85 22RE head gasket time! Question about replacement cylinder head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! The time has come to do the head gasket on my pickup. I was debating what to do with my head. Truck has 179k miles on it and uses a little oil between changes. Was thinking about getting a new replacement head from LC engineering. Anyone have any experience with them and their cylinder heads? Thanks for any input.

Engnbldr is just as good and better priced IMHO. I've got a bottom end from LCE and had nothing but problems with putting it together.

Has it ever been shaved flat? Have you ever checked the cam journal/bearings (plastigage)? Anything stripped?

If you think it needs to be replaced, I would also vote for ENGNBLDR.COM, ENGINE PARTS NETWORK. But either way, before installing I would have all the exhaust stud holes drilled out and Helicoil (or similar) inserts installed. They strip very easily, and it sucks to repair once installed. Probably the same for the spark plug holes.

Get an OEM gasket kit! Worth it!

Has it ever been shaved flat? Have you ever checked the cam journal/bearings (plastigage)? Anything stripped?

If you think it needs to be replaced, I would also vote for ENGNBLDR.COM, ENGINE PARTS NETWORK. But either way, before installing I would have all the exhaust stud holes drilled out and Helicoil (or similar) inserts installed. They strip very easily, and it sucks to repair once installed. Probably the same for the spark plug holes.

I don't think this head has ever been removed. Not sure that it needs replaced just trying to compare machine costs for a valve job and replacing the head with a new unit. Does Toyota make a head gasket set with everything you need to do the job?

Yes they do, just have your VIN so they can get you the correct set. The kits are very specific, which is nice because all the gaskets fit and you don't end up with a bunch of leftovers that you can't use.

Good gawd this! Do not, DO NOT use anything other than a Toyota head gasket. I've had three Felpro head gaskets fail on me (2FE, 22RE, 22RE), none installed by me. Don't let a machine shop, or parts store, tell you they are a quality gasket.

When I was in Albuquerque I used to get my parts at American Toyota. Not confident in the dealership near me. I guess I'll give them a chance on getting the correct gasket set. I was going to purchase only Toyota gaskets but didn't know they sold a complete set. That's good to know.

There are lots of places to mail-order OEM parts, at substantial discount. I've been using McGeorge lately, good prices and good service. I have a big order in with them right now.

McGeorge Toyota Parts Online | Your Source for Genuine Toyota online parts | parts.mcgeorgetoyota.com

It's only a matter of time until someone makes the entire OEM catalog of parts available on Amazon. You can find gasket sets there now, but they are no-name aftermarket stuff. I threw away the gasket set that came with my engine rebuild kit from engnbldr, I only used the hard parts but got all OEM gaskets.

I know you can get the head gasket on Amazon.

Just got my head back from the machine shop. Everything checked out good. Doing a thorough cleaning of the intake manifolds and throttle body. Also replacing some small heater hoses that run under the intake. Also got my injectors back from RC. Had 2 that were leaking.

Got everything back together and the truck is running good! Got 6 drive cycles on it now and about 30 miles. Thanks for mentioning the valve grind set available from Toyota. That really worked out well. Had an issue with Toyotapartsdeal on the valve grind set. Head gasket was damaged during shipping. Horribly packed. I'll never deal with them again.

Shouldve used McGeorge but Toyotapartsdeal is in San Diego so lots closer to me. Oh well, live and learn. I'll only use my local dealership from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom