'88 4Runner SAS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang... Just how much lift did it end up being. those 35's look like my 32"s on my truck. oh wait, you have about a 3 inch body lift too it looks like.

He could easily clear 38's but some 37's would probably be ideal. I didn't think that was 35's either when I first looked because it towers over them.

All that time and I don't know if they are 35" or 36" but they look big compared to my 35" MTR's. Nice IROKS.

yes, tires are 35x14.50x18 used Irocks, wheels are 18x10 polished.

I have not even pulled it of the trailer since I backed it out the shop at Albert's buddy place. I pulled it to the drive shaft shop on Monday and let them do some measurements and got the shafts late Tuesday evening. The next day I had to fly out for my 2 weeks, until July second. I should be pretty busy finishing some things up so I can break in the gears before the weekend trip. :bang:

Did you get the washers and lock nuts for the front axle in yet? Did you also still have the metal lines off the calipers?

Got washers and nuts but did not install them yet. I did install the metal brake lines up front and bleed the whole system again.

You going to have it running and ready for the SI run on the 4th?

I am going to have to quit talking about doing ti and actually do some work on my truck pretty soon or I wont be able to follow everyone any more.

If I get in early enough I should be able to rap most of it up. Just wish I could put some more miles on it and check out everything before putting out on the trail. I rather work on it all weekend than not go at all.

Has luck would have it found some nails in my used tire. Went to Pepboys to have it patched and they tore a chunk of rubber off near the bead near during dismount. They are saying they should have never tried working on a tire that big and that the tires are dry rot.
Thanks not so much Pepboys.
Tire.jpg
Tire.jpg

Also ran into a problem with the front drive shaft, it is to long after I brought the whole truck so that they could measure themselves. The angle is not right it seems I have the wrong u-joint, any suggestions.
Will try to take it back to the drive shaft shop tomorrow, but it doesn't look good for the weekend. But got everything else together just hope that tire holds up.:bang:
Toyota SAS 155.jpg
Toyota SAS 153.jpg
Toyota SAS 152.jpg
Toyota SAS 152.jpg
Toyota SAS 153.jpg
Toyota SAS 155.jpg

Looks great John, sorry to hear of your woes. No ideas on the driveshaft but with a well outfitted shop they should be able to fix the length with no problems. Drive it over there and let them get it right you went out of your way no they can fix it. You should be ok on the tire I've had tire shops damage the bead on several swampers and others because of the new style machine they're using it not really big enough to mount large tires and it pinches the bead. The beads on the swampers are very thick. I've tried a few places and they've turned me away for just a 33' tire.

Put a single u-joint at the T-case to eliminate the CV joint .This still means to cut and re weld, look at how much angle you are getting from the single u-joint for the front third member.

I have some spare drive shafts, let me look at them and see if I can find one that will bolt up to your T-case and you can cut the tube off it and swap it in place of the CV on the one you have now. Don't give up hope on the truck we all get little thing that does not work out like planed.

Last edited:
Thanks Albert, I remember you saying something about that at the shop.

Looks great. Hope you get it worked out, I'd love to see it this weekend.

Thought I would do a story line and pics for those of you just wandering about the process. I used the trail gear 5'' IFS eliminator kit and 5'' rear classic lift kit. Loaded all the parts and some tools onto the cargo area of the 4runner and off to the shop we went.
Toyota SAS 037.jpg
We got a game plan together and with my experienced leader the removal of the IFS was done on the first day.:clap:
Toyota SAS 041.jpg
Toyota SAS 046.jpg
Toyota SAS 037.jpg
Toyota SAS 041.jpg
Toyota SAS 046.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom