1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

85 22RE head gasket time! Question about replacement cylinder head

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by vegasfj40, Sep 12, 2017.

1. vegasfj40

vegasfj40

Hello everyone! The time has come to do the head gasket on my pickup. I was debating what to do with my head. Truck has 179k miles on it and uses a little oil between changes. Was thinking about getting a new replacement head from LC engineering. Anyone have any experience with them and their cylinder heads? Thanks for any input.

2. Mudder

Mudder

Engnbldr is just as good and better priced IMHO. I've got a bottom end from LCE and had nothing but problems with putting it together.

vegasfj40 likes this.
  3. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

Has it ever been shaved flat? Have you ever checked the cam journal/bearings (plastigage)? Anything stripped?

If you think it needs to be replaced, I would also vote for ENGNBLDR.COM, ENGINE PARTS NETWORK. But either way, before installing I would have all the exhaust stud holes drilled out and Helicoil (or similar) inserts installed. They strip very easily, and it sucks to repair once installed. Probably the same for the spark plug holes.

Get an OEM gasket kit! Worth it!

vegasfj40 and Mudder like this.
  4. vegasfj40

vegasfj40

I don't think this head has ever been removed. Not sure that it needs replaced just trying to compare machine costs for a valve job and replacing the head with a new unit. Does Toyota make a head gasket set with everything you need to do the job?

5. KLF

Yes they do, just have your VIN so they can get you the correct set. The kits are very specific, which is nice because all the gaskets fit and you don't end up with a bunch of leftovers that you can't use.

vegasfj40 likes this.
  6. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Good gawd this! Do not, DO NOT use anything other than a Toyota head gasket. I've had three Felpro head gaskets fail on me (2FE, 22RE, 22RE), none installed by me. Don't let a machine shop, or parts store, tell you they are a quality gasket.

vegasfj40 and Mudder like this.
  7. vegasfj40

vegasfj40

When I was in Albuquerque I used to get my parts at American Toyota. Not confident in the dealership near me. I guess I'll give them a chance on getting the correct gasket set. I was going to purchase only Toyota gaskets but didn't know they sold a complete set. That's good to know.

8. KLF

There are lots of places to mail-order OEM parts, at substantial discount. I've been using McGeorge lately, good prices and good service. I have a big order in with them right now.

McGeorge Toyota Parts Online | Your Source for Genuine Toyota online parts | parts.mcgeorgetoyota.com

It's only a matter of time until someone makes the entire OEM catalog of parts available on Amazon. You can find gasket sets there now, but they are no-name aftermarket stuff. I threw away the gasket set that came with my engine rebuild kit from engnbldr, I only used the hard parts but got all OEM gaskets.

vegasfj40 likes this.
  9. Mudder

Mudder

I know you can get the head gasket on Amazon.

10. vegasfj40

vegasfj40

Thanks for the link KLF. I will check them out.