87 4runner 22re...how many miles is too many miles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
bullet proof yes, this one is clean (like zero rust anywhere), I also got pics of engine bay which looks clean.
the 22re is an upgrade from the 22r so I guess the top half was replaced at some point but I don't know how many miles are on the upgraded engine.

would the timing chain have been replaced with that upgrade?

387K?
yowza.
what is this truck worth?

1987 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - lowered price

I'm relatively sure that ALL 4Runners from '85 on had EFI, so somebody is not being truthful there.

In this area, I think that is an OK price ($5800), I would pay close to that if I were in the market, and if it is as clean as he says. I paid a little less for my '87 Xtra cab in 2002, it was absolutely mint, but only 150K miles. Sucks that the rear seat is gone, if that matters to you. ALL of the interior plastic will be brittle and cracked.

It's worth what you are willing to pay.

In the add he asks for 6900. I do believe you could get one with a 22r up until 89 but the were special order. But that is an sr5 so it should have come with a 22re.

might he have written sr5 to reflect the fact that it NOW has a 22re or, I suppose that would have meant other bells and whistles.....

but is the consensus here that 387K is NOT too many miles?

I'm relatively sure that ALL 4Runners from '85 on had EFI, so somebody is not being truthful there.

Wouldn't explain the SR5 description, but I thought the ran the 22R on some standard and DLX trim package trucks up thru 87 or 88?

I’d take the front doors so I can get rid of my power windows;)

It can be, or not be. Highly dependant on the care. I worked with a guy that bought one new in '86. Drove it for over 500K. He lost the battle to the rust demon.

Get the VIN, then you can confirm the engine. But I am pretty confident that '84 was the only year the they put carb'd 22Rs in 4Runners.

Wouldn't explain the SR5 description, but I thought the ran the 22R on some standard and DLX trim package trucks up thru 87 or 88?

'87 was the last year for the 22R in 4WD pickups. Friend had one. But you could find them in 2WD trucks up to '95.

I'll try to get the VIN, where do I look up something that old?

anyone here have a backseat?

I'll try to get the VIN, where do I look up something that old?

You don't, you call or email the seller and ask for it. If they won't provide it, walk away.

Oh, sorry.

There are several Toyota VIN decoder sites out there, ToyoDIY.com can also do it then you can look up parts. You could also call a dealer and ask them to look it up.

I’m pretty sure any 4Runner ‘85 and up is re. My ‘86 has somewhere between 300-400k of hard, wheeling miles and still goes 70 down the highway with 37’s.

carguru shows three models of 4runner from 1987 and though it doesn't show engine it does indicate horsepower and torque:
2dr deluxe : 2.4L 116 hp I4 (torque: 140 lb-ft @ 2,800 RPM)
2dr sr5: 2.4L 116 hp I4 (torque: 140 lb-ft @ 2,800 RPM)
2dr sr5 turbo: 2.4L 135 hp I4 (torque: 173 lb-ft @ 2,800 RPM)

but this doesn't jibe since the sr5 and sr5 turbo would both be the EFI, no?

anyone see red flags on this other than this one mystery? Price-wise what is the collective wisdom?
the seller is very genuine and straightforward, clearly a nice guy, I seriously doubt he is being dishonest though I realize the previous owner may have misled him regrading the swap (that said, why would anyone lie about swapping out the top half ...rather than just say they put in a whole new engine?).

I’m pretty sure any 4Runner ‘85 and up is re. My ‘86 has somewhere between 300-400k of hard, wheeling miles and still goes 70 down the highway with 37’s.

I don't believe any 4R 1985 and up had a carburetor. DX, SR5, it didn't matter. Trucks, yes. The only year you could get a carburetor in a 4R was the 1984 model. Straight from Toyota USA. Not sure how this works out in real life with the trucks.

4Runner: EFI 8/84+ (1985 model+)

4R.jpg

4WD Trucks: Carb until 8/88 (through 1988 models), and according to this EFI was available for 1984 models, but I'm not so sure.

Truck.jpg

2WD Trucks: EFI 8/83+ (?), carb available until 1/95.

2wdtruck.jpg

would the timing chain have been replaced with that upgrade?

Not necessarily. Hard to say how long it will last. Best bet is to personally inspect and drive in order to assess condition. Great engines, but not indestructible.

The literature says the carbed engine was offered up to '87-88, but I've never heard of one after '85.

carguru shows three models of 4runner from 1987 and though it doesn't show engine it does indicate horsepower and torque:
2dr deluxe : 2.4L 116 hp I4 (torque: 140 lb-ft @ 2,800 RPM)
2dr sr5: 2.4L 116 hp I4 (torque: 140 lb-ft @ 2,800 RPM)
2dr sr5 turbo: 2.4L 135 hp I4 (torque: 173 lb-ft @ 2,800 RPM)

but this doesn't jibe since the sr5 and sr5 turbo would both be the EFI, no?

anyone see red flags on this other than this one mystery? Price-wise what is the collective wisdom?
the seller is very genuine and straightforward, clearly a nice guy, I seriously doubt he is being dishonest though I realize the previous owner may have misled him regrading the swap (that said, why would anyone lie about swapping out the top half ...rather than just say they put in a whole new engine?).
116 hp and 140 lb-ft is 22RE. I think I read somewhere the early 22RE was 105 hp+140 lb ft.
The 22R was 99 hp and 129 lb-ft
ALL 85+ 4Runners were EFI.
The 22R was offered in 2WD pickups until 1990. Starting in 91 everything was EFI.
I believe the one post about 1987 being the last year for the 22R in 4WD pickups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom