‘89 4Runner auto shifter really loose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joseywales

Renaissance Redneck
Threads
So I’m moments away from purchasing an ‘89 with the 3.0 auto (not my first choice) and the shifter is really sloppy. It functions fine, but I’d like it to be a little (lot) tighter. Is it just a matter of messing with the linkage, or is there a bushing or something that it pivots or rides in under the console? I’d normally just take the console out and explore, but I don’t own it yet...

Thanks amigo! I figured someone knew the skinny on it. The link is much appreciated! Is it a “from above” or “from below” repair? (It’s easier to keep from knocking your beer over if you’re not rolling around underneath!)

Thanks amigo! I figured someone knew the skinny on it. The link is much appreciated! Is it a “from above” or “from below” repair? (It’s easier to keep from knocking your beer over if you’re not rolling around underneath!)

Thanks. Yeah, I'm pretty sure those bushings can be obtained from your local toyota dealer for cheaper than in the link I gave you. Should be less than $5, as I recall. Loose Auto Shifter Fix - YotaTech Forums

It’ll be worth doing though, as it is flopping around like crazy. Other than some rear fender rust, it’s the only really annoying thing on this rig.

Parts arrived this morning, and are now in the Frunner. Thanks for the links guys! I did all the dash and console lights today as well, and removed the rear seat lowers for more of a utility type set up. The only thing that’s going to be in the back is cargo or my dogs, so no need for seats!

... and removed the rear seat lowers for more of a utility type set up. The only thing that’s going to be in the back is cargo or my dogs, so no need for seats!

I did the same thing for a long time. Then finally said f-it and just removed the back seat entirely. To make sure I couldn't go back, I sold them.

I did the same thing for a long time. Then finally said f-it and just removed the back seat entirely. To make sure I couldn't go back, I sold them.

Did you do a sleeping platform or something like it? I left the uppers in and folded down to keep the floor flat.

Did you do a sleeping platform or something like it? I left the uppers in and folded down to keep the floor flat.
Nope. One side is open so I can access the hatch for the fuel pump. The other side does have a "bed" that runs full length so I can toss junk under it where the seat was. I have no need for a "sleeping platform."

IMGP3664-sm.jpg

Me neither!

FF1E3C79-150C-44E3-A569-90D63660B5D6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom