83/84 PTO information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Apologies if I have done this incorrectly, this is my first post.

At the moment I am undertaking a full nut and bolt restoration of my 8/83 HJ47RP-KQ (Aus spec), using only genuine parts for that model.

I'm currently doing the body work for the 40, but before I paint it I would like to do all the alterations that need to be done. One of which being the PTO!
I have a complete PTO setup going into the 40 (paired to a factory 5 speed), but unfortunately I don't have the rubber boot for the PTO Lever but I am up to the stage of needing to cut the hole for it.

What I am asking... I'm looking for any information/photos that could help me with cutting out the correct size hole for the lever and holes for the bolts. Even better is if someone has a rubber boot for sale!!

I've searched across the internet and (with my limited knowledge on how to use this) I've searched across the forum, but unfortunately I can't find the info I need. I have seen one image of what a believe the PTO lever boot looks like, but I haven't found anything else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

No rubber boot for sale but do have a damaged one off this wrecked 6/84 HJ47RV from Australia.
wrecked HJ47.jpg

I believe I have a picture orr two of the transmission hump where PTO lever is. That would be from when I used an actual camera and not my phone, so on a hard drive. Besides the whole floor being coated with bed liner the damage from the accident bend up that area. If I had access to power would have brought a sawzall and cut the hump section out like I have waiting in Australia.
1983 floor 002.jpg
P1060754.JPG

Here is the lever I got off the 84.
016.JPG

Question does your PTO driveshaft have fine splines at the end for the PTO. I have no doubt the winch was factory installed but have never seen a fine spline on a PTO driveshaft. Factory PTO winches are rare in later 1970s. And none after 1/79 when the frames changed.
P1060854.JPG

No rubber boot for sale but do have a damaged one off this wrecked 6/84 HJ47RV from Australia.
View attachment 3460098
I believe I have a picture orr two of the transmission hump where PTO lever is. That would be from when I used an actual camera and not my phone, so on a hard drive. Besides the whole floor being coated with bed liner the damage from the accident bend up that area. If I had access to power would have brought a sawzall and cut the hump section out like I have waiting in Australia.
View attachment 3460081View attachment 3460082
Here is the lever I got off the 84.View attachment 3460100

Question does your PTO driveshaft have fine splines at the end for the PTO. I have no doubt the winch was factory installed but have never seen a fine spline on a PTO driveshaft. Factory PTO winches are rare in later 1970s. And none after 1/79 when the frames changed.
View attachment 3460099
No I've actually never seen a fine spline PTO shaft. I have an early parts catalog and a few other books so I'll check if I can find any info on the fine spline there.

I'll also have to post some photos of some of the info I've collected for the late model PTO. I just have to find them all...

No I've actually never seen a fine spline PTO shaft. I have an early parts catalog and a few other books so I'll check if I can find any info on the fine spline there.

I'll also have to post some photos of some of the info I've collected for the late model PTO. I just have to find them all...

What year is PTO driveshaft you have you have? This picture is actually a 60 series inner front axle for a cable locker.
P1060854.JPG

This is the actual 6/84 PTO driveshaft front the 84 HJ47RV.
022 (2).JPG

I also have a 8/80-9/82 PTO and driveshaft. Do not have the lever and cable to operate that PTO but have a 60 series 10/82-11/84 PTO shifter on a H55F.

What year is PTO driveshaft you have you have? This picture is actually a 60 series inner front axle for a cable locker.
View attachment 3460337
This is the actual 6/84 PTO driveshaft front the 84 HJ47RV.
View attachment 3460336

I also have a 8/80-9/82 PTO and driveshaft. Do not have the lever and cable to operate that PTO but have a 60 series 10/82-11/84 PTO shifter on a H55F.
Ahh okay. I am missing the correct shaft for my pto setup. I have a 60 series shaft and an early model 40 shaft. I've also got the early and the late model winch, as well as the two styles of pto box for the H55f. I've also got two shifters, one for the H55F (60), and one from an auto 60.

I haven't actually looked at my 60 series shaft to compare it to the late model 40 series shaft, but I will have a look today as now you have me curios

As for the lever; as far as I am aware the lever for both the 60 and the late model 40 is the same style. Only difference being the label on the top knob and the length of the relay shaft to the pto box, as there is either a pto with forward & reverse or just forward.

Ahh okay. I am missing the correct shaft for my pto setup. I have a 60 series shaft and an early model 40 shaft. I've also got the early and the late model winch, as well as the two styles of pto box for the H55f. I've also got two shifters, one for the H55F (60), and one from an auto 60.

I haven't actually looked at my 60 series shaft to compare it to the late model 40 series shaft, but I will have a look today as now you have me curios

As for the lever; as far as I am aware the lever for both the 60 and the late model 40 is the same style. Only difference being the label on the top knob and the length of the relay shaft to the pto box, as there is either a pto with forward & reverse or just forward.

I have three different split case PTOs. 8/80-10/82, 10/82-10/84 and 11/84 and later. Last one is only single direction.
These are the two early split case and one piece transfer case. My single direction is torn down in hopes of making it a two direction by using early one piece PTO parts.
IMG_20191229_172509044.jpg

The shifter for the 60 and 40 series are not the same. The 40 series is vertical and taller. 60 series angled back. The bracket for the automatic transmission is also different. The shift gate is also for a single direction.
IMG_20191229_172325648.jpg

Here are the two bracket that mount to the frame on 10/82-10/84 40 series.
025 (1).JPG

Not sure my 8/80-10/82 driveshaft is in this picture. I have a FJ55 PTO driveshaft also.
012 (1).JPG

I have three different split case PTOs. 8/80-10/82, 10/82-10/84 and 11/84 and later. Last one is only single direction.
These are the two early split case and one piece transfer case. My single direction is torn down in hopes of making it a two direction by using early one piece PTO parts.
View attachment 3460443
The shifter for the 60 and 40 series are not the same. The 40 series is vertical and taller. 60 series angled back. The bracket for the automatic transmission is also different. The shift gate is also for a single direction.
View attachment 3460442
Here are the two bracket that mount to the frame on 10/82-10/84 40 series.
View attachment 3460444
Not sure my 8/80-10/82 driveshaft is in this picture. I have a FJ55 PTO driveshaft also.
View attachment 3460445
Ah yes you're correct. I've just had a look at mine and yes they are angled back slightly, but that's good to know about the length.

These are the shifters I have. The top one is off an auto 60, and the bottom off a manual.
IMG_5462.jpg

These are the two boxes I have. Left is the single direction, right is the two direction.
IMG_5461.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

These are different images I've found of different boots for the pto lever

I have a feeling that this three bolt one is the correct one for the later models, but I could be wrong.

IMG_3769.PNG

This one must be sitting further back as they are probably using the 60 series lever and bracket.
IMG_5452.jpg

I have no idea what this one is out of, perhaps a 70 series? It is also sitting too far back.
IMG_5209.jpg

This is another I've seen, correct position but wrong angle.
IMG_5339.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

Ah yes you're correct. I've just had a look at mine and yes they are angled back slightly, but that's good to know about the length.

These are the shifters I have. The top one is off an auto 60, and the bottom off a manual.
View attachment 3460484
These are the two boxes I have. Left is the single direction, right is the two direction.
View attachment 3460485
View attachment 3460487

Might notice the two direction PTO is 8/80-10/82 40 series or 60 series. The shift rod is on the back side. For a 40 series the shift gate for the two direction should be vertical when in neutral and centered on the bracket.

The boot I have matches the first picture you posted. I need to get off my cell phone and use a computer. Have done that in a very long time. Acquired the HJ47 PTO in 2015 and all phones were taken with a digital camera and on a hard drive. Have to check what pictures I took at the time.

Might notice the two direction PTO is 8/80-10/82 40 series or 60 series. The shift rod is on the back side. For a 40 series the shift gate for the two direction should be vertical when in neutral and centered on the bracket.

The boot I have matches the first picture you posted. I need to get off my cell phone and use a computer. Have done that in a very long time. Acquired the HJ47 PTO in 2015 and all phones were taken with a digital camera and on a hard drive. Have to check what pictures I took at the time.
Do you happen to have the metal retainer for the boot at all?

Here are the pictures I of the wrecked transmission tunnel.
IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

This is the area of the frame where the rear motor mount bolt on. was fun getting the L bracket off using a old cordless drill to drill the bolt heads off. only one fixed was still attached to the frame.
IMG_1954.JPG

First picture compares the length of the 40 series compared to a 60 series. Besides the length compare the angle below the pivot point.
IMG_20191201_151457201.jpg

Second is the location of 40 series shift gate.
IMG_20191201_151526774.jpg

First picture compares the length of the 40 series compared to a 60 series. Besides the length compare the angle below the pivot point.
View attachment 3463860
Second is the location of 40 series shift gate.
View attachment 3463863
These are great thank you!
What's the distance between the centre of the locking plate and one of the top mounting holes for the bracket? Or is the locking plate centred to the two mounting holes on the top of the bracket?
Just making sure the 40 series lever isn't further forward from the 60 series lever.

These are great thank you!
What's the distance between the centre of the locking plate and one of the top mounting holes for the bracket? Or is the locking plate centred to the two mounting holes on the top of the bracket?
Just making sure the 40 series lever isn't further forward from the 60 series lever.

First time I have ever compared my 40 series to the 60 series mounting brackets. Never realized how different they are. Besides the location of the shift gate the pivot point is forward and the 40 series bracket is further away from the transmission. The bracket is also slightly higher in relationship to the transmission.

Just noticed the shifter on the 60 series offset is different. It moves the shifter out slightly.

Besides pictures not sure how to best document the differences possibly mounted to a H55F.

First time I have ever compared my 40 series to the 60 series mounting brackets. Never realized how different they are. Besides the location of the shift gate the pivot point is forward and the 40 series bracket is further away from the transmission. The bracket is also slightly higher in relationship to the transmission.

Just noticed the shifter on the 60 series offset is different. It moves the shifter out slightly.

Besides pictures not sure how to best document the differences possibly mounted to a H55F.
Oh wow, I didn't expect it to be that different! I do have some good news, I have found someone in Aus who has a pto setup off a BJ46. I think he is going to let me borrow what I need to make copies of, so I'm very excited about that!. Once I have them I'll post some more comparisons and info I get to keep this thread going incase it helps anyone else out too. If I'm successful in making copies I'll post it up here in case anyone is in need of the parts that I can make copies of.

Oh wow, I didn't expect it to be that different! I do have some good news, I have found someone in Aus who has a pto setup off a BJ46. I think he is going to let me borrow what I need to make copies of, so I'm very excited about that!. Once I have them I'll post some more comparisons and info I get to keep this thread going incase it helps anyone else out too. If I'm successful in making copies I'll post it up here in case anyone is in need of the parts that I can make copies of.

If possible could ask this person about the coarse or fine splines on the end of the driveshaft closest to the PTO and length of the section? The female piece with U joint is long as well as the driveshaft. Part number doesn't support it but wonder if it was made to adjust to both the four and five speed transmissions?

Not sure if your H55F is installed in the cruiser? 10/82 the PTO shift lever moved to front. Believe this may be because with the H55F the PTO is too close for the lever in the back.

I located the heavy rubber piece held in place by the metal ring. Chuck of rubber missing but at least most of still there. I do have an early FJ60 similar piece for the transfer case with L manual shift pattern. Odd because this is the inner boot.
PXL_20231026_222838833.jpg
PXL_20231026_222857179.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures side by side of the 84 HJ47RV and the 83/84 60 series.
PXL_20231026_222117406.jpg
PXL_20231026_222625234.jpg

PXL_20231026_222641869.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom