'84 FJ60 Resto-Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

One of the newer members here, and just getting around to starting a thread on my latest project - a 1984 FJ60. I previously owned a 1990 HJ60 (while living in the Congo) and had to get my hands on another cruiser when we moved back state-side.

I found this one for a decent price considering the 4 hour drive each-way to pick it up, and the fact she only has 170K miles. The interior and headliner is in decent shape, but the body and exterior trim is going to need some work.

The first step will be to deal with the "small oil leak" coming from the oil pan gasket and somewhere else (I ended up hemorrhaging oil from Pocatello all the way back to Caldwell, stopping every 30 minutes to add a couple quarts) - ordered some parts from Cruiser Corp to start out, next step will be welding in patch panels to deal with the rust, and hopefully getting her onto a new set of OME springs.

I will be posting photos as I go, unfortunately this will take a while as I don't have a big enough garage, and our Idaho winter is about to set in!

That's a lot of oil to be losing... got to be more than just a gasket, as I'm sure you figured out. Take a picture of where it's coming from and someone will definitely chime in.

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of... possibly a rear main seal? Supposedly the PO did the front main seal just a year ago. So far I have ordered a new dipstick, oil pan gasket, PCV valve and gasket (a good bit of oil coming out of the fresh air intake). I figure if I start there, then scrub everything down I can get a good idea of where the leak is coming from. On that note, any tips on where to find, and tricks for replacing the PCV valve and grommet? Yes, I will search the forums...but if anyone is feeling particularly generous... :)

From my experience at least, the rear main is usually a slow drip.

The PCV valve is on the passenger side of the engine, just below the air cleaner housing. Look for a large vac hose making a 90 degree bend from the housing to the engine. The PCV is a metal cylinder that pulls right out of little rubber grommet on the engine, and once it's out you can shake it to see if its clogged. If you hear it rattle, it's still working, if not, it's clogged.

Even if it's rattling, you might as well order a new PCV valve and grommet from Toyota. In the short term you could soak the old one in seafoam or similar to clean it.

The old grommet may well be ready to fall apart, so be careful when you remove it. You don't want pieces of it falling into the crankcase. Once you get the PCV out, you can zip tie a little bit of rag and stuff it into the hole while you pull the grommet out.

Finished some major house projects so I am finaly able to get back to wrenching... chased one oil leak to the oil pressure sending unit (the black cap was full of oil) and have a new one of those on the way.

Couple of questions for you guys...

20191018_114139.jpg

Looks like I am missing two vacuum hoses?
20191018_114111.jpg

Is this just a breather hose, or should it connect somewhere? Is this vac port supposed to be hooked up to anything?
20191018_114031.jpg

OK... looks like a cold air intake goes on the purchase list. Recommendations? Where does that fitting on the left connect? Also, blower fan on the driver's side not ducted to anything?
20191018_105858.jpg

Finally, these are on the driver's side under the plastic tank...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom