1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'85 22re emissions spaghetti

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by brokenmonkey, Aug 27, 2006.

1. brokenmonkey

brokenmonkey

I swapped out a head gasket on my '85 4runner and when it came to the emissions spaghetti I found that my piece of s#*t manual didn't show my setup... so I burned the manual, yelled at my dog and ran in the house to log on to IH8MUD. Anyone got pics of the top of their '85 22re?

Thanks,
    Steve

I have to go make nice to my pup now.

[​IMG]

2. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

I hope you did not really burn your manual ( :

I am pretty sure that autozone, under their information tab, has what you are looking for.

3. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    What do you need pictured? The EGR is the only emissions device that has vacuum lines on an 85 22RE. The rest control things like AC idle up.

4. brokenmonkey

brokenmonkey

My mistake. I'm a carb or Diesel guy.. this is the first fi I've messed with. What the situation is is that I am not sure that the vacuum lines have ever been correct in the time I've owned the truck. Now that I'm doing the head gasket, I thought I'd spend the time to try to figure out what all this crap does (or is supposed to do.) Unfortunately, my manual doesn't list one of electronic vacuum switches (or something like that) mounted on the valve cover and shows the other 180' out. The little sketches of where the vacuum lines go pretty much suck but I really have my doubts about only a couple of locations. That's basically from the two electronic switches on the valve cover.

5. medtro

medtro

Is there any vacuum diagram (sticker) under the hood?

6. pappy

Media:
    Albums:
    I will try and remember to takes pics tonight. But, I think my service manual has a decent diagram of the lines. I will check that tonight too.

7. brokenmonkey

brokenmonkey

Nothing that I've been able to find

8. brokenmonkey

brokenmonkey

Sweet! I appreciate it! The other thing that makes me skeptical of how well it was hooked up prior is that there's a t splitter on the tube from one of the distributor lines that runs to the pressure regulator. It definitely looks backyard. Is there any reason I'd have two VSVs? I still can't find any reference to the electronic valve near the firewall on the cover.

Thanks again for your help

9. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

Guys, just go to the autozone site, the vaccum lines are clearly laid out for you

10. brokenmonkey

brokenmonkey

hmm.. I'll have to dig around there again. I couldn't find anything on it before but was probably looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

Steve

11. 2ndGenToyotaFan

2ndGenToyotaFan Ice-Bound Moderator

VSV's? My 89 has 3 just on the valve cover, maybe 4.... Remember to have fun! :D

12. brokenmonkey

brokenmonkey

Ha!! I found the Autozone diagrams... they're the same as in my manual. My setup seems to fall between the '84 and '85 with a couple of extra bits like the '89... I looove my Yota!!. (nah, I really do. just wish I understood it a bit better)
    I think I'll buy a couple of new parts for it and see if it idles and accelerates happier then.

Thanks for all the help.

Steve

13. pappy

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe these will help

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">