 Series 1FZ Thermostat and Bypass O-Ring Kit. Also, replacing the radiator cap is probably a good idea.
- New/extra fusible link: Fusible Link for 80 Series Land Cruiser
- Make sure that your water pump is in good shape.
- Go ahead and replace the vacuum lines. They're cheap: OEM Vacuum Hose Kit- 3.5mm

Good Luck!

Last edited:

This^

Plus, replace the radiator. Toyota runs the trans cooler line through the rad so, if it corrodes, you have pink milk shake and a trans rebuild in your future.

Clean the engine compartment first, steam clean is well worth the money. This way you accomplish two things. First, it is so much nicer to wrench on a clean engine, second, you can find oil leaks so much more easily when they occur.

PM is going to be expensive but as Jon said, all the rubber is old. You wouldn't drive on 29 year old tires... would you?

Ignore the sales links in this post, they are for a 1fz-fe, you have the 3FE. But still good maintenance suggestions.

You hit on most of the maintenance stuff. I would replace the fuel sock in the gas tank and maybe upgrade to a higher output alternator (stock is 80 amps). I'd also consider the following:

- Replace the coolant (don't know how long it's been in there) and change the thermostat: 80 Series 1FZ Thermostat and Bypass O-Ring Kit. Also, replacing the radiator cap is probably a good idea.
- Go ahead and replace the vacuum lines. They're cheap: OEM Vacuum Hose Kit- 3.5mm

Good Luck!

Good Luck!
If its a 1991 he has a 3fe not a 1fz

Thanks for the help guys!

The things I have done so far are as follows.
90 amp alternator
Head gasket
Radiator
Injectors
Ecu
Radiator cap
Remote oil filter

Is there anything I should do while the hoses are apart?

there is no MAF to clean. do not unscrew the connector to your AFM thinking you should clean it (mistaken for MAF) or you will be looking to buy a new one from somewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom