85 22Re issue, help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 85 that I built up 8 years ago, dropped a 22re Performance stage 2 in it. Because of deployments and life I left it at my dad's house and I haven't drove it in 3-4 years. I working on getting it going again, It starts right up then dies, it won't start again unless you leave it for a few minutes the same thing. Any ideas?

Start by shorting the fuel pump test connector. As I recall it will bypass the COR and run the pump with the key in the ON position, but the engine not running. After shorting the test connector, put the key in ON, but don't start, then walk back to the gas tank. You should hear the pump whirring. If not, the problem is likely the pump. If the pump is working, the issue could be the COR or AFM. Make sure the AFM is plugged in.

If the pump is working try and start the truck with the test connector shorted. Note that driving the truck with the fuel pump test connector shorted is not advised. If you get into a wreck the pump will continue to pump fuel and you risk a fire. Under normal conditions a switch in the AFM will kill the pump if the engine stalls in an accident. Shorting the fuel pump test connector bypasses this safety feature.

Fuel pump test connector is in the red circle.

Test connectors-sm.jpg

Last edited:
And geez ... where are my manners. This is your first post. Welcome to our slice of MUD. :flipoff2: <- official MUD welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom